Algotels
philtcl76
Singapore, Singapore
Nice and Good location
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 6 Dec 2012
This hotel is in an excellent & convenient location, just few steps away from Jonker Street. We received a suprise upgrade from our original superior room to their deluxe room. Room size is decent and well furnished, there is a small outdoor courtyard beside the shower area. the bed and pillow are comfortable. Staff is helpful and cheerful throughout our stay. Breakfast is a mix spread of local and western choices. Its an excellent weekend in Melaka, away from the hectic life of the big city.
Date of stay: November 2012Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    S$91
10.4 km from Courtyard @ Heeren Boutique Hotel
View more hotels in Melaka
1,267 results
All reviews jonker street weekend night market shophouse heritage toilet singapore
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I previously rated this property a 3, kindly refer to my previous review below for reference.

Then I got a phone call from the manager, who at first told me he wanted to clarify the smoking policy. I told him I was confused because he tells me now it's a nonsmoking hotel, while his staff told me there were smoking common areas, and which I am suggesting to convert to non-smoking areas (just a suggestion!). Then I told him that is not a non-smoking hotel as he claims because there were ashtrays outside my room. His reasoning is, even if it's a nonsmoking hotel, they need to put ash trays so that people will not throw cigarette butts everywhere or smoke in their room. I found that logic twisted. He failed to realize that I am not challenging his policy, but the way he is implementing it. His hotel is not a non-smoking hotel. The rooms are non-smoking, but common areas are smoking areas. But he confused me and I told him I give up explaining the difference.

Then I realized the reason why he's taking it too personally is because of my previous rating. He started yelling at me why I gave a long list of criticisms and that I should cancel my reservation in June 2013. I told him if he understood English, I put some good and some bad, and all are not opinions but based on fact, as indicated below. I praised important aspects of his hotel. He continued yelling and when I told him I dont want to talk to him anymore as I do not want to be disrespected, I hang up the phone, only for him to call back again.

He ruined my lunch time and what was a relatively good stay with a few kinks turned out to be one of the worst "service recovery attempts" in my travels to more than 70 countries in 6 continents. It's actually quite amusing.

I still maintain that it's one of the best in Malacca (notice the qualifier, in Malacca.), and that as long as you don't make the manager angry, you'll be fine. Just be ready if you're a non-smoker and happen to be unfortunate enough to have customers smoking outside your room, then be prepared for a polluted experience. In fairness, the staff did ask the customers to stop smoking, but the damage has been done.

My previous review below. I leave it to the reader to judge for himself.
Let me put things in context. If I paid less than RM 150 per night I would have given this 5 stars hands down. But given that I paid RM320, here's my 3 star review:

The Good:
-room is beautiful. I stayed in G3 and it was as gorgeous as the pictures
-staff are kind, respectful, with a can do attitude. This is uncommon in Malaysia so they deserve a special mention on this.

The Bad and not-so-great:
- noise both from upstairs and outside. I was previously warned about noise upstairs when I booked. This I appreciated a lot and I was ready for this when I arrived. However, I wasn't told that loud Malaysian tourists loiter on the area outside my room. (They don't have rooms themselves?!?!?). Furthermore they had a loud waterfall outside my room. I'm not talking about a relaxing spa-like trickling of water. It's loud. I had to request twice to have it off.

-Smoking policy: what made matters worse, one even smoked outside my room. The smoke permeated my room and I had to stay away from my room for an hour in the morning which was supposed to be precious relax time and why I splurged on the room in the first place. So I spent an hour on the common area reading while ensuing loud Chinese guests as they walk by. Pleasant. They should have known that the hotel is a small cramped space and to aggravate the situation the doors are not fully sealed due to the old nature of the house. Hence it should have been a nonsmoking hotel unless they can find an isolated place for those smokers to go smoke themselves to death.

-breakfast quality. Overall it was good but the tofu in the noodles were sour and spoiled. When I told the waiter, he didn't take the noodles away. I spoke to the reception staff about it but unsure what's done after.

- Mozzies. Their breakfast area had a still water pond, a notorious breeding ground for mosquitoes. They should have made an effort to put Citronella under tables. I got bitten and had to ask for Mozzies spray 30 minutes after.

Overall an average experience based on cancelling out of superlatives. Absolutely gorgeous room and hotel, fantastic attitude of staff but lacks attention to detail.

I booked another trip to next year. Hopefully it will be better by then. It was way below my expectations given the price I paid.

Room tip: upstairs, far from the front area, and smoking area
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank daphnedexplorer
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My husband and I stayed at Courtyard @ Heeren for 4 nights recently. It offered everything we wanted: great location, walking distance to all main attraction places; great value, with healthy breakfast included; wonderful staff members who are forever ready to help and so down to earth; and not to mention the beautifully converted traditional Baba & Nyonya house...it takes you to another era, best for those who have deep appreciation for Malacca's unique culture.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cristosc
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Just stayed there 2 nights in deluxe room G6 on the ground floor. As many reviews here have mentioned, the place is really trendy with loads of charm and character. (however, the room I got with its gaudy flowery wallpaper and old floor tiles wasn't really to my taste). The queen-size bed was rather small for the size of the room but it was comfortable enough. The rain shower had good water pressure and constant hot water. The breakfast space was lovely and the buffet provided was adequate. The young staff were well trained, friendly and helpful. My car was OK, parked in the uncovered reserved space on the back lane.

The above made the stay quite pleasant and satisfactory. However, there are some cautionary comments here:-

* When we first entered the room, the air was musty. It was OK after having the air-cond. on for a little while.

* There wasn't much natural light and ventilation in the room; the little and narrow courtyard by the bathroom couldn't receive much light from the glazed roof high above. A room on the upper floor would probably have been brighter/better.

* Due to the many nooks and crannies, there was a little dust and dirt in the room. Don't expect it to be spotlessly clean.

* The electrical wiring running behind the wash-hand basin to the fridge was shoddily installed and rather dangerous.

* The open wardrobe concept is nice but 4 clothes-hangers were just not adequate.

* There was a fair-sized centipede on the shower cubicle wall one morning. Luckily, I saw it before it could do any harm.

Room tip: Get a room on the upper floor for more natural light and ventilation, and possibly less noise too!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Malaysiantraveller68
Reviewed 24 November 2012

A local friend recommended this place, location is excellent, just minutes away from what melaka could offer. We were greeted by friendly staff throughout our stay. Room is nice, comfortable bed. For their breakfast buffet, you dont get many slection like those big chain hotels, but its sufficient considering the size of the hotel.

There is a nice little cafe beside the hotel, very artistic little place. Great place to have a tea and relax

Date of stay: September 2012
1  Thank Ekattzen
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I was in Melaka for just 2 days as a break from Singapore. Melaka is only a 3 hour drive from Singapore and is worth a visit. We stayed at the Courtyard and were very happy. It's a bit more expensive than some of the others but this one has a lovely feel to the place, there are a lot of newer soulless hotels in Melaka. The staff are lovely, the rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. I would definitely stay again!
When you are in Melaka make sure you walk the full length of the river on the board walk first thing in the morning. Walk up river on the left then cross over and come down river, great photo opportunities! It only about an hour walk but allow an hour and half for stopping. The river cruise at night is also worth doing.

Trip type: Travelled with friends