“Perfect Place for a Quick Getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dauphin Island
Dauphin Island Harbor House
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is such a great place to stay! We wanted to get out of town just for a couple of nights, but the places I called on Dauphin Island were all 3 night minimums (no minimum at the bed and breakfast). I ran across the Dauphin House Bed and Breakfast and I'm so happy I did. From my first phone call to turning in my key upon our departure, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. We stayed in Room 5 and some friends stayed in Room 3. Everything was very clean and the breakfast was wonderful. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. I will stay here again on my next trip to Dauphin Island.

Room Tip: On my next trip, I would like to get one of the rooms with a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sthrnmiss75

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed every bit of our stay. We stayed in #6 and the bed was extremely comfortable with a foam mattress topper. Having a private bathroom to ourselves was very nice as well. Every morning we went to the dining room and was served a hot breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage/biscuits/pancakes/fruit/grits and cheese. Fresh Coffee and Orange Juice. We had great conversations at the breakfast table with other guest. While we were on the island we rode the ferry over to Gulfshores and Orange Beach for the day and came back on the ferry. Pay attention of the ferry times. We never had a problem getting on the ferry. The 2nd day we spent time on the Dauphin Island West Beach and rented 2 chairs and 1 umbrella ($25) and walked the beach as far as we could go. The beach was beautiful and I felt as I was walking I was all alone with my husband on a deserted island! The West Beach has A/C restrooms, Vendor that cooks hamburgers and etc. We did not eat from the vendor but it looked clean and decent. Before you get in your car there are showers to rinse off. The West Beach charges a small price I think my husband and I paid 8 dollars for the day. After 6pm it was free. My husband and I did not want to leave. We plan to revisit again really soon! Everyone was so friendly and we felt like we were at home. The staff Rhonda/Janet and George were super sweet. Janet called me Sunshine :) Rhonda was sweet also and will continue to keep in touch with her. We did not get the pleasure to met George's late wife Carol. I had heard she loved history and knew so much about the history of the Island. If you want a relaxing stay and love hanging out on the beach this is a very nice place to go.

Room Tip: We stayed in 6 so we could look out at the bay. The room above us was 8 and has the same view.
3  Thank Prudence S
Reviewed 22 July 2014

First, you have to understand Dauphin Island in general. They do not allow any chain restaurants or hotels so everything will be small and local. If this isn't what you want, you shouldn't visit Dauphin Island. As for Dauphin House, we have stayed several years for the fishing rodeo and the occasional weekend get away. We had stayed at another hotel on one trip but found this hotel and fell in love with it. It is small and quaint. Everyone treats us like family. Breakfast is very good. You can relax on the dock or under the trees all day with a book (your own or one from their lending library), wander into the kitchen, basically act like you are in your own home and are always greeted with a smile from everyone there. The staff will tell you everything you need to know about the island and help you any way possible. And in all of our visits I've never seen a roach!

Room Tip: I like the outside rooms where you have a better view
2  Thank Janis P
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I did a weekend getaway to Dauphin Island for the 4th of July. Our original plan was to stay in a hotel off the Island about 20-25 min away. Last min. we change our minds and booked the Dauphin House. Yes, there are mixed reviews about this place but this is our take on it. First, our condolences to Mr. George on the passing of Miss Carol. He told us a great story about her and we are sorry we didn't get the chance to meet her. OK, what BEST about DH, the PEOPLE that run this B&B, you won't find finer. They treat you like "family". Like they have known you all our life. The LOCATION, we wanted to stay on the Island so we could go to Fort Gaines, Fort Morgan, the Dauphin Island Sea Lab Estuarium, Gulf Shores, Bellengrath Gardens, etc. This place was perfect. An easy drive to everywhere. And the Ferry was a 3 min. away! This place is also right on the bay. So most if not all day we had a nice breeze that blew in. The fireworks show....we have seen better, but from this community, we did not expect what they had. Really enjoyed it. What's GOOD...breakfast. Wasn't great...but was really good. Variety, flavor, fresh cooked, coffee, juice...all really good. Less, then GOOD, but OK...the rooms. Yes, I agree with some that the rooms need some renovations BUT, our AC blew us out! COLD! Rarely do I say an AC is too cold, but this one qualifies. The room we stayed in #4, was very clean, fresh towels, unlike BGHL3, we did not see a single bug of any kind (and this is in JULY!). The bed, pillows were very comfortable. So all in all, I have stayed in much worse. Would I stay there again...ABSOLUTELY. One final comment...there are very few restaurants on the Island, we enjoyed Islanders and JT's Sunset Grill. Thanks to the Staff of this B&B, we enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Enjoyed Rm 4
4  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The owners Carol and George are engaging, warm, caring and helpful. They shared tips/info about the island and made sure to make my brother and I feel very welcome.

Our stay did not start smoothly - their staff forgot to clean the room my brother and I had reserved, so we were switched to a different room. Soon after, the bathroom ceiling started leaking due to the huge flash flood storm going on, and it shorted out the bathroom light. It was cold and we could not figure out how to turn the heat on. The pillows were flatter than I prefer. But, the mattress was a good balance of soft/firm and the comforter kept us warm enough. In the morning when we told them about all this (we had gotten there around 8-9pm), they apologized profusely and went out of their way to make it up to us. Breakfast was quite delicious. They seemed genuinely upset that our experience had not been better. P.s. Unlike BGHL3, we did not see any roaches.

Overall, the dining room and sitting room are absolutely beautiful and well-taken care of, but the bedroom units themselves could use some renovation. All in all though, if we are ever able to return to Dauphin Island I WOULD STAY WITH THEM AGAIN. You don't find such incredibly genuine people around much anymore!!! Also, the location is perfect, and although the price may seem steep considering the character of the rooms, it is a deal compared to the options/prices elsewhere on this island.

By the way, they are hoping to retire soon, so you could contact them if you are interested in running a Bed & Breakfast :)

Room Tip: The room with the balcony and a view is the best, in my opinion.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Allie G

Been to Dauphin Island Harbor House? Share your experiences!