“SIMPLE DECOR, GOOD FOOD”

Sam's Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #99 of 174 Restaurants in Kandy
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Sri Lankan
Description: Is a simple restaurant located at the heart of the ancient city of Kandy which offers a perfect place to enjoy an affordable meal while being catered by our friendly staff. Walking distance to the sacred temple of the tooth relic, food city and Kandy city Center; the vibrant new shopping complex in Kandy. We specialize in Chinese foods with unique sri lankan blend and Indian foods. Drop in and enjoy our range of fresh fruit juice, fresh smoothies, Sandwiches, burgers and Submarines and a large selection from an a la carte menu. Biriyani or the house special "Sams Special Fried Rice/ Noodles at Sams is to die for. Drop in and experience the difference.
Reviewed 16 March 2016

We dined at Sam's our first evening in Kandy, after we'd been for a walk around the city centre: It's upstairs and there were plenty of other diners there - decor is rather basic, timber chairs, tables with table-cloths and a few posters on the walls advertising Sri Lankan attractions. We shared a cold Anchor and I had fried rice with chicken, my husband had a vegetable dish. The service was good, the food was also.

Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

I have eaten Sri Lankan food before in other places and I liked it, but beef that was served in this restaurant to me and my gf was horrible. Old, hard to chew, tasteless, and it was supposed to be "Devilled" i.e. very spicy, but it was not.

We were here with our group of 20 people, and many were also unsatisfied, so avoid this place, because obviously locals boost its rating, totally undeserved.

Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

As a kandian this is one of my favourite restaurants in the city. Good food, friendly staff and reasonable prices.

1  Thank Navinda Y
Reviewed 8 February 2016

Tonight went with family to Sam's, after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. I have to wonder if the reviews are real! I honestly cannot recall a more disappointing, poor meal eaten anywhere in Sri Lanka, since I first came here in 1978. With the exception of the fried rice, which was good, though nothing special and available everywhere in Sri Lankan restaurants. It is a dish which everyone makes well here. And the devilled pork which one of my family ordered, was reportedly tasty, and did look fresh and appetising.
Unlike our other dishes. This is called a "Chinese Restaurant"? Even the green tea was uninviting and unpalatable. The ginger beer brought was warm, other drinks very ordinary. The service okay, and reasonably quick, the prices, thankfully, reasonable. Cannot recommend it at all. Nothing Chinese about the experience either, sorry to say.

Reviewed 8 February 2016

went with my family for lunch and it was the best food I had for that price in kandy in a while. The prices are very cheap compared to many places and the food was great too. Overrall a nice place for a family lunch and would recommend for anyone.