“Lovely rooms, good place to stay near the airport, but beware some 'extras'”

Hilton Mumbai International Airport
Ranked #27 of 444 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
brighton
“Lovely rooms, good place to stay near the airport, but beware some 'extras'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our second time at the Hilton, we were not disappointed with the hotel. The entry is impressive, staff friendly and welcoming and the room comfortable and beautifully appointed.
(Not the fault of the hotel we did not have a good night sleep, as the guest in the room above paced their room in shoes on parquet flooring...well after 1 a.m. and then again from 6a.m.!! maybe carpeting would have reduced this awful noise!!)
My only criticism is of a couple of 'rip-off' costs which I really do not understand in this day and age. Firstly the exorbitant cost of wi-fi access to 'ordinary' people!! In a country where the average internet cafe is ridiculously cheap, to be asked £10 for a day's internet seemed very unreasonable.
But the biggest waste of our expenditure was the car back to the International Airport!! We booked a car for 11 in the morning again at a cost of £10. BIG mistake!!! no-one told us that we had the option to walk out of the hotel to a rank of local taxis.... We were then asked to wait in the car for about 10 minutes while the driver materialised... and then the drive to the airport was about 2-3 minutes....just up the road literally!!! In the UK we think nothing of these sort of prices for taxis... but knowing costs in India, a rip-off in any language is still a rip off!! for your information, a local taxi would cost no more that a couple of pounds... and you wouldn't have to wait for it!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jax_46Brighton
Vkapai, General Manager at Hilton Mumbai International Airport, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear jax_46Brighton,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Mumbai International Airport, we are pleased that the hotel and our service met your expectations.

Your feedback is valuable to us and we have taken note of your comments regarding the costs of the wi-fi access and our hotel taxi. For your information, our Concierge is able to arrange for local taxis if so requested. We are sorry if this option was not communicated to you at the time.

We also apologise for the inconvenience you experienced from the noise of the guest room above, which we will look into in efforts to minimise the noise level.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Vikas Kapai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Don't stay at this hotel if you want the Indian experience or want to be within walking distance of any shops or restaurants. This is a very, very elegant western style hotel with five star amenities, comfortable beds, excellent bathrooms and extremely clean rooms. we stayed here on the last night of our trip to be close to the airport to go home. We had access to free WiFi because i am a Hilton diamond member, otherwise you have to pay for it anywhere you are (lobby or room). we had the free happy hour and appetizers on the executive floor which ended up making us sick because it contained washed vegetables. we assumed a hotel of this rating would use boiled or filtered water but that unfortunately was not the case. shame on us for letting our guard down. other than that we had a wonderful experience. we ate lunch down by the pool and it was very tasty although took 45 minutes to come out. we ate dinner at the golden dragon and it was very tasty.

The spa was an interesting experience. I wanted to go get a manicure so I took the elevator down to the bottom floor to the beauty salon. As soon as I stepped out I was smacked in the face with a toxic lemon smell. It was so horribly strong I thought of turning back. I went to the desk to ask about getting a manicure and no one was to be found. Three people poked their heads out from behind a corner, smiled and said hello then disappeared. Finally someone came by to help me and told me they were very busy and the next available appointment was in an hour. Sadly, there wasn't a single customer in the salon so I went back upstairs. Very poor service for a hotel of this status.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AMS1342
Dear AMS1342,

We are delighted that you found our hotel comfortable for your last night in India despite the inconvenience you experienced.

With regards to our food quality, we have a lab commissioned to carry out monthly checks on our food, and our raw food does get washed in accordance with India's food and safety standards. We sincerely regret your illness during your stay.

We have also looked into your comments regarding the spa. My team is indeed looking into and taking steps to reduce the strong lemon odour. And after checking through the spa's records, on the day you went for your manicure, the team was fully booked with appointments. We apologise if this was not conveyed to you at the time.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will visit us again in the future.

KL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is an older Hilton property but is very well maintained. The staff are efficient and very friendly. Guests are made to feel very welcome. I stayed on the Executive Floor. The room was comfortable but the bathroom was a little small. It had the full range of facilities. The evening cocktails were good and teh wine flowed freely. The hot breafast was freshly prepared. Thje one downside is that the hotel is surrounded by building sites for a new terminal and accces road, however, once in the the noise was not an issue.

