Anantara Kalutara Resort
US$48
US$60
US$77
US$74
All reviewsspice traderskids clubocean wingbedroom villaarrival experiencespice spoonsall day dining restaurantgreat architecturegeoffrey bawaprivate poolsri lankain room diningwalk in wardrobebeach accessteething issuesconstruction sitebeautiful property
Reviewed 30 March 2018

This resort is great for such occasions- about 650 guests were staying in this and the Avani resort- 3 nights of fun and merry-- the rooms are fantastic, huge and spacious. All the facilities are as per the best in the 5 star category . After the function got over , we were returning to our room- but the lights in the passages had gone off- it was total darkness- my better half stumbled against a ledge - very wrong planning ..and she got hurt badly- still nursing a wound and pain after our return to dubai- the hotel should be blamed for having two levels in the corridors on the 3rd floor- why?? otherwise - still a 5 star .

Room Tip: we had the river view- very good from the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
gselves, General Manager at Anantara Kalutara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Dear hiro b

Dear Oldabb

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time and that the team looked after you so well.

I am sorry to hear that your partner stumbled when she returned to the room and was hurt. I hope that she is making a full recovery.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you wish, please contact me at gselves@anantara.com.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

This is my second visit to anantara property. They upgraded us to ocean view suite which was just out of the world.
Loved the hospitality from very courteous staff. Only drawback was very limited option of Indian food.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
gselves, General Manager at Anantara Kalutara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Dear ashish s

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you had an an enjoyable stay and that the team looked after you so well.

When you wish to return please contact me at gselves@anantara.com and I will be happy to assist you personally.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

We just stayed a weekend here. Loved the rooms, especially the washrooms were beautifully done. Also the staff were very pleasant and well trained and concerned of our well being throughout. The food was great as well. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear TripAdvisor user

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights ,
Beautiful hotel with very helpful staff . Rooms are large and very comfortable. We had a sea view room . Pool area facing the lake is lovely . Lots of activities if you wish to take part ie , Aqua aerobics , yoga , cycling and gym sessions . Spa was lovely with good treatments although prices were more expensive than other hotels we had stayed in . Food was delicious especially the breakfasts . Overall we had s fantastic stay here and would definitely recommend it .

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank brenda d
gselves, General Manager at Anantara Kalutara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Dear brenda d

Reviewed 18 March 2018

It's difficult to see why you would ever be disappointed with a stay here. It's a fantastic resort, great pools (one really quiet one), attentive and highly trained staff, excellent rooms, superb food. What is there to dislike?

The staff really are attentive and friendly, and will attend to your every need - you just need to ask - although it’s likely they’ll ask you first! We are vegetarian and were on half board but were never disappointed with the food, both in the morning and evening. If you can manage a snack at lunchtime, there’s a poolside menu as well. For the evening meal, you can ‘upgrade’ to one of the two restaurants but as a veggie I wouldn’t bother as the selection at Olu, the main restaurant, is so good.

As we travel, we like to take cooking lessons if we can to learn more about the local vegetarian cuisine and as Anantara offers a personal cooking class we thought we’d indulge. Wow, and I mean just wow! Amila the chef, listened to our veg requirements – we wanted to use veg we’d never had before – and then off to the local market we went. He bought fresh veg for us to use, took us to a tea shop and then on to a spice grinders before returning to the hotel. The feast we cooked up – 8 veg dishes! - was extraordinary and we ate until we could eat no more! It was around 3 hours in total and really good value for money. We also came away with copies of the recipes. Superb and highly recommended if you really enjoy cooking.

I visited the gym most days to use the treadmill (I know, but I’m a running addict!) and found the guys there really helpful. My wife attended a couple of their classes and they were good too.

Contrary to what some people say, there is a beach and it's very simple to get to! We never used it, not many people did, because there's no services there (which means it's unbelievably quiet and unspoiled) and to be honest you'd burn to a frazzle in a couple of hours anyway. So why worry, just use the pool and have your every need attended to by the staff there!

One word of caution. There was an Indian wedding scheduled for the day after we left and the entire hotel was booked out for it so the guests started arriving the day before. It really changed the ambience of the hotel and sadly we found many of the male Indian guests just blatantly rude, abusing the hotel and the staff. It was a shame and unnecessary but there was little anyone could do as the weddings bring so much money into the hotel. So it’s worth checking to see if a wedding is scheduled during your stay as you may wish to move the dates.

I can’t leave a review without giving a shout out to some of the staff;
• Amila – Spice Spoons
• Usmanka – Waiter
• Chamara – Room Service
• Anton – Restaurant Manager
• Sachintha / Withana / Lahiru – Pool Attendants and Bar
• Chethama – Cocktail Maker!
• Kapila – Gym
• A lady chef whose name I forgot (sorry) but I chatted to about the veg food!

Room Tip: Be wary of rooms with an adjoining door as sound can travel between them
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magnumbazzer

Dear Magnumbazzer

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time, that you enjoyed the food and the Spice Spoons cooking class so much and that all of the team looked after you so well.