“Awesome experience except for a few glitches”

ITC Maurya, New Delhi
Ranked #13 of 717 Hotels in New Delhi
Karachi, Pakistan
“Awesome experience except for a few glitches”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed at the ITC Maurya while attending a conference in Delhi. Had an awesome stay in every respect, from the time of check-in till check-out: the staff was very courteous and helpful except every time I needed to go visiting somewhere, i would hit a brick wall... The taxi drivers were more knowledgeable about what's where than the concierge staff itself. Infact on one occasion I ended up almost an hour late for my appointment because the staff guided me to the wrong place! The other disappointing aspects were the breakfast (For a hotel of this stature the breakfast was surprisingly limited especially in terms of the breads and cheeses on offer) and the room which was a tad-bit cramped. On the plus side: The location, within the diplomatic enclave is very green and peaceful (its conveniently located as long as one avoids the rush hour traffic when the road in front of the hotel comes to a standstill!) The Bukhara restaurant is every bit as fabulous as its reviews but well worth every rupee on the exorbitant bill, and as mentioned earlier; the staff is generally very helpful: on departure I was running late and despite the rush of delegates checking out, the hotel was very helpful in arranging a car at an impossibly short notice. And finally, I had left behind some things in my room which, surprise surprise, turned up in a parcel, shipped internationally, at my office a few days later...!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
AnandRaoGMITCMaurya, General Manager at ITC Maurya, New Delhi, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable insights. It is our endeavor at ITC Maurya to offer a truly indigenous experience. We apologize for the reported inconvenience caused and your feedback is being addressed immediately.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ITC Maurya.

General Manager – ITC Maurya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I spent two night at the hotel last week and it was a perfect choice, location wise was good, not too far from the airport (about 30 minutes). Check-in was excellent, the room was clean, comfortable and spacious.Fantastic bathroom & fittings. Breakfast buffet was superb, all staff that we encountered were absolutely friendly, helpful, good smile and excellent service extended to me. Thank you for making my trip very comfortable and memorable, and I will certainly come back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This is very much a business orientated hotel. I suppose this is unsurprising given that it is positioned within the diplomatic enclave. It appeared that much of the clientele were from the diplomatic community or associated business. We stayed here twice, for two nights at the start and one night at the end of our tour of the Golden Triangle. On the second occasion, the President of Mali was staying at the hotel.There was a large amount of overtly armed police and covert security inside and outside the hotel. This certainly prevented giving you a relaxing ambience! The manner in which security is dealt with is a lot more "in your face" than how these engagements are handled in the UK.

The communal areas were smart and functional but lacking in character. There are very few frills that one would associate with what is purported to be 5 star luxury. This carries over into the rooms. On our first stay, we booked the standard room. This was functional and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and there was a pillow menu too. The room looked a little tired around the edges and this was particularly evident in the bathroom. The room standard was more akin to what I would expect in a 4 star property.

On our second stay, we were booked into one of the Mauryan Chambers. This was very well proportioned with large bedroom and living area (open plan). A good sized bathroom and dressing area.The fixtures and fittings were much better than in the standard room and in fact the room felt new whereas the standard room felt very much in need of renovation.

Unfortunately, we were on the first floor and must have been positioned above the ballroom where there was a very loud party (probably in conjunction with the state visit) in progress throughout the evening and early hours of the morning. It was so loud that you could feel the vibration of the music through the floor. Even the complimentary ear plugs couldn't help. We had to leave early morning to get to the airport feeling less than refreshed.

The ITC Maurya is very much a business hotel. Staff admitted that it is regularly used by visiting dignatories. As such, holiday makers would be better suited finding alternative accommodation that will have a more relaxing feel.

I always feel that the quality of an airline can be gauged by it's economy class, much like a hotle can be gauged by it's standard rooms. In the case of the ITC Maurya, the standard rooms are lacking in the quality I would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Overall we were very disappointed in the hotel, would not recommend it to friends or holiday makers and will not stay there in the future.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are more akin to a 4 star property. If staying in the Mauryan Chamber, avoid the firs...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
AnandRaoGMITCMaurya, General Manager at ITC Maurya, New Delhi, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We have viewed your feedback with utmost concern and appreciate your constructive comments. We would like to assure you that appropriate corrective measures are being taken.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to ITC Maurya.

General Manager - ITC Maurya
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We decided to have a holiday with our extended family in India from 26th to 31st December in India, and stayed at ITC Maurya properties in Delhi as well as Agra. All of us believe that it was one of the best holidays we had thanks to the CONSISTENTLY OUTSTANDING service. It will be unfair to single out any one person or department. Right from airport pickup/drop, coordinating our logistics between Delhi & Agra, arranging tour guides, all requests were meticulously attended to.
One of our family members has life threatening food allergies. Every time we had meals in the hotel, the Chef would personally come to understand the nature of allergies and would ensure that there was no contamination. This was the first time ever that we were able to enjoy a wide variety of cuisines without fear.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights this time. This Hotel has progressively gone from very good to average. Service I think is making the main difference - from poor to indifferent is as best as I can describe this. One of the restaurant managers I was chatting with told me that he has been given that feedback before as well by other guests and in his view the main reason of this is that a number of people have been working here for over 20 years making them complacent. I am not sure what the reason is but I can given you examples

i) on check-in - the lady (name tag read trainee) took 5 minutes to realise that she had checked someone else in the room booked for me. I dug out the email confirmation after which she called the duty manager (who's number she did not know so called another front office person to find out) and asked him what she should be doing. She then found the sollution and started the actual check-in process. All this took 15-20 minutes without any information to me (i over heard this entire thing) so I asked how someone could have been checked in in reply to which she denied having any problem at first. So I told her I heard here speak on the phone and I know after which she told me there was another person who had the same last name and hence the confusion. I was also billed for a double occupancy because my name sake had two people staying in the room. All hotels in India ask for a photo ID at the time of check-in so I wonder how someone else could havebeen checked into my room. No sign of regret.

ii) I had a meeting in the Golf bar late night and found in two separate instances cockroaches on the bar counter around my drink. Each time I called the bar man who flicked it off with his palm and a shrug of his shoulder. In this bar, besides the two of us, there was one other person. The three bar men / waiters were all huddled up close to the telephone doing got alone know what. Getting refills or ordering food meant having to shout out to get thier attention.

iii) House Keeping- this hotel seems to have installed a new motion detection system in the room which puts lights off automatically if there is no movement. In the bathroom, this system kept going off and on on its own. In a span of 10 mins that I was in the loo every day, it went on and off atleast 5 times each day. I complained to the house keeping people, got asked detailed questions but nothing changed. Really annoying first thing in the morning.

I could go on but lets move on. The room and bathroom was small and crampped. The TV channel selection was limited. In India cable TV is a negligible cost so why these the limite dlist baffles me.

The food in this hotel is the best part of this hotel. The service at the restaurants is another story.

In summary, there are newer and better hotels in Delhi available for a comparable price. Avoid if you can.

Room Tip: Stay away from Tower One. The rooms are not renovated and tend to be slightly dark and run down (un...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Amits
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate your candid feedback. We have viewed your comments with utmost concern. While, we apologize for the reported inconvenience, we would like to assure you that immediate corrective actions are being taken.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to ITC Maurya.

General Manager - ITC Maurya