“Our stay at the Malaga Inn”
Review of Malaga Inn

Malaga Inn
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We arrived at the Malaga Inn after we had to leave Florida because of Hurricane Irma and stayed vor 3 days. It was not a planned holiday trip and we were glad to get a room. The reception lady was very nice and helpful and assured us by phone that we can also check in after 12 o'clock a.m. We should drive carefully and arrive safely, everything else would not be a problem and we should not worry, she said. Despite the unfortunate circumstances it was very nice days in this historical hotel and the staff was very helpful and very friendly. We enjoyed this time very much and will come back next year. The hotel is definitely recommendable.
Angelika & Guido

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
malagainn359, Owner at Malaga Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Guido, Thank you so much for writing a review for us. It was really a pleasure getting to know you and your family. I hope y'all are able to return to the states sometime.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 September 2017

This was a gorgeous historic hotel. The staff was absolutely wonderful. Clean rooms over look a picturesque courtyard. Was a relaxing place to have my morning coffee. I will return to this southern inn.

Room Tip: Front Private Balcony Rooms are the Best
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2017

Checked in late night July 29th. Called in advance, was advised there was one room available. Aside from the room being hot because it took the air conditioner 4 hours to cool it down, and the 2nd Shift manager's car being broken into in the parking lot with her items strewn on the ground, all else "seemed" fine. The staff was nice and the property was gorgeous. The next morning we observed the nastiest shower we've ever seen. In addition to mold and scum there was a thick sticky clear slime which appeared to somehow be associated with the mold. It truly looked alive. In the room near the foot of one of the beds, our baby spilled a small amount of water on the floor and when we wiped it up with a clean cloth it left a nasty residue on the rag. I still wonder how long it had been since that room was "actually" cleaned. The bedding appeared fine and clean, no bed bugs, room nicely decorated, etc. Brought issues to the attention of "Donna" working at the front desk the next morning. She seemed truly alarmed and genuinely empathetic. She called a couple housekeepers over to the desk and advised them of my reported issues and told them to give the room extra attention. I sought compensation on the room rate from Donna considering my family and I weren't able to sleep comfortably due to the temperature nor were we able to bath our toddler due to the conditions. She said "Absolutely... what do you think is fair?" My response was 50% discount on room rate. She paused, I asked "Do you think that's fair?" She responded "Yes, I just don't know what the owner will think about it". Either way, Donna said she initiated the 50% credit to the account, provided me an email address to email the pictures to so the owner could see them. Well, that was 1.5 months ago and my card was charged full amount with no subsequent credit. Before disputing charge with my credit card company I decided to call for Donna or the owner last week, neither was available however the person answering the phone seemed helpful and empathetic. She promised to have Donna or the owner call me back within 72 hours or else she would call me back personally. I've not heard back from a soul nor did I ever receive a response to the detailed email I sent to what should have been an email address the owner would have seen. So here it goes. I usually don't leave bad reviews because I know mistakes happen, so any of my unsatisfactory hotel stays usually go with no review at all. This has been an exceptionally poor experience therefore not only would I never stay here again I wouldn't recommend anyone stay here less you risk the sanitary issues we faced and/or poor follow through and customer service by management. To all others who appear to have had wonderful stays at Malaga Inn, congratulations... I wish my family had been so fortunate. By the way, Malaga Inn Owner, when you see a chargeback come through for 50% of a room rate from July 29th 2017... that would be me.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room first and be sure to check the restroom and shower area.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hi LibraZebra,
I am a libra too. How about that? I am very sorry for the miscommunication but I never received anything regarding your stay. I am sorry you did not get your refund. We usually authorize a full refund if a guest has this level of dissatisfaction. I wish we could have worked something out.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 September 2017

We wanted to spend a few days in Mobile before setting out on the Carnival Fantasy. We were not disappointed. We stayed two nights at Malaga. And the people working this hotel are super nice and helpful. We had a standard room with queen beds. It was very nice so I'm sure the upgrade rooms would be spectacular. We spent a lot of time in the courtyard. Very romantic at night. Met some great people that were getting on the cruise as well. We walked just a couple of blocks to an artsy district. Lots of good places to eat and watched a movie at the Crescent. A must-do!

Each morning we took advantage of their continental breakfast. They included scrambled eggs, sausage, and lots of other items as well as the usual continental fare. We weren't expecting this.

We didn't take advantage of their Stay, Park, and Cruise deal, but probably will if we do this again.

If you love staying in a hotel that is outside the norm, beautiful, and reasonably priced, I strongly suggest staying at Malaga.

Room Tip: Quaint. Not a cookie cutter hotel chain. Downtown Mobile is very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Glnin T,
Thank you for your review. Staying at the Malaga and seeing a movie at the Crescent Theatre only to go on Carnival Cruise is the Mobile experience. I hope you are able to return to our charming town.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

This stay inspired our first review ever.

We stayed one night here during our road-trip. The inn is absolutely amazing and beautiful in it's own way.
The staff is sweet and helpful.

If we are ever in the area again this is where we will be staying.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple