“Four nights at Hotel Puri”
Review of Hotel Puri

Hotel Puri
Ranked #11 of 169 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We chose the Puri as we wanted to stay in a heritage hotel in a central location - and we were not disappointed. It is a very attractive building, inside and out, and full of interesting Peranakan furniture. Since the extension, it has even more gardens and courtyards to enjoy.

Our Deluxe Room, on the top floor, was very quiet but a bit smaller than the website pictures, but had all the facilities as described and was comfortable and spotlessly clean, as was the rest of the hotel.

Breakfast was taken in one of the courtyards, a delightful setting. The buffet was not very exciting but the dishes were kept topped up and there was certainly plenty of food available.

The staff were all very pleasant, helpful and friendly, and everything was attended to without delay.

All in all, very good value for money, and yes, we would stay there again.

2  Thank aandlkch
Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I am now lying on my bed in my room at Hotel Puri Melaka. It is in a restored 1822 home of rich Chinese businessman and philanthropist and is chock a block full of antiques and paintings and gardens and fountains and courtyards and marble and tiled reception and public areas. We are on the third floor in the more modern wing of the hotel, but the first floor public areas are like living in a museum and a spa and a botanical garden all rolled into one. The hotel is located right in the heart of this Unesco World Heritage City on one of the oldest streets in the settlement. At one time it was called Millionaire’s row and most of the old mansions are still standing and are being restored. There are restaurants, clubs, a night market, an area of shops that are reportedly an antique hunter’s dream come true, Chinese and Indian Temples, mosques, old forts, old churches, and old municipal buildings.

Our room is nice and clean, the bed is large and comfortable, the bathroom is clean and everything works. We even have a room safe and a minifridge and a kettle. Just like uptown! Breakfast is included.

I love this hotel. I love all the gorgeous interior courtyards and gardens, I love the swallows that have built nests in one of the museum rooms, I love all the old wooden shutters and the mosaic tiled floors. If you get a chance, check out the pictures. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the included breakfast was a very large buffet with lots of fresh fruit and yogurt (my favorite) and for those who wished, an omelet station, real coffee with real milk, fruit juices, a number of sweets and pastries, and a nice variety of western and local main dishes. Even better was the location in one of the beautiful courtyards. Each day we had a wonderful and relaxing breakfast.

4  Thank MissKimBliss
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I left my macbook pro charger in their room on 16th May, they called me up and offer me to mail my lost item back to my house in Kuala Lumpur.
Now THAT is service.

6  Thank jasonsheng
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is a stunning old shop house which has been beautifully restored with lots of love...The taxi driver told us only white people stay here??/ so what maybe us white people have good taste!!! this hotel is exceptional...from the amazing brekky to the little swallows in the history room.We were told that the swallows return because of the harmony in the house and thats exactly how we felt too....in total harmony with the house...it is just lovely.
What a perfect place to stay in such a perfectly beautiful city as Melaka.
We expect to only stay here in the future if we are ever lucky enough to stay in Melaka again.
Is perfect in every way!!!!
We thought of upgrading after reading the reviews but our superior room was perfectly adequate and also extremely moderately priced....loved everything about it!!!

3  Thank love2cookandtravel
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The hotel is charming, although the front looks small, it goes back quite a way, with serveral garden courtyard areas. The ground floor has charm. The rooms are simple and plain and not decorated in the peranakan style. There was an empty fridge (a couple of bottles of water only) that we could put our fruit and own drinks into. Bathroom, basic but clean and looked reasonably new.
It's in a fantastic location as others have said. Breakfast was basic but enough, cereal, and an egg station. The were some noodles, sausages, fruit, and a few other things. There was freshly made Teh Tarik which made my day!
I would recommend this place as a clean, affordable and well positioned hotel. I was on a "girls trip" however if I had brought my husband I may choose somewhere else where the rooms have more atmosphere and decoration.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends