“I only stayed here because I had no other choice.”

Hotel Metro International
Ranked #368 of 465 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed 27 May 2012

con: rude staff, unsafe building (windows in room don't close, building itself looks like it is falling apart), lacks basic amenities (ie. hot water), loud street traffic both day and night
pro: convenient airport shuttle service, decent food

I would have never chosen this hotel by choice. I was in a desperate situation. Still, this hotel was ridiculously awful. I landed in Mumbai from Singapore late one night in December 2011. My friend was supposed to meet me at the airport and take me to his place. Around 1 am,I was still at the airport. It was getting late, I was tired, hungry... I didn't want to, but at last I decided I ought to book a hotel at the hotel counter outside the terminal where I had been waiting for hours, as it became apparent my friend wasn't coming after all. What a terrible first experience in India! The hotel made it even worse.
A black SUV came to pick me up within 10 minutes. I felt nervous getting in, as I wasn't sure if the SUV would really take me to a hotel. I was relieved when the SUV pulled up to a building with a hotel sign. Still,the hotel was terrible. I had paid a deposit before getting driven to the hotel. Once at the hotel, they tried to charge me the full price, but I told them I had paid the deposit already. They obliged, but I felt annoyed that they had tried to rip me off when i had been there only 5 minutes. Then, I still needed to pay the remainder of my hotel bill. I wanted to use my credit card because I was short on cash. However, their credit card reader wasn't working. I hadn't exchanged enough rupee in Singapore, so I paid in US dollar and got a terrible exchange rate.
My room was awful too! No hot water, broken color TV, windows that wouldn't close all the way (which I did not notice till morning). To top it off, the traffic on the road in front of the hotel was LOUD. Even at four in the morning, I could hear cars honking like mad.
In the morning, I ordered a sandwich and chai tea.The food was all right, but every time I paid, the man would not give me my change! It was only 2 rupees, but I found that rather rude.
I enjoyed the free shuttle service to and from the airport. While at the hotel, I finally got in touch with the friend who failed to meet me the night before. He decided to meet me back at the Mumbai Airport, so I found the hotel's airport shuttle service useful in the morning. However, the hotel made me leave an hour earlier than I wanted to because there were other guests who would be leaving at that time. I didn't mind that much, though, because it was a terrible hotel and I didn't really want to stay there any longer.

Room Tip: Get a room without a window, the windows don't close anyways! A room at the front of the buidlin...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Lisa B

Reviewed 13 December 2011

On one of my trips to Mumbai I was put up at this hotel and it was a complete horror. The first thing you will realise which you reach the destination is that the building is a dilapilated shanty. As soon as you reach the enterance of the hotel you will be greeted by a strong stench of urine. The lift which will take you to your room is creeky, small , not lit and to a point dangerous. The first room I was put is was so bad that its difficult to describe. The room was dirty, the toilets were soiled, the AC had no remote or any other controls just an on and off button. The AC made so much noise that you couldnt keep it switched on. The electical swotched were broken. The Bathroom tap was broken and the water trickled and did not flow. Out of the 4 lights in the room 2 were not working. This was a room on the first floor.

When i complained the staff showed me a different room in the same floor which was even worse. Then I was showed one another room on the 2nd floor which was slightly better but still unhabitable. The room had no windows. The breakfast in the morning was served on the 2nd floor corridor and there was no place to sit to have the breakfast .Over all I have not stayed in a place worst than this.

Room Tip: room on the second floor. As much as possible avoid
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank amitroychoudhary
Reviewed 26 November 2010

''Hotel was good ,although the room on 1st floor was not up to the mark but the new floor good for day or two stay.'' reach early to get hot breakfast there they do not take care for guest after 9:30 AM.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank a_0081
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I arrived in Mumbai on 11th Sept 2010 at 17:20 with my family. I had a connecting flight to Goa the following morning at the ridiculous time of 3:55am. Taking into account reporting times and check-in processes it would have meant we needed to be at the airport for at least 1:55am. So we decided to find a hotel to rest for a few hours. Walking over to the terminal hotel counter we requested for the cheapest hotel available, and offered to us was Hotel Metro International. at Rs. 1800 for a twin bed room. As there was 4of use travelling, we took 2 rooms at Rs. 3600. The price included a complimentary pickup by the hotel's own vehicle. Within 2 minutes of paying, the vehicle was outside the terminal waiting for us. Journey to the hotel took around 30 minutes, quite understandable given the amount of traffic that fills Mumbai.

The hotel itself it somewhat hidden behind another, and is not noticeable from the main road. Check-in was standard procedure as usual - "passports please, sign here, thank you". The casual small talk involved our plans for travelling, and the topic of Goa opped up. The hotel offered to take us back to the airport for free for our morning flight to Goa, we gladly obliged! We decided to order some dinner to be delivered to our rooms. Food was pretty good, and I'm told it was made fresh on the floor below. For the few hours that we did manage to get a kip it was pleasant.

Our itinerary was such that we would be returning back to Mumbai from Goa to spend a few days shopping before travelling back home to London. We thought it would be better for us to use the same hotel again. Now the interesting thing was, despite having booked two rooms to rest in, we actually ate, chatted and watched TV together in the one room. So I had a little chat to Vinod (the really friendly guy at check-in desk) and asked if we were to return again from Goa, would he be able to give us one room but with 4 beds. He explained that it would unsurprisingly be congested, and that they normally do not allow it. I explained to him that we would only be sleeping in the room, and that for most of the day we would be out shopping, so congestion would not be an issue to us at all. He was happy to oblige. Better yet, we even got Rs.600 off. The complimentary airport pick-ups/drop-offs are just an extra bonus. Furthermore, they even offered to give us one of their cars for the day when we return back to Mumbai to do our shopping/sight-seeing - at only Rs. 1500.

Overall the hotel was clean, friendly and very professional. I would think its more suited to the business consumers, but a family could very happily stay here. My only gripe would be the plug sockets in the rooms weren't too great - one didn't work and another was loose. Other than that, I would definataly return again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Hard for taxi drivers to find, either from the airport or central Mumbai.
One small cockroach in the bathroom, but rooms apart from that fine, with TV, late night check-in, quiet A/C and rapid room service.
Greedy staff, with pressure to pay for the "complementary" airport drop-offs creating a bad atmosphere at the end of a nice holiday. Also, attempt to "forget" about pre-payment through hotels.com.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple