“Great Visit!”

The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments
Ranked #98 of 465 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Rented the 2BR apartment. I'll restrict my comments to experience & amenities, as cost is subjective.

I was born in Bombay, and was coming back with my wife and 2 kids to visit family. It was my first visit in 10 years, kids first visit to India, so we didn't feel like jamming into one of my cousins or aunt/uncles places. I decided to get this for 7 nights. AWESOME choice, very nice way to transition. It was clean, staff was super-friendly, but 3 things really stood out:
1) Water pressure in the showers. For us spoiled americans, this is huge. In the past when i've been to India, the water barely trickles out. We had nice hot & solid showers, better than my house back home. Good for blasting the dirt & pollution off our body in the evenings.
2) Buffet breakfast was killer, had both indian & continental options. After 2 days I couldn't handle 3 indian meals/day so I went for cereal, omelettes, & orange juice. Wife/kids stuck with the idli, medu vada, mini dosas, etc.
3) Beds & pillows were comfortable. For a picky sleeper like me, thats critical.

I won't say you can't go wrong as that would be presumptuous, I'll just say that for me & my family, this was an incredible way to start off our India visit.

It seems I can only add a few photos, i'll see if I can add more, but I put them all up here: https://picasaweb.google.com/116376228263190692203/ZTheEmeraldHotelWalkthrough

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing us for your visit and posting your experience with us. It is our constant endeavour to ensure that we offer top notch service and amenities at value for money rates and I am glad that we were able to provide you with a great stay. Hope to welcome you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

we family of 3 stayed at the hotel twice during our trip to india, the hotel was recommended by our friend who has stayed there in the past, we were taken care of from the time we arrived and were enjoying the help and amenities offered by the hotel, we had rented a studio apartment, till we were checking out on the 25th of dec to continue our inbound journey to other city , we were asked to justify the water bottles that were empty in our room from previous to two days, that were not consumed the same day we were leaving, the cleaning guy on 6th floor who was not picking up the empty bottles from the room(2 bottles) reported that had consumed that water same day when we were leaving, i had paid on my bill all the water we ordered, what shame, that they did not trust a customer who was staying there for 5 nights at 6000 rupees per night, and during the second visit, we consumed only one bottle of water and they raised up the charges on the beverage and the front desk wanted to charge me 50% tax on it while the tax rate on beverage is only 12%, they totally ruined the charm and enjoyment i had at the hotel, they need to train their staff to do their math correctly, and by the way after tipping the 6th floor cleaning guy 100 rupees twice to clean our room, we still got cold treatment from him for leaving empty bottles in the room which were there from the day we arrived!!, i am sure there are better choices to stay in Juhu...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you posting your experience with us. We pride ourselves on hospitality and food but clearly has not been the case with you. Sincere apologies for the same. I will personally look into the matter and do the needful. Your review help us become better. I would request you to give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

This was a find. Not expensive but safe, comfortable and clean. Our first two nights in India were spent here, getting oriented. Away from tourist spots but with good restaurants nearby, it is in a good neighborhood that has tons of exotic flavor. Pedestrian and car Traffic out the door is intense, dressed-up camels and elephants in wedding parties on the weekend walking by is not uncommon. hotel Restaurant decent, meeting services fine. The desire of the staff to accomodate is first rate. My luggage never made the transfer in the states and after two days our group moved on to another location two hours away. Air India had the Emerald Hotel contact info and when my bag arrived 3 days later and the hotel was notified, the hotel actually sent someone to the airport to retrieve it. I was able to send for my bags and tipped heavily and was eternally grateful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peggy M
chetanmehta, Owner at The Emerald - Hotel & Service Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your response with us. I have shared your comments with the team as it is always motivating for us to receive positive feedback driving us to further excel in our guest experiences. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you consider a holiday in Mumbai.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed four nights at Emerald. I booked for three people in one room, thinking that as an apartment hotel, the rooms will also be larger than average.
The arrangement turned out to be a folding bed jammed in the space between the double bed and the outside and bathroom door. The space was so small, that the bed had to be shifted around to get to the doors! I really don't think it is right to take bookings for a third person in such a small room! As soon as we got to the room, the duty manager called up and asked if we were happy with the room - obviously we said no! The option offered was to upgrade to an apartment. They initially wanted 5,000 rp a night extra, but we negotiated down to 3,500 rp - still quite pricey. We had no real choice here as we had prepaid for the room via Agoda.
The suite was spacious and comfortable, except that the bed mattress was very soft foam and was giving us back ache after a couple of nights.
Staff were generally helpful, with moderate English abilities, although they did like to push their own driver services every time we asked about Taxis.
The location was not great for us. There is not much to do around Juhu, except for the spectacle of the local beach and an excellent local theater that is nearby. I had underestimated how long it takes to get from Juhu to the South Mumbai area where all the action is. It took between 90-120 minutes in a taxi at all times of day. For most tourists this should be a show-stopper and say that this is not a good tourist location.

Room Tip: Do not book triple occupancy for a hotel room
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your response following your stay. Traffic has always been a problem in a busy city like Mumbai. You can visit our leisure concierge desk for complete details about the travel. Hoping to host you again.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

I was staying in Mumbai for a couple of days before heading off to Aurangabad (for Ajanta and Ellora - highly recommended!), then coming back to Mumbai again, so decided to stay here. I stayed in Colaba when I got back, but I'm glad I stayed in a different area - it felt like a completely different Mumbai!

The area around Juhu is certainly far less touristy than Colaba, but there's still plenty of things around to fill up the day. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to Juhu beach where there are a plethora of street stalls selling excellent Mumbai street food - definitely try the pay bhaji here and the desserts! The hotel is also a short tuk tuk ride from Bandra, which has some great shopping, for much cheaper than you'd find around Colaba. Lucky's Hotel is also in Bandra, which is apparently famous for biryani (Sachin Tendulkar's favourite, supposedly) There are also some of the huge suburban malls a tuk tuk/taxi ride away, if you're into that sort of thing.

The hotel itself is priced well by Mumbai standards. Free airport pickup is included so you don't need to deal with the chaotic airport taxis. The rooms are somewhat basic but clean, and the shower had good pressure. Drinking water is supplied but I bought bottled water to be on the safe side (it's incredibly cheap).

One staff member was pushy fishing for tips which was a bit annoying. I insisted upon taking my bags up to my room myself as I didn't have any change to give tips (and I'm perfectly capable of working an elevator), but this guy was relentless despite me telling him repeatedly that I couldn't give him a tip. When he got to the room - guess what, he wouldn't leave. He even said "I can give you change"… I told him to go away and he did. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful though, and always served with a smile.

I didn't eat at the restaurant for dinner or lunch but the free breakfast was very good, with mostly Indian dishes which I was happy with - I'm travelling to India so I want to eat Indian food! :)

Oh - I was also confused as to whether or not this place had anything to do with the "Best Western Emerald" that was floating around. The stationery included in the room confirmed that it used to be part of the Best Western chain, but no longer is.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay. We strive to provide memorable experiences to all our guests and it's encouraging to be recognized for it. I hope you managed to explore a bit of Mumbai during your stay with us. Look forward to welcoming you back again.