“Always a family favorite”

Mandarin House Chinese
Ranked #27 of 115 Restaurants in Opelika
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

This has been a family favorite for years. The buffet is what they are most known for and it is certainly better than your typical "panda" and other cheap Americanized Chinese fast food which always boasts lots of sugar and fried flour to hide mystery chicken or some other curious meat. Mandarin buffet has real quality chicken, spicy Mongolian beef, white steamed, fried rice, or spicy thai rice. There is always sushi on the buffet so you don't have to pay extra to have the best of both worlds. Usually a simple California roll and a local "Alabama" roll that has been coated and flash deep fried. The imperial shrimp is in a light sauce with large succulent shrimp, not popcorn shrimp. Like most buffets this one is best at peak times when lots of customers keep the food turnover high and it is fresh and hot. If coming at an off-peak time then try the menu as it is always made fresh! There is a good Thai Menu and a very authentic Korean menu that attracts the local Korean community consistently. This is no P.F. Changs but is for sure one of the areas best.

2  Thank faithtitan

Reviewed 13 March 2016 via mobile

Hands down, this is the best Chinese in the area in my opinion. It's so good! I usually go when I can get the lunch buffet. I don't believe they offer the buffet at dinner anymore, bummer. The food is always good and fresh. I never feel like I am eating food that has been sitting under a heating lamp for hours. The green beans, egg drop soup, and wontons are my go to items. I will only eat egg drop soup from this restaurant. I am extremely picky about my egg drop soup; it's it's really yellow in color and has a strong smell, I'm not interested. This restaurant has a really, really good egg drop soup. Always a favorite.

I'll definitely be back!

Reviewed 14 January 2016

When you go there it has a restraunt to the left with thai menu. This is where we eat. Love the soft shell scrab.

Reviewed 2 January 2016

We have been coming to Mandarin House for decades. We always have a lovely meal with perfect service. We never have the buffet so can not speak to that. We had the Kung Pao chicken and Moo shu pork today with plain steamed rice. We had the hot sour soup for two as a starter. There were huge tender shrimp in the soup. Perfectly spiced. George gave us impeccable service. Allen the owner is always congenial and runs a tip top business. You won't find a better place to eat Chinese than Mandarin House in Auburn AL.

Reviewed 26 October 2015

Wow, since the last time I visited this place has been redone! Much much cleaner, nicer decor, fresher appearance. Buffet selection is reduced from what it used to be but the quality of the food was much higher than my last visit!