Econo Lodge(Oxford)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$76
ComfortInn
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$86/night.

US$70
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I enjoyed the Cedars Plantation. We used a groupon. We stayed in the master bedroom. It was very clean and comfortable. It was also very quiet and private. The hostess was friendly and helpful. She provided a delicious breakfast for us in the morning. The only disappointment we had was that it rained and we were unable to enjoy the tennis courts or the swimming pool. The walk in the rain was lots of fun though! We would definitely visit the Cedars Plantation again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise C
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We arrived around 4pm (check-in is listed as 3pm) and it wasn't clear where to enter. We rang a bell and waited. After a few minutes, the "hostess" greeted us, wearing sweats and a tank top with no bra. She told us she was still getting our room ready and ushered us into a dark, cold living room and was going on about how they had just moved in themselves.

The kitchen was messy and the original (built in 1833) part of the house was almost completely unfurnished. We had some coffee in the sunroom while she finished cleaning upstairs, and to be honest, I wanted to leave right then and there. The website reports each room has a private bath but the bathroom is in the hallway outside the actual bedroom so it's not very private.

The bedroom itself was clean but very sparsly furnished, without even a trash bin. I tossed and turned all night and did not sleep well. The "private bath" featured a small sink and shower-only enclosure that was hardly big enough to fit one person. There were strands of hair stuck to the inside of the shower to top it off. The insides of the cabinets were all dusty and dark.

The next morning we went downstairs for breakfast and found dirty dishes on the table and the hostess talking on the phone. We met the husband, who was presentable and friendly and served us coffee. He made pancakes and heated up some slices of ham. The hostess never got off the phone the whole time we sat and ate.

We left for the day and spent a nice day hiking in Cheaha State Park. While out we decided to get the hell out of there sooner rather than later. We got back and found the front door locked so we went around the back and got our stuff and left.

I'm contacting Groupon to complain about our experience and warn the other 125 poor souls who bought this groupon. I would not go back if someone paid me to. It was so uncomfortable; it felt like we were intruding in someones home who didn't know how to make someone feel welcome. I would not be surprised if they have never been to a B&B themselves. If this were my first B&B experience I would never try another.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lillie2003
CindyatCedars, Owner at The Cedars Plantation Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

First I offer my apologies for your negative experience at The Cedars. I wish I had known of your dissatisfaction so as to be able to make any corrections immediately.

As a business owner sometimes our schedules get out of order so quickly by untimely events, but then again, that problem is one that comes with life in general. I appreciate your comments as to our business and will be very diligent in making the necessary corrections and changes to my procedures and policies.

I admit we were puzzled by your hasty departure. But after finding the note you left in your room, I planned to contact you to see if you would like to return for another stay. I see now that is not an option you would desire. I just wish we could have discussed this in person. It is always in the best interest for you as a consumer and the business owner, to discuss any issues you have immediately rather than finding out later in such a public manner.

Regardless, I will make sure you receive a full refund. I do not wish for any customer to be unhappy.

Cindy Horton
The Cedars Plantation

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Cedars Plantation while passing through Alabama. We are so glad we did! Cindy and Greg (the new owners as of September 2011) were very welcoming and sweet. We enjoyed our room which was clean and cozy on the second floor. It was nice to be "unplugged" - no TV or other distractions - and enjoy the quiet night. Greg made us a fire outside on the veranda and Cindy brought out s'mores ingredients. We enjoyed the fire under the uninterrupted night sky. It was a beautiful atmosphere and very romantic.

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful - family style, true Southern cooking in the large kitchen. We felt like we were at home and we enjoyed the conversation with our hosts and fellow guests. It was a great way to experience Alabama for the first time! We took a drive to nearby Cheeha mountain which was also beautiful. Be sure to check out Big Daddy's BBQ down the street during your visit!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple