“Hotel Mangalam - Great find in Kolkata”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mangalam Hotel

Mangalam Hotel
Ranked #129 of 218 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Euless, Texas
“Hotel Mangalam - Great find in Kolkata”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

In September of 2010 I spent 6 nights at Hotel Mangalam on the Sarat Bose Road near the centre of Kolkata. I am a frequent visitor to the city and am always looking for a good but economical hotel. After reading a printed review I decided to give the Mangalam a try and I was pleasantly surprised.
Booking a room was easily accomplished online and I was even able to pay for the room in advance which I found to be a great help in balancing my trip budget,
Check-in was a breeze and I was taken to a room on the top floor which faced the interesting neighborhood directly behind the hotel.
The room was an Executive-type and was spacious. There was a king-sized bed, writing desk and chair, armoir, and a small table and chair with tea maker. A refrigerator was located next to desk and broadband internet was available upon request.
Complimentary breakfast was served every morning at the Radhekrishna Restaurant on the ground floor. The breakfast was always an an excellent buffet which often featured southern Indian dishes. If I was working in my room in the morning and had not yet appeared for breakfast the staff would ring my room to remind me to come downstairs to the restaurant. I found that to be a nice touch.
Room and bathroom were always maintained and well-cleaned. Laundry service was quick and economical.
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated near the Laxmi Narayan temple on Sarat Bose Road and good shopping, cinema and Metro station (Rabindra Sadan) are all within walking distance, although taxis are plentiful on this busy street.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel Mangalam and look forward to staying there on my next trip to Kolkata.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Paul H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 25 February 2011

After great struggle found one reasonably good hotel in Kolkatta. Rooms were clean, TV, room service everything fine. Only problem was with breakfast. Very few items served and restaurant also didnt had many varieties for the dinner. Its comfortable to stay but not for food.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Sweet_Rams
orlando, florida
Reviewed 31 December 2010

It was cold and it was almost midnight and I didn't have a place to stay. I was on a scooter, driving, looking for a place to stay. I found this hotel open and asked for a room. The manager was friendly and we negotiated a deal (a bit of a discount over published rate).

The room was clean. I had hot water for a shower. The bathroom was clean and nice. The bed was typical of Kolkata hotel; a bit thin and small. But it wasn't rock hard and it was clean. Room was quiet. Woke up and had breakfast buffet which was good and included in the room price.

Overall, it's a decent value for the mid-priced hotel. There aren't that many mid priced hotels in Calcutta. I tried to stay there for my next visit, but the hotel was completely booked.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Bangkok
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I'm a frequent visitor to India and the only thing that bothers me in the country are the usually overpriced hotels (at least in the major cities). I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in India, so I have a bit of experience in that area. Too many hotels are a letdown.

In April 2010 I ended up at Hotel Mangalam for a 5 day stay, more or less by accident, as I had planned to stay at Hotel Gardenia (due to good internet reviews), but my taxi happened to stop a few meters past Gardenia right in front of Hotel Mangalam. So I thought, why not give it a try.

I'm happy I did give it a try. I took one of the more expensive rooms (2500 Rs. plus 5% tax) and the room was large, very clean and well-equipped, with broadband internet, fridge and TV. Despite being located on a busy road, my room (at the back) was very quiet and I couldn't hear the ubiquitous honking.
Minor quibbles would be that the room could have been a bit brighter (there is only one bed-table lamp instead of two), and the curtains could be thicker and darker, so that early morning light wouldn't wake you up. Breakfast (veg) is included in the price, and though tasty enough, the choice is very limited. Service was unfailingly friendly and polite, when an air conditioner in my room stopped working I was shifted to another room without any fuss.

Bottomline: Compared to all other hotels that I've stayed in in Kolkata, I was quite happy with what I got for my money and on my next trip to Kolkata will definitely stay at Mangalam again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo