“great service”

Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park
Ranked #22 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Ottawa, Canada
“great service”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

the hotel is quite old, and you can tell, not my taste when it comes to the decoration and feel. The gym was very basic and closes early and the swimming pool not worth to mention. The only thing i liked very much was the service and friendlyness of the staff. This hotel is great for a business stay as it accomplishes what it promises: clean and spacious rooms, good food, friendly staff. Nothing else

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
SheratonPark, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park, responded to this review, 6 January 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for not having met your expectations on the points highlighted and assure you that we have already initiated corrective steps to ensure these are not repeated.

Thanking you once again for your valuable feedback and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sheraton Park Hotel & Towers, Chennai. Yours is a relationship we cherish.

Virender Razdan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Indonesian first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The hotel was well located and I must say that the services provided by some staff were truly remarkable. The day I checked in on 23rd December, we wanted to have our dinner at two of the restaurants (Dakshin and The Residency). However, they were fully booked. Was very dissapointed at first as did not have a good option to have dinner at hotel even though as hotel guest. The F & B Manager , Mr Virender Thapa, was fast enough to notice my dissapointment and he immediately worked his level best to ensure that I get a place at the Dakshin. He finally worked his way thru to get a table for us. I was very impressed with his intentions to get me a table and I knew it was not an easy task especially when they were running full house. I must say THANK YOU to Mr Virender Thapa for his kind gesture. I was truly taken a back with the quality of food from the Dakshin... WOW.... A MUST VISIT Restaurant. I have visited Tamil Nadu for the last 10 years and have never had such great food. Truly authentic South Indian food. I immediately booked a table for the rest of my stay at the hotel in Dakshin. I met with the Chef, Chef Harish, who was kind enought to meet us and I MUST say that I was impressed not only with his quality of food but with his hospitality as well. One of the guest server, Palanivel, was there to help us make the food selection. He was simply awesome and we totally left him to decide on the Menu for our dinner. He took pride to understand our requirements and needs. His selection was just awesome!!!! YOU must eat there to experience the authentic south Indian food. Only then you will understand. We immediately asked him to decide our Menu for the rest of the times we were there. When we came in the 2nd day, he has already prepared the menu for us for the other 2 days as well. YOU must ask for Palanivel when you are at Dakshin if you are not sure what to have for dinner. He will try to understand your requirements and will provide best options. This restaurant has won many awards and I must say that it is World Class!!!! The roooms were spacious and the service rendered was great. Every night we were given a "ointment" to be sprayed at our wrist/forehead ( for relaxation / stress reliever) before you sleep.. This is unique to this hotel.... A MUST try. They had good snacks in the late mornings / afternoons at the lobby for guest. There was an auntie there making filter coffee and serving Indian snacks. You just taste the filter coffee... wow.... so aromatic. My only dissapointment was the fact that the hotel discontinued all Tamil channels. I stayed there for 4 days and although they had almost 70 plus channels, there were NO Tamil or local channels. There was no notification from the hotel either. When I enquired, the engineering department just mentioned that it was discontinued.I approached the Manager, ( Ms Noosa), and she too was not aware of this. No explanation was given to me until I checked out and requested for an explanation. I just find this NOT acceptable that for a Hotel based in Chennai, and Tamil Channels not provided for guest. Is the hotel catering for customers based in Tamil Nadu or other parts of the world? I was told that there was some technical issues, but am just suprised why we can then receive slots from other parts of India. I could see the that hotel/ manager did NOT take this seriously. As I guest , I see this as a discrimation!!! The hotel did not "bother" to come back to me even though I addressed this twice. They obviously did not take this seriously. Other than that, I must say that all their other staff such as the Bell boys. workers were just splendid. I may arise a small matter, BUT will not accept the fact that the hotel took this lightly especially when it comes to local Tamil programmes in its network. It seemed to me that the hotel did not cater for Tamil Nadu customers or Tamilians from other parts of the world. The hotel is going thru some renovations but it ensured that the noise level and disctruptions were minimal. Other than this matter.... it was a comfortable stay for me and family. Ideal Location.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Shankar_Nagalingam

New York City
Reviewed 29 December 2011

If 6 stars were an option, then 6 stars it would be. I stayed here twice in mid-December. I was given a room in the Tower wing for my first stay. The room was spacious and nicely furnished, although showing wear. (I understand the Tower wing is closing for renovations.) I had the option of having breakfast either in the main breakfast area or the Tower restaurant. The latter was far quieter and had a beautiful view over a residential area of Chennai. The food was excellent at both breakfast locations. For my second stay I was assigned a room on an "Eve" (women only) floor. The amenities were frankly amazing. I have never had a bathroom come complete with nail polish remover! Dry cleaning was picked up from my room even though I had forgotten to call, and was delivered promptly - and with a rose. I truly struggle to find anything to complain about this hotel. Every single staff person with whom I came in contact was unbelievably gracious and helpful. I could not have asked for more. Oh - and the restaurant, Dakshin, serves fabulous south Indian food in a lovely setting. Should I return to Chennai I will not consider staying any place other than the Park Sheraton.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to know that the services rendered were up to your expectations. It is feedback such as yours that inspire us to strive for greater heights of excellence in our services.

Bangalore
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This is one of those hotels I would happily recommend to others - Good location, clean, neat (inspite of aging quite a bit). This is an iconic Chennai hotel (still referred to as Adyar Gate Hotel). The south indian restaurant Dakshin is a must try in my opinion.

Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JLNBLR

Reviewed 15 December 2011

Staying on an apparent corporate package. Internet - poor bordering non existant. Room - poor for business, on smoking floor and I'm a smoker but even I was appalled by the smell. Service - poor apart on the rocks, bill incorrect three times which were the three times checked. Extras non existant, hotel runs off wedding functions and businessl treated as second class. Lifts! One working on whole of floor. Shocking hotel, run down but with sweet people that say sorry and make excuses very well for everything that is wrong with the place. Very bad experience and Sheraton it seems just doesn't care. Chennai and Sheraton for you, lots of promises but no substance or delivery and a completely unsatisfied customer. My stay was 17 days so I do think I'm qualified to comment before the moderators of feedback claim anything different to what I have said in this post. Terrible!!!! But a good three thousand dollars for the hotel with no effort or quality required. Room 1529 mister franchi for your records mister can't be bothered itc Sheraton international group. Appalling on all levels but I doubt you care

• Stayed December 2011