The restaurant food is OK but not outstanding.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Robert R,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality at Hilton Mumbai International Airport.

Thank you for your valuable feedback on the room, facilities, food offerings and our service. Indeed, my team do their utmost to ensure the comforrt and well-being of our guests, and I am most pleased that you were well taken care of during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Doha
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

On the positive, this hotel is very close to the Mumbai airport and I was granted an "early check-in" at 6 a.m. (after waiting for 1.5 hours though... had I checked in before 6 a.m. I would have had to pay a full night at over 300 USD a very steep hourly rate).
On the negative, the little flies in my room were to many and particularly the one that jumped up and down on the pillow next to me was too annoying. The breakfast was very average.
The dinner by the pool similarly average... the grilled prawns were the highlight while the lobster bisque was just awful.
Service was very friendly and helpful.
The cost for hotel cars is approximately 200-300% above what you pay for a taxi service with a similar car.
I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank michael_portz
Vkapai, General Manager at Hilton Mumbai International Airport, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear michael_portz,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Mumbai International Airport. We sincerely regret that your experience with us was not satisfactory.

While we are pleased that our service met your expectations, we are very sorry that you had to wait during your check-in. We also appreciate your candid feedback on the room and food offering. My team will look into your comments and will certainly take steps to improve on our food and cleanliness standards.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will consider coming back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you be planning another trip to Mumbai.

Vikas Kapai
(+91 22 2926 2601 / vikas.kapai@hilton.com)
Rossendale, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is my first visit since the hotel changed from a Starwood Hotel to a Hilton.

The hotel has not changed too much. The rooms are very comfortable and everything works. It has a very nice boutique feel, and I like the willing service. I have used the hotel in the past because it provides a nice introduction to India, and to date, I have not come across a guest who has had any trouble adjusting to the food, or any problems after visiting the hotel.

I did have a problem on this visit that would prevent me from returning, and offer this as a caution to others.

The hotel does (now) seem to go out of its way to try to confirm your exact arrival time. I checked in twice, once from Dubai at approx. 4am, the second from Ahmedabad at approx. 8pm.

The early morning arrival at 4am was no problem, I had booked the hotel for the night before, and my room was ready immediatley on arrival, as it should have been.

The 8pm arrival was a problem, I suspect because those leaving for overnight flights has not left yet. However I had pre-paid, so I should not have been waiting for a guest to check-out, my room should have been blocked off at my check in time. A request to see the manager solved the problem within 15 minutes, but I was left with the feeling that the hotel is maximising occupancy at my cost. Other guests, perhaps less well travelled, had to wait for a room past 9pm that night.

I should say of course, that perhaps I was unlucky, maybe this has never happened before, and will never happen again. No doubt this is not a problem when the hotel is not fully booked. Maybe the hotel was trying to be helpful and allowed too many late check-outs. Still after staying in 100s of hotel over a 20 years period this is only the second time that a pre-paid booking has not been honoured in full, so I take a dim view of it.

A pity, but after a long flight from Europe or America, you need to know a booking is a booking, with 100% certainty, based on my experience I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: The big problem is that even with a pre-paid booking you cannot be sure of a room being available at...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank RallyMonkey
Vkapai, General Manager at Hilton Mumbai International Airport, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear RallyMonkey,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Mumbai International Airport, it is a pleasure to know that you still found the hotel to be comfortable and service commendable since your previous visits.

I do, however, sincerely regret the inconvenience you experienced upon your night arrival. While I am happy to note that this situation was promptly resolved for you, I also agree that your pre-paid booking should have been honoured. Please rest assured that my team is aware of this matter and will spare no efforts on improving our processes and communications for the benefit of all our guests.

We truly appreciate your constructive feedback and hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are next in Mumbai.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly through my details below should you be planning your next trip or have further feedback.

Vikas Kapai
(+91 22 2926 2601 / vikas.kapai@hilton.com)