“Great Location, newly renovated room with sea view”

Hotel Equatorial Melaka
Ranked #14 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I have stayed in this hotel with my partner for one night and we were very satisfied with the location, room size and facilities. The hotel is walking distance to the historical sites and there is a big mall next to the hotel. The check-in time was 2pm but we have arrived at 1pm and they allow us to check-in. We were given a newly renovated room with seaview. The room was roomy and modern. However, there is a paint stench in the room due to renovation. Another downside is that the TV reception for most of the channels are not good. All I can see are snowflakes on the TV. I have patronized the Peranakan restaurant in the hotel and the decorations, furnitures in the restaurant is very Peranakan and we liked the design very much. The size of the dishes in the menu are either medium or large size and the waitress said that since there are only the both of us, they will customize the dishes which cater for 2 person. That's thoughtful of them. This is my first time been to Malacca and I will stay in this hotel again if I ever visit Malacca again.

Recommendation: Jonker Walk, Chicken rice ball and Peranakan food.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sincerereview

Reviewed 18 May 2011

I booked this as part of my F&E tour package, and it turned out to be much better than I thought. The location is ideal compared to other hotels. We were on the deluxe room at the 12th floor and the view was spectacular, especially at sunset. I'm not sure if my room has been renovated (probably not yet), but it was spacious, with comfortable beds and more importantly clean. Unlike the previous reviews, I was notified of the renovation going on a few floors below from 9 - 5pm but we weren't affected. We were in the room some time during the period but did not hear anything (quite fortunately). Breakfast provided had a good variety and service was very friendly. The only downside is there isn't any free Wi-fi provided, but for compensation, they have cable TV :) It's also within walking distance to A'Famosa and other attractions and a short walk away to Jonker Street for good food - remember to try the Chendol and Nyonya pineapple tarts. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PoppyPotatoe
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We were surprised to find that the first few floors had retained an original old building. The hotel is undergoing some upgrading and we were disrupted due to this during the day, with alarms going off, lack of cold water and noise.

We had a club room which was on the corner of the building and had windows on both sides and two balconies. The room was spacious and pleasant.

The service was good and the club lounge served very good food.

Breakfast was very good with plenty of choices and the dessert selection better than most hotels.

The location was very good being right next to a large mall and near the historical sites.

The price for room service and the mini bar was reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PegususPerth
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Stayed for a night here. The minute we got into the room, the racket of the renovation went on and on. We checked in with the intention of a restful day. However, with the noise, my toddler was unable to rest. Albeit the location is great, paying for a room to hear a man hammering away on your wall is not something I would call restful.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Ekmy
Reviewed 14 May 2011

I thought the Equatorial was a good base for a stay in Malacca. It was within walking distance of everything. We had a premier room which had a sea view and a day bed replacing what used to be a balcony. These rooms have recently been refurbished and were very tasteful. The staff were great as were all the people in the service industry that we met in Malaysia.
The pool area was lovely but the number of beds and sitting places seemed insufficient for a hotel of this size.
I thought that the breakfast in this hotel was the best of all the four hotels that we stayed in during our three week tour. I loved the chicken curry and the nasi lemak for breakfast and the array of fresh fruits.
There are a number of eating establishments within the hotel to suit all tastes and budgets. I must admit though that the Geographers cafe in Jonkers Street was my favourite place to eat and drink. Well placed for shopping and sightseeing I would stay here again if I returned to Malcca.
A previous revieiwer has mentioned the traffic and difficulty crossing some of the roads. This was a problem in KL as well. Not enough traffic lights, drivers don't stop at crossing places and pavements are very high in places. Everyone in Malaysia must have a car as traffic is constant.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple