Asian Jewel Boutique Hotel
US$45
Aditya(Hikkaduwa)
US$175
Priceline
Main Reef Hotel and Restaurant(Hikkaduwa)(Great Value!)
US$25
US$20
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsjasmine roomthe sri lankan currytuk tukshepherds pieoverlooking the lagoonenglish ownerluxury roomposter bedcurriesarrange transportfruit platterpeaceful locationoff the beaten trackbird lakeriver safarilittle toucheshotel is perfect
Reviewed 24 December 2012

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Asian Jewel for 10 days leaving yesterday for final few days in Colombo before heading back to the UK. With festivities almost upon us I thought it worthwhile to post this review now before I lose track of time and events! In short, our stay with Dale and Tanya was outstanding in every respect which for seasoned travellers like ourselves is indeed high praise. Splendid connecting rooms, excellent restaurant and pristine swimming pool. Were fortunate enough to have the place largely to ourselves thus having all the attention needed from all the staff at the hotel. If you're not into package-type vacations and want to experience a touch of the real and almost unspoiled Sri Lanka then make your way to the Asian Jewel in Hikkaduwa. It's about 7 mins by tuk-tuk to the main beach area ( about £1.50). You can walk (which we didn't do due to laziness) but you'll need decent shoes and hat for the mid-day sun! Not much more to add really except to say that a return visit more than likely in not too distant future. Everything you need to know is on the hotel website and if not you can email Dale or Tanya direct for info. Finally, the local staff are a delight to be around and happily not afflicted with customer attitude issues. They are genuinely pleased to help and serve and you'll never hear any back talk which sadly is now par for the course in many hotels and resorts around the world. Local restaurants are plentiful if you want a break from the hotel restaurant. Just ask Dale or Tanya for suggestions.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gieves
Reviewed 11 December 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to stay in this hotel and we only had 3 days to spend in Hikkaduwa, so we wanted to stay in the right place for us. After searching the web for hotels, and going through many reviews on Trip Advisor, we finally came to choose Asia Jewel. Now that the trip is over, I can say we are really lucky we did! I think it was the best choice for us! The atmosphere there is great, peaceful, relaxing and you really feel taken care of. As we got to the hotel to check in we met Tanya who extended a nice and warm welcome to us and offered a lovely mixed fruit juice as a welcome drink. After that, we were shown our Luxury Room with lagoon view named Jasmine, it was the best we could have got! It has all the 5-star hotel amenities (A/C, fan, mini bar, complimentary tea coffee, hair dryer, toiletries...) and it is kept clean and nicely decorated with flower arrangements every day. The only noise you could hear was from the birds around the lagoon in the early morning. We got everything we had been promised and Tanya even had a birthday cake prepared for my boyfriend, which was delicious! We hired the hotel tuk tuk for all the trips from and to the hotel and the price was very reasonable, we also took a boat tour to the lagoon which also included a visit to one of the Turtle Hutcheries, the Cinammon Gardens, one of the Buddist Temples and the Tsunami Photo Museum with some stops in between as well. The tuk tuk driver was very helpful and sharing experiences too... We had lunch in the hotel once (since we wanted to explore Hikkaduwa more the rest of the days) and the food was very nice too! We ordered tuna steak and grilled calamari both with salad and mashed potato. We did not get to use the pool since we were lucky to get nice weather to go to the beach (which is around 7km away) but it looks nice and very clean.
When it comes to the hotel staff, they are all local people and really very nice! they are sweet always smiling and trying to fulfill our needs at all times! I remember some of their names Aruna (who speaks some Italian words!), Sunil, Pala... Thank you so much Tanya and all the staff for making our stay so relaxing and nice!!!! I would definitely stay again when back in Hikkaduwa!!

Room Tip: Try to get a lagoon view room, it is worth to pay a little bit extra!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LU_Travel4life
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I did not stay at the Asian Jewel, or eat there. My niece went there for dinner as she was celebrating her 40th birthday. I wanted to surprise her by picking up the dinner check. Tanya the owner was amazing to work with. She sprung the surprise so wonderfully by making a birthday card, and a birthday cake. My niece was delighted and in tears of happiness. I am in the hospitality business and know first class service. Thank you again Tanya.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We stayed for a week in October 2012 and Asian Jewel really is a lovely small hotel in a wonderful location. Tanya and her staff could not have done any more to make us welcome and look after us , we can not wait to return! The food is delicious and we too had a cookery lesson one evening, my husbands curries are almost as good as theirs these days.

Room Tip: The rooms with the lake view are amazing, worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarriottFamily
Reviewed 10 November 2012

This was our first of four hotels during our trip and by far the best. Everything exceeded expectations. Thank you Tanya and all your staff for making our first impression so memorable. Food, service, friendliness - unbeatable - lovely setting - perfect. Hope to return to Sri Lanka in a few years and hope you will still be there Tanya, we will definately spend more than 3 nights with you next time, thank you. Sue & Paul

Room Tip: Lily for great views of the lagoon & pool
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple