“CONSTRUCTION!!!!!!”

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed 10 December 2017

my room facing Royal St. had its windows boarded up the entire time with plywood, which is depressing. construction starts at 8am with very loud hammering and drilling. not to mention loud construction workers inches away laughing and talking.

it's an old hotel that needs structural work - I get it. but this was unbearable. I'd rather have stayed in a courtyard marriott than under these conditions. I'm not sure exactly why the hotel thinks it's acceptable to rent these rooms out without a warning.

and not that I'm better than the average customer, but I'm Marriott platinum...

that said, the hotel itself is lovely. the lobby is stunning (especially dressed up for christmas). the gym is fantastic and the pool looks awesome (although it's too cold to visit!). the staff are all extremely nice.

the rooms are just OKAY. they need some sprucing up...the couch in my room drooped, the bathroom had some nicks and scuffs, and the carpet was stained. overall very disappointing.

the other annoying thing about this hotel is the valet situation. every morning/evening it's so busy and there's nowhere to place the cars but in the middle of the road. so there's a traffic jam in front of the hotel during those times.

I want to like this hotel - the lobby is great, the gym and pool are nice, and the location of the hotel cannot be beat.

but the rooms are tired, the construction makes a relaxing stay impossible, and the valet situation is never going away (and I"m not sure you can even self park if you wanted to).

I think I'll go back to the Riverside Renaissance....

Room Tip: ask for the tower during construction..do not stay in the historic wing
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank tripper24nyc
SarahSavell, Front Office Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Dear tripper24nyc,

Thank you so much for your feedback concerning your recent stay. I am happy to hear that there were aspects of you stay that you really enjoyed. I deeply apologize for the noise disturbance during you stay, though. We are constantly striving to preserve the beauty of our hotel and I hate that this effort impacted your stay in a negative manner. We would love for you to come back again and stay with us so that we can show you what a true experience at the Battle House is really like. Should you desire to stay with us in the future, please reach out to me at the hotel directly and I will be more than happy to ensure you have an impeccable stay. I wish you all the best and a very happy holiday season.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

I'd normally drive home after a day of meetings in Mobile, but I decided to spend the night at the Battle House. It was a nice treat. Beautiful classic hotel that was like going back in time. If you can stay here, do it. If you are just in the area, stop by and just look around.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2017

We booked this hotel because they offered cruise parking and shuttle service. We were greeted curb side by great valet service. When we walked into the lobby of this grand hotel it was like stepping back in time. The most beautiful architecture and decor drew us in and completely wrapped around us. The archways and, because of Christmas, the decorations were breath taking. We were greeted at the front desk by extremely competent staff and given the key to our room. And then there was another WOW! Beautiful beyond description. It was an absolutely wonderful stay and exciting to walk in the steps of so many people from centuries past. The hotel was the headquarters for Andrew Jackson during the War of 1812. How is that for history! We will be back!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2017

This was a Fabulous Hotel from Years gone by. We stopped in for coffee and dessert. The hotel does not mind if tourist come in to look and take pictures of the lobby. We were dressed nicely because we were going to the resturant at lunch. It was like stepping back in time to a day of decadence and sheer elegance!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2017

The hotel is beautiful, valet service fantastic, friendly and helpful. Same for housekeeping staff, they let us in our rooms a lot as the key system at the hotel is awful. Beyond that my stay was a mess. The front desk is terrible. They gave away rooms, were late checking guests in, told a large number of people in our party the wrong pickup spot for the buses twice, overcharged us at checkout and were "unaccommodating, hostile and rude" were the complaints from our guests. We planned an out of town wedding in Mobile and the only thing I was not satisfied with was this hotel. Everyone else involved involved in this wedding did their jobs in a professional and friendly manner. Very disappointed in Marriott!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a beautiful water view
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank lsternberger0413
SarahSavell, Front Office Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2017

Dear lsternberger0413,

Please accept our deepest apologies for your experience. We pride ourselves on providing the best stay possible for all of our guests and have unfortunately fallen short during your event. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me over the phone last week. I am so sorry to hear that our conversation, and the corrective actions taken, did not make up in part for the challenges with your stay. I would be more than happy to continue our discussion. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly at your convenience.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.