“A lot to be improved”

Hotel Chanchal Deluxe
Ranked #418 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed 6 February 2012

+ The location didn’t disappoint us. It’s located just 5 min to the train station and in the heart of backpagers area. They also offer free pick up from the airport.

+ The hotel doesn’t lack staff and they are very friendly.

+ Hotel restaurant is fantastic, cheap and great reliable food. Don´t miss breakfast.

- Not shiny clean room according to western standards.

- Small insects in the bathroom, I didn’t dare to ask their names.

- Noisy, old and difficult to control air conditioning. Don’t forget earplugs and take extra blanket.

Soon after you arrive at the hotel you´ll be offered to book a trip with the hotel travel agency, we hired a driver with them. If you have time and you don’t have a lot of money to spend check prices in the area, haggle and take into account that during the whole trip whatever the option you choose is very unlikely that you won´t end up in a restaurant/hotel/shop where the driver won´t take commission from you. Don´t be shy to haggle even if you see written prices, sometimes you´ll be asked to pay more than ten times the price you should pay. The first day we were lost for 3 hours and we arrived to a city we haven’t agreed with our 20 years experience Rajasthan tour driver and he easily got lost when arriving to a place he didn’t have commission in. Take into account you are in India and you will be all trip dealing with commission men.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank david j

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Don't let the photos mislead you, this hotel is definitely not worth the money it costs (offical rate 1,600 rupees). Yes, it is conveniently located near New Delhi railway station (and airport express metro link) but that's basically it. It is hidden in a dark and bleak alley, full of rubbish and stray dogs and it's not easy to find. So be prepared for touts trying to take you somewhere else while wandering through this horrible area of Delhi.

I received an uninterested welcome by a not very professional receptionist, then I was shown my room. I was given the option to stay at another hotel they belonged because there were works going on, but I preferred to stay as I was exhausted from the intercontinental flight. I will not comment on the noise then, which I decided to bear.

The room was worn and dirty, sheets stained, windows not sealed and the extractor in the toilet - which was horrendous - was actually a fan pushing air out of a hole in the wall, all of which caused the cold January Delhi air to flow freely through the room. There was a decrepit air conditioning device and a heater which obviously didn't work.

When I woke up early to catch a train I found someone sleeping on a mattress in the corridor outside my room, as well as the receptionist, who was sleeping on a sofa.

I was glad I was only staying two nights, in fact when I was back in Delhi after my tour in Rajasthan I went somewhere else.

The only good things I found were hot water, which was available whenever I needed it and abundant, and breakfast, which was served in a decent room and was buffet-style with hot and cold dishes. I just had cereals but the hot food didn't look bad.

Unless it's your last resort, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MadridWings
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We were pleasently surprised when hotel taxi picked us from the airport and took us to our destination.The entrance was bright and welcoming,and we were greeted with glass of cold fruit juice.We were given a room above the reception area on 1st floor.We were soon moved to top floor above the reception area on request due to a better view of the city.We found management very obliging and helpful.Nothing was too much trouble for them.Mr.Rama[manager] showed us several rooms before we chose one.The room was clean and bright,bed was very firm and comfortable ensuring good night sleep.There was plenty of hot water for showers,and floor staff were always present to clean room on request and to provide you with toiltries.The food was excellent.There was a wide choice of menue at breakfast time which changed daily,and the dinners were just as exciting and tasty.The restaurant was very clean and we had a choice to either eat inside the restaurant or out side on a balcony.We found everyone helped us to make our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: room on top floor above the reception area we found to be the best,as room is bright with better vie...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Silversurfers53
BhaskarNewDelhi, Manager at Hotel Chanchal Deluxe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for choosing “Hotel Chanchal Deluxe ” for your recent stay in City (New Delhi). We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

Regards,
Chanchal Group of Hotels

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We got a helpful pick up from airport, secure and comfortable room and reasonable meals in restaurant. The surprise was that they would not process any credit card with a chip inserted. That could have caused big probs re timing for airport if my son hadnt had a basic card. Would rate it a basic transit hotel close to railway.

Room Tip: Asi for larger room on upper levels
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank bettabegoing
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Honestly I could kick myself for booking the trip with the manager. After a long flight and fighting Delhi belly I just went with it. It's over priced and one of the hotels was disgusting, we left and forked out for a different hotel. The trips can be done at half the price on your own. We spent days in a car which could have been done by train. Our driver was lovely though. Complimentary guide at taj Mahal was very rude and obnoxious, didn't like women.

The hotel is noisy all day and all night inside with lifts up and down, staff shouting to each other, door banging, chairs being dragged across the floor etc. The rooms are average and ok location.

I expect the manager will write a reply which will be just words. I've read the other reviews and nothing has changed. The only good thing about this place is the hot shower.

• Stayed: November 2011