“Bad service and bad food”
Review of Gaylord

Gaylord
Ranked #83 of 14,880 Restaurants in Mumbai
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marine Drive
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Gaylord, a continental and north Indian cuisine restaurant situated at Mayfair Building, VN Road, Churchgate, Mumbai. The restaurant has a variety of items in their Menu ranging from Chicken, fish, lobster, duck, lamb etc. This place is specially known for its variety of desserts and cakes.

My experience at the hotel started on a very negative note. We had ordered the late harvest chenin blanc wine of Sula vineyards, which is a white wine. The waiter served the wine to us and it was red in colour. When enquired about the same, we were informed that its the same wine however they have added colour to it as a change. We tasted the wine and its taste was not like it should be. After about 10 mins, the manager came to the table and informed us that by mistake they have given us an outdated wine, which had gone bad and hence it had turned red. Highly unprofessional behaviour on the part of the hotel. The bottle was replaced with a new one, but till then we had already finished more than half of the old wine.

In starters, I had the Pomfret A’la Gaylord, Sicilian shrimps and the Gaylord Grilled Chicken. The pomfret was grilled perfectly and had a covering a green chutney over it, which tasted amazing with the fish. The shrimps were cooked in red chilli sauce and were served with crispy onions and vegetables. The Grilled Chicken was the classic grilled chicken leg cooked to perfection, covered in asparagus and served in a matki. Nice touch. I was really happy with the starters.

In mains, we ordered the Tuscan Chicken, which consists of diced chicken served with smoked bacon and ham in mushroom sauce. The chicken and ham was cooked good however the bacon was almost raw and unedible. Also, the sauce did not have any taste and was very sweet, making it a very weird combination with the chicken.

I also ordered the mutton dum biryani. Since, I have eaten biryani at many places, the taste of dum biryani is something I am very familiar with. The mutton dum biryani that was served here was very dry, the masala of the biryani had a very weird taste and quantity of the biryani was also very less. Also, there was no raita or gravy served with the biryani. We ordered the raita, which was served after 10 mins thus having no use.

The staff was not at all courteous or attentive. Even for water, we had to ask and wait for 2 mins, before it was served. The price of the items is also quite exorbitant when compared to the taste of food and the quantity being served. I had to shell out ₹7500 for a normal meal for 4 people. Not a place I would suggest to visit.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We were hosted here by Indian friends. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was very traditional and fun.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

The restaurant is located just off the Marine Drive and they have seating both inside(Air conditioned) and outside.

The food is good,if you love North Indian food. I found the Non Veg selection and preparation is a tad above their veg selection.
They have some signature salads and non veg dishes.
The ambiance is good and the service is warm,may be a bit slow.

Found to be a bit expensive,may be location warrants that!

Reviewed 14 October 2017

I was taken here by my Indian business colleagues as it is one of the places they take visiting business partners. We picked a variety of menu options and shared these amongst ourselves including a great Chicken curry dish, a vegetable dish and a kebab dish including Rotis. All were very good and tasty and there was nothing left on our plates after the meal. Inside the décor is modern with good seating and the service was very good. Cost was typical for this type of restaurant (around 600-1000 for mains). I would return again if given the opportunity again.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

I visited this restaurant after almost 20 years. This time with my daughter of 8 years. The place is the same , the same warmth and they have maintained quality. One can easily qualify it is an heritage venue. Even the staff appeared to be there for long. The owner met me with a warmth of recognition though I am sure it would be next to impossible to recall after ages.... do visit & enjoy a great hospitality