Lock in the lowest price from these sites
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 May 2012

When you see "Vila Aleksandar" you would expect some villa charm, - this is not the case. Yes, it is beautiful building with restaurant at walkway directly at the sea. But the rooms give feeling of cheap accommodation for high prices. Cheap because the carpets were really used with dark stains, the bathrooms where not renovated for last 10 years, equipment inside is quite outdated, and internet connection works somewhere outside the rooms going towards reception. Expensive because all of this costs 28 EUR per person in a double room (56 EUR per room - but it might be well one of the best options along the coast).
However, the hotel is really clean. It has beautiful view to the sea and nice garden. Parking space is directly on the street, not secured from crazy local drivers, but with video surveillance (so, if your car gets hit, at least they can find out who did it). The restaurant is great, and people are quite hospital (please take into account that it is Montenegro, and their behaviour can seem bit rough sometimes - but not ill meant). As we were bit late for breakfast (app. 09:40), the buffet was already removed, but we got personalized service instead with great omelete and bunch of side dishes.
There is beach directly downstairs from the restaurant, which makes real fun for a short jump into water. The old town and port is few minutes away: choose to walk either along seaside on the beautiful renovated walkway, or follow the road towards the castle.
The biggest advantage of this hotel is that it is probably the only hotel you can find in several kilometers distance walking along the seaside around Herceg Novi old town. Not saying there are not others, but it is the only one to easy recognize, and it definitely looks better then ugly looking huge hotel Plaza nearby.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank icetealemon
Reviewed 4 February 2012

There are almost no tourists in Herceg Novi in January, so the hotel was very quiet and may be quite different in summer, but I loved its friendly atmosphere and location between the one-way street that runs through the middle of Herceg Novi and the sea. The Vila Aleksandar is down a small side road which descends from the main road right beside the brash-looking Hotel Plaza and you can get into it from above or from the paved coastal path below. Steps beside the hotel, with its pretty garden, lead between the different levels. The hotel is only 10 minutes' walk from the old town and centre. Its pool usually opens on 1st June. There are 12 bedrooms in the main part of the hotel accessible through reception, most with views of the sea and many with balconies, though some look inland over the garden, and from some you have only a sideways view of the sea once you are on the balcony. There are other four more rooms beside the pool and nine in a separate annexe a bit above the main hotel (high season only). Rooms on the first floor have bath tubs, whereas on the top floor they have showers with rather inefficient shower curtains so water escapes onto the bathroom floor. The loo paper being of a rough texture echoes the atmosphere of the place -- old-fashioned and not luxurious, but functional! Breakfast and other meals are served in the hotel's Aquarius restaurant, right on the coastal path which must be crowded in high season but was almost empty in January. Ljupka (on reception) speaks very good English and is straightforward, helpful and very nice. I paid 35.50 euros for a single room B&B and seemed to me the best value in the area. The location by the sea and close to the centre, and the character of the hotel make this a really special place.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank heather0012016
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I have to write couple of words here: this is smaill family hotel, there is no impresiv luxus but service is exellent;we ware travelling with our 4 months old baby, we ware staying for 12 days. We asked if we can get some baby blouses cleaned, and they wash and iron all our baby stuff same day FREE of charge.
One day I was alone at breakfast and after hotel staff learned that my husband has problem with stomach that day and he is sick at room they offer themselfs to make breakfast specially mild and light for him. Again free of charge.
Stuff is really kind and really making your holiday as pleasant as possible.

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We found ourselves with a couple of days in Herceg Novi and, having discovered that Hotel Aurora had closed [probably down], I insisted that the Eastbourne / Brighton tactic of walking along the seafront until you see something inviting would pay off. And luckily it did.

Hotel Vila Aleksandar is situated right on the seafront with the prom running between the hotel and its cafe's tables. The natural incline that leads to Herceg Novi being known as the City of Stairs means that a lot of the hotel's rooms have balconies or terraces with gorgeous sea views. We took the first room we were shown and were absolutely smitten. Large bedroom with a large south-facing sun trap of a balcony, private lobby area between the bedroom and bathroom, resort-style bathroom (although bizarrely with plain glass in the window and overlooked by houses just up the coast!), plenty of storage, comfortable communal areas... the management clearly expected people to stay all summer. It felt wasteful to leave after just two days. Prices have decreased from those quoted for 2009 on the hotel's website and are probably less than half of what you'd pay up the coast in Croatia.

Helpful and welcoming reception staff speak German and excellent English, although it's worth taking a phrase-book to breakfast. Outside of the high summer peak breakfast is cooked to order with local produce and accompanied by real orange juice and fantastic coffee. A lot of care goes into hospitality here and all of the staff we encountered were charming, friendly and genuinely eager to please. Try to get down for breakfast early enough to grab one of the tables looking straight out to sea.

The hotel is a pleasant 10 minute walk from the centre of Herceg Novi and has direct access to a very decent clean public beach. The hotel allows you to take loungers onto the beach where there is shade under the prom and the pebbles slope gently (rare for this area) to a sandy sea bed. The sea is clear and calm and the deckchair attendant from the adjacent cafe doubles up as a lifeguard. Regular water taxis cross to Luštica and there's a tour boat at least three times a week from Herceg Novi harbour that does the whole Boka Bay cruise thing (well worth the €20 if you have a spare day).

I'm glad we didn't overlook Herceg Novi. With its charming architecture, reasonably-priced decent restaurants, family-friendly beaches and south-facing coastline, it's surprising this town isn't better known as a holiday destination. The promenade follows the route of an old railway line along the coast to Igalo and make sure you don't miss Herceg Novi's socialist-era Park Boka.

Date of stay: June 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClairkeithTeddy
Reviewed 15 January 2010

My partner was staying in this "hotel" for a week, so I called him a few times to his room. Each time I called the reception. The first time I called (it was about 11 p.m.) someone picked up and said they cannot transfer the call, since it's hotel's restaurant. Then I said: fine, give me the phone number of the reception. The guy said that is the direct line, but no one's working there at the moment. (????) I got very angry and said it was an emergency. He screamed: then call him on the bloody cell phone and hung up. I called again and demanded to speak to the duty manager. Well, it was him. He offered to have someone sit there in 15' and I should call again.

Situations like this repeated day after day till this Thursday afternoon. It was about 5 p.m. No one at the reception. Restaurant again. They'll send someone to pick up and transfer the call. This time it was the female owner who picked up. Oh My God! She started screaming: why am I calling, she doesn't know how to transfer the call, who cares if I need to speak to the guest, I'd better call him on the cell phone etc. I was numb. Then I asked why she is yelling at me. Phone dead.

I indeed called my partner immediately to his cell phone and told him about what had happened. Since his room was directly above the FO he has heard everything and was wondering why the woman was screaming and at whome. Can you imagine his reaction when he found out it was me?
The thing is, this woman/manager, after she had hung up on me, started going up the stairs and still screaming about how insane and jealous I am and I have nothing better to do, but to call my partner every day. (We would have used Skype, but their Internet connection is soooo bad). Calling the direct line is cheaper than using the cell phone.

Am I going to go to this place and give them my money? It seems to be a problem even to pick up the phone, not to mention to transfer the call. I don't even want to imagine how it would be like to order a room service or ask for an extra towel! And what about guest's privacy???

Enjoy the Montenegro's exceptional customer service!

Date of stay: January 2010