Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed 26 June 2017

I have stayed here four times for work and have never had a good time there. My most recent visit was no exception. At check in I was told I could choose either a handicap room or one of the outside rooms on the left of the complex. They were the only room left. I chose the outside and the clerk said at least I could park at my front door. Wrong. The only parking place left was a partially used space with a fence about two feet into it for the construction zone that took up part of the lot. I had to pull in my mirror and back my truck to be against the fence and even then it was barely enough room to open my door. I did not want anyone to damage my new truck so I parked in the grass for several days. When I talked to a co-worker who checked in 30 minutes after me he got a normal room in the complex and did not have to take a handicap room. The place is a ghost town, the restaurants are mostly closed and they push you to use the outside pool bar to eat at. Unless you are a golfing nut stay away.

Room Tip: Do not get the "outside" rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Kevin C, General Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2017

Thank you for your selecting the Marriott while recently in the area.

We appreciate your comments regarding this most recent visit and apologize for the perceived challenges while our guest. We understand there is always room for improvement in everything we do and thank you for bringing these concersn to our attention.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

We visited the Marriott Opelika in mid-June, a few weeks before a major golf tournament. Although there were a couple conferences going on at the time, the hotel did not feel crowded. It is a very expansive property with a number of very fun amenities including a water slide in their pool, a swim-up bar, golf, tennis, kids' activities, and a billiards and poker room (very cool addition). This is a great place for both adults and kids (albeit I went down the water slide a couple time as I'm a kid at heart.)

The staff was generally friendly and the shuttle driver from Wisconsin was fantastic with advice about where to go in town. Not many people know about the free shuttle to Auburn/Opelika, but you should use that as a great resource. Service was fast and very friendly (and the driver knows the speed traps).

Food service is pretty standard Marriott. A nice poolside bar with some local liquors stocked and microbrews on tap. The hotel bar is a bit quiet and the breakfast buffet is what you would expect (although they do have grits).

The night staff was a little slow cleaning up a shattered CFL light bulb we had and we discovered that they needed to restock their first aid kit.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty good with a variety of views. Well-designed layout.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent visit to the Auburn/Opelika Marriott.

We are pleased you enjoyed the many amenities, water slide, pool bar, golf, and billiards room. I am also pleased that the shuttle service into Auburn/Opelika provided an elevated experience while our guest. Thank you on behalf of the team and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Comfortable clean resort with two very nice golf courses, the Lake and the Links plus a nice 18 hole par 3 short course. Hotel has fewer amenities than other on the Trail but a new wing is under construction to help improve offerings. A good stop on the RTJ Trail. Provides southern hospitality.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your recent stop on The Robert Trent Jones Golf trail.

We are pleased to learn you enjoyed the visit and our southern hospitality. Thank you on behalf of the Grand National team and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I stayed here for a wedding party that had rooms blocked off. At first I was a little disgruntled because it was so far outside of Auburn, however, I have to say, it's an amazing hotel property! Beautiful grounds and although it was cool in March they had a huge pool and golf complex - it would be a great place to take kids for some outdoors stuff! I would return if I need to go back to Auburn in a heartbeat! Shuttle was convenient and saved us money to get into Auburn and staff very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit with us in Auburn/Opelika.

We are very happy to learn you found this special wedding visit pleasurable and that the hotel provided all the activities necessary for a return visit. Thank you on behalf of the Grand National Team.

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

What the perfect little quick weekend trip. It was just what we needed to kick our heels up and relax a bit. The hotel was pleasantly surprising. The staff was extremely inviting and accommodating from the time we walked in. The room was clean and fairly comfortable. My favorite of course, was the outdoor pool area. It was nice and quaint, but just enough to make you feel like you were at a resort. Saturday night was lively with a live band, and many kid's activities. Overall, this was a great weekend choice.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Kevin C, General Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thank you for your recent visit to The Marriott at Grand National.

We are very happy that you found this Fathers Day weekend visit relaxing and that the amenities of the hotel delivered a great experience. Thank you for sharing your special weekend and we sincerely hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
8.1 km away
8.4 km away
Home2 Suites by Hilton Opelika Auburn
7.9 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Region: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Price Range: $168 - $392 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Marriott, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika