“don't forget to bring your own toothbrush and toothpaste!”

Hotel Equatorial Melaka
Ranked #15 of 169 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 9 June 2012

"a 5-star international business class hotel" (quote from website) - but they don't provide toothbrush and toothpaste!

I had to highlight the toothpaste/brush because I'm so baffled that they are a 5-star int'l business class hotel but they don't provide basic bathroom amenities.

Anyway, we went to Malacca for a company trip. We stayed at Hotel Equatorial for 2 nights and 3 days. I would say it's a value for money. The hotel is generally okay, It's a bit old but good thing the location and service is excellent.

The good:

- The location is quite convenient. There are 2 nearby malls, it's quite near to Red House (the red painted church apparently that's what locals call it), Jonker Street is near as well. Choices for restaurants/eating places are aplenty. Almost everything is walking distance. I didn't really see any cabs/buses going around. There are trishaws if you're lazy to walk.
- The hotel itself is okay. I would say great because it seems like some of the areas of the hotel is a bit run down and the furnishing are just plain. I guess its an old hotel. But it's generally okay it doesn't have that wow factor.
- The room is clean not too small not too big. The bed is quite comfortable no complains.
- Excellent service. The hotel staff are friendly and warm. We had some problem with the stopped in the bathroom sink and we asked help from the reception. They came to our aid promptly.
- The breakfast buffet was surprisingly not bad. Choices are okay and the food itself is good i'd give it 4 out of 5.
- The hotel pool is quite big and clean. There was a sauna and jacuzzi as well. All are okay. They have a tennis court too.

The bad:
- They do not provide toothbrush/paste so don't forget to bring your own!
- The shower head was not really that stable it was a bit loose and there's something with the flush. Like if you use it once, they it'll take some time for the water to be refilled? So the next one who's gonna flush will get a weak water flow? (I hope you guys got what I mean) They have to maintain their bathroom better to make sure everything is working well.

The ugly: None thank god. :D

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Decent hotel in Melaka. Location wise its pretty convenient with the malls by the side.
Rooms are ok. You pay for what you get. i was there for a meeting for 3 nights. F&B was good. Service was pleasant. Hotel is getting old so you have to be ready for it! But overall, decent.

1  Thank leong34
Reviewed 7 June 2012

15 minutes away from Central Bus Station, the is considered to be quite a great location in compare with those i have been to that normally are 1 hour away from the arrival spot. Service is rather decent with a free snacks session at the interenational business corner from 5pm. We were staying at Deluxe city view suite which was quite spacious with 1 big living room and 1 bedroom. Classic design yet very clean and classy, welcome treat is a bowl of fruits and cookies which i enjoyed much. The only minus is the breakfast is quite Asian to me though it is claimed as Internationl one. Accross the street from the hotel are big malls (not really remember the name) where you can easily find local or internation mid-tier brands like Esprit, Mango, Nike....From the hotel you can also walk to the National Museum or Fort A area with beautiful hilltop churches, 20 mins away by walk to famous Jonker street.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends who love to come to workd-heritaged Melaka town.

Room Tip: Non-smoking Deluxe Suites are pretty awsome!! Quiet and the view to the city is great.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trang P
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I would like to commend the staff for providing consistently better levels of service and thank the management and shareholders of the hotel for the constant upgrading of facilities. I was having breakfast and was just looking at the stewarding station for some coffee and the captain (a lady I wish I remembered) immediately approached me and asked if I needed something. The staff's attention to detail is excellent. I have almost always stayed at the equatorial club rooms and everytime I visit, I am always reminded why I always choose to stay at this hotel and the club rooms. I wish to specially mention your front desk staff at the club floor, Mary for her really friendly and helpful service. Always serving with a smile, I am really impressed with her thoughtfulness and her patience with my young children. I would be happy if you wish for me to write to any hotel review or testify of the wonderful service and facilities you have at your hotel. Thank you and please keep up with the excellent work. I have a little bit of insight into hotel management and I know it takes a lot of work and staff training to provide the levels of service they do so I just want to write to let you know that all their hard work is really bearing fruit. I have stayed with this hotel more than 70 occasions through the years and I will continue to come back and support the hard and fruitful work.

Room Tip: Stay in the Equatorial Meleka club rooms. Really excellent facilities and service
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel from 2-3rd Jun 2012 to attend a wedding dinner nearby.

Pillows and bed are good, rooms are cleaned, all toiletries are well provided except that no toothbrush and toothpaste provided for the guests as a 4 star hotel.

As for the save box, no instructions for us on how to operate it. In the end, we had to bring along our precious items along with us wherever we go.

On our day of arrival, there were some lift problem, we stayed on the 15th floor, and waited for at least 10 -15 mins for the lift to bring us to the lobby from the 15th floor, the 4 lifts simply just skipped our floor for no reasons, in the end we had to take a lift ride up in order for us to reach the lobby.

Will stay at this hotel again if were to visit Melaka next time.