Plantation Island Resort
Musket Cove Island Resort & Marina(Malolo Lailai Island)(Great Value!)
US$356
US$317
  • Beachfront
Lomani Island Resort(Malolo Lailai Island)
US$425
US$357
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Serenity Island Resort(Malolo Lailai Island)
US$201
Orbitz.com
Six Senses Fiji(Malolo Island)
US$1,001
US$956
  • Breakfast included
Tropica Island Resort(Malolo Island)
US$620
US$527
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Likuliku Lagoon Resort(Malolo Island)
US$1,083
US$980
  • Pool
Castaway Island Fiji(Castaway Island (Qalito))
US$489
US$458
Hotels.com
US$862
  • Breakfast included
Bounty Island Resort(Bounty Island)
US$171
US$237
1,810 results
All reviewsplantation islandgarden burekids clubmusket covefamily holidaycoral restaurantmeal planpoolside roomfishcash cardblack corallomani endcoco hutgreat familythree starfiji timebreakfast and dinner
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We returned recently from a trip to Fiji. As many people have said, I also was a bit wary after reading some of the negative reviews about Plantation Island Resort. We have stayed in a few different properties around Fiji and prefer the islands over the 'mainland' area around Denarau etc for a long holiday. This time we decided to book two different resorts - Plantation Island Resort and Castaway Island Resort.

We had a lovely time at Plantation Island, we had booked on a package which included kids meals and several other bonus'. We than paid a little extra and booked the Beachfront Hotel room instead of the Garden Hotel room in the package, this was great and we were actually very lucky that they are doing a lot of renovations and upgrading around the resort so we were actually put in a Beachfront Bure - yay! This was heaven after a delayed overnight fright from Melbourne and long wait at Denarau having missed the early boat. We would definitely book this type of Bure again especially with young kids as you can sit on your own bure's porch or hammock and watch the kids play - great while kids club is on lunch break.

The Bure was nice, basic but clean, clean linen and towels, A/C and plantation shutter s to let the lovely breeze through, a 'separate' bedroom for the kids divided by the robes and a door but the ceiling is open, a clean fridge for with tea and coffee facilities(but you have you have to buy your own milk the mini mart) . the bathroom was basic but functional and clean, though a bit musty after a while, needs better ventilation I guess. Not a sign of any bugs really but it is the tropics after all so there were mozzies.

The restaurant area and bar area is nice, as mentioned they are renovating so one bar area was closed and another not open during the evening as it is low season I think. We were not there to party all night and the evening entertainment was not always our taste but there was plenty of opportunity to juts relax and enjoy the surroundings.

The food was on-the-whole good but limited in variety. We took the breakfast/lunch meal plan and I found that was enough for me with a nice coffee from the 'cafe' mid-morning (hubby ordered lunch). the kids meals were basic but ok for holidays. Breakfast was basic but you can order freshly made fried eggs instead of scrambled if you want. The fruit was nice especially the pineapple and papaya. Lunch seemed to be mainly a la carte while we were there which was fine and we didn't have to wait too long for anything at all. Dinners were all mostly buffet and all nice, the noodle buffet was especially nice, the kids enjoyed the wok action! It's nice to have music at the meal times but my feeling is it could have been a bit quieter and 'in the background' especially during the main dinner service times. We went up to Lomani for dinner which was lovely and VERY quiet in comparison the food and service were lovely too, it was worth it for a bit of a change. We were only there for 4 nights but would have ventured up to Ananda's and Musket cove if we had more time.

Kids Club - Our kids liked the kids club and all the staff were lovely, there seemed to be a reasonable amount of activities listed on the board; however it appeared to be low season while we were there and therefore there weren’t that many kids especially younger kids so the kids club seemed to opt for movies even during the day (fair enough after dinner). Although the kids thought this was just perfectly fine, I think it could have been a bit more organised, though if the kids are happy we’re happy. It is also a big shame that the children’s playground looks so terribly run down, I am sure the resort is planning to upgrade that too but sooner rather than later would certainly be better for both guests/kids and staff. Our kids loved the pool with slide etc and the beach is lovely and clam so we often lazed about with the kids the afternoons and then only did kids club again after dinner.

Spa - hubby has a pretty bad back and has regular treatment but found the massage there was not what he was used too in Melbourne. I had a pedicure and file and polish for my fingernails which was ok but also not really as good as I would get at home. perhaps the Salon staff are not properly qualified? We were not there for spa treatments but I wouldn’t bother next time.

So overall it was a lovely break - nice island, lovely staff, lots to do, or just do nothing and we would think about returning without a hesitation for a lovely location and great relaxing no-frills tropical holiday.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank alybal
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Having been to the caribbean several times, Fiji was a really great change for us. I read everything I could find on Plantation before leaving, so I think we were all pleasantly surprised when we actually got there. I found myself wondering how people could trash the place so harshly.
We took the Malolo Cat early in the morning, and the ride was beautiful. Since we had just flown 6 hours from NYC, then 11 hours from LAX, I'm so glad we decided to end the long journey with a boat than a another flight. We arrived at the resort so early, so we were not welcomed with the band as I had hoped, but Johnnie was there with shell lei's and a huge smile. Check in was quick and easy. We were offered a two bedroom bure for a few hours until our rooms were ready. We, and our friend's had studio garden bure's, and my parents had a beachfront bure. When we realized the resort was less than half occupied due to low season, I asked upon getting to our room, if we could get something closer to my parents (217) With no hassle we, and our friends were moved to 241 and 242. These are studio garden bure's, but these two particularly are exactly on the beach, just like the beachfront ones, and steps to 217. Sure the rooms are basic, but very clean and surprisingly spacious.
We were celebrating a retirement, a 40th anniversary and a 1st anniversary, when we got to our rooms, we were welcome with fruit baskets, champagne and sarongs. A nice touch, I later found out was requested by our travel agent.
The beach was so beautiful and the water incredibly warm. Plenty of hammocks for everyone, but it really seemed like we were the only ones there, our own island most times. We just loved the privacy of this, having never been to a resort so quiet. I can't imagine being there when it's crowded, I quite enjoyed the serenity. The first week the tide was in early in the day and stayed in until late afternoon, which made for fabulous, long days of swimming. The last few days the tide was out during these hours, so we went to the pool. I'm not sure if it was weather related (as cyclone warning was in affect during low tide days) or just naturally the cycle, but for us our days spent in the ocean were our favorite. The kiddie pool was perfect for our toddler, however with the ocean being so calm, clear and warm, she loved it there. We noticed the tide at Musket Cove seemed to be out everyday all day, leaving guests to the pool or a good walk for an ocean swim. Loamani seemed to experience the same tide as the 200 side of Plantation, with the 300 side being somewhere in the middle. Definitely the 200 side is a better beach, hands down.
The food was okay, it certainly got boring quickly. but if you eat anywhere for 12 days in a row, I'm sure this would happen. We bought bread, meat and cheese for lunches, not needing a large meal mid day. We tried dinner at Annanda's, but were not impressed, yet another couple quite liked it. Musket Cove was great one night, as was Lomani. We all tended to order off the menus at Plantation over the buffet for the second week.
The cocktails were very good, but a bit pricey. We had brought in some duty free, and mixed our own drinks most of the time. They didn't seem to mind when we brought our own drinks to dinner, or champagne occasionally for breakfast mimosas.
The staff were all so friendly