“Ok”

Sam's Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #101 of 154 Restaurants in Kandy
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Sri Lankan
Description: Is a simple restaurant located at the heart of the ancient city of Kandy which offers a perfect place to enjoy an affordable meal while being catered by our friendly staff. Walking distance to the sacred temple of the tooth relic, food city and Kandy city Center; the vibrant new shopping complex in Kandy. We specialize in Chinese foods with unique sri lankan blend and Indian foods. Drop in and enjoy our range of fresh fruit juice, fresh smoothies, Sandwiches, burgers and Submarines and a large selection from an a la carte menu. Biriyani or the house special "Sams Special Fried Rice/ Noodles at Sams is to die for. Drop in and experience the difference.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

Food was ok. Not really authentic Chinese, more along the lines of Western style Chinese. Friendly staff and quick service

Hasitha J, Owner at Sam's Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Thank you for sparing your time for a review. Yes we are not authentic chinese but a blend of chinese and local flavour. Hope you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 23 November 2016

Atmosphere was relaxed and clean. Well cooked tasty dishes are definitely recommended. Staff members are very knowledgeable and helpful on their own city and its kandyan culture. Friendly and welcoming place to dine with friends and family.

97  Thank Madura K

Thank you so much for your kind words Mr. Madura. Always a pleasure to see positive words. Glad you enjoyed it a lot and drop in again whenever you are in kandy.

Reviewed 16 August 2016

There are many good places to eat in Kandy. Sam's Chinese restaurant is not one of them. It is, simply put, horrible.
We "dined" there on August 15th, 2016, having reserved and paid 5000 rupees for "reserved" seats on their window ledge to view the Randoli Perahera, a famous local festival.
Sam's Special Fried Noodles is a foul concoction of poorly mixed shrimp paste (chunks the size of peas) scattered through with old shrimp, overcooked vegetables and all glued together with tapioca flour. God Awful. That was mostly left on the table. Next came the Chicken Chop Suey, again a glued together mess of low quality ingredients including bony chicken bits and flaccid Napa cabbage. Finally the "garlic shrimp" with such overcooked, dry little shrimp it was like trying to eat rubber erasers. Our worst dining experience in Sri Lanka.
But what about seeing the Perahera from their window ledge? After all, we put up with the food to have nice reserved seats overlooking the festivities. Again, these were not free seats- we paid nearly $40 US for the privilege. Well, the owner/manager promised us reserved seats and there they were. Ten tiny child seats set precariously on the ledge. He then proceeded to sell more seats inside. Then he sold the window sills, so that we had the feet of other guests banging our heads. When I told him this was not acceptable, he shrugged and replied, "I did not promise to not sell the window sills. You have your reserved seats."
The moral is, dear reader, do not go to Sam's Chinese Restaurant for good food or for "reserved" seating for the Perahera.

Hasitha J, Manager at Sam's Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

First of all lets get the facts straight and start with your entire comment is based your experience in watching the ceremony. If there's any complaint about food a more sensible or a intelligent person would first complain then and there to the staff. Then we wouldn't have charge you for the food.
Let me single out all the lies that you have mentioned in your awful comment.
1. All our vegetables and meat are bought daily from the market and we do not use shrimp paste at all to our foods. We only use chilly and pepper to mix into the Special and we have never used tapioca flour in our restaurant. Please enlighten me on where to buy them so I can personally go and have a look. As I recall you consumed almost the full portion given and if you consider couple of pieces of carrots and cabbage as a large proportion you and I have different measuring methods.
2. Flassid Napa Cabbage- As I mentioned you earlier fresh vegetables are bought daily and we aren't actually using napa cabbage. Since the day one we use white headed cabbage.
3. The fact that you didn't opt to complain about the shrimp still baffles me. A simple complaint would have been sufficient to replace the dish or refund then and there. Your failure to do so only highlights the pure hatred your review is based upon.
4. Before you booked the seats I showed you where you are going to sit and the chairs provided. If you were unhappy about the condition you had the option to look for a much better location that would suit your size and height. After all I cant redo the hotel balcony just to accommodate you in such a shore notice.
5. It is one of if not only major event in kandy that the businesses can benefit upon in kandy. So any business person with a common sense would seize the opportunity. The very high prices of accommodation around Kandy is one example of people making the best out of the situation. So yes we sold seats inside the hotel and on the window. The guests were willing to take the opportunity and we were ready to provide it. If someone knocked you in the head you should have complained at that moment. I recall the lady who was watching with you came up to me and mentioning how much she enjoyed the event. We provide the best that we can which is a good place and a seat to watch the event. Pardon me for not rolling out the red carpet.
Sometimes people have to be more co-operative in such incidents. We have been doing this business for more than 10 years and this is the first instance such a complaint has arose. Every tourist that has come to our place to see the ceremony have left the place happy and feeling great full.
We adore such happy go lucky travelers.
I'm sorry if you had any bad experience in watching the ceremony. Purhaps if you chose to complain to the staff if you have any problem then and there I'm sure you will have many memorable holidays.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

We dined at Sam's our first evening in Kandy, after we'd been for a walk around the city centre: It's upstairs and there were plenty of other diners there - decor is rather basic, timber chairs, tables with table-cloths and a few posters on the walls advertising Sri Lankan attractions. We shared a cold Anchor and I had fried rice with chicken, my husband had a vegetable dish. The service was good, the food was also.

Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

I have eaten Sri Lankan food before in other places and I liked it, but beef that was served in this restaurant to me and my gf was horrible. Old, hard to chew, tasteless, and it was supposed to be "Devilled" i.e. very spicy, but it was not.

We were here with our group of 20 people, and many were also unsatisfied, so avoid this place, because obviously locals boost its rating, totally undeserved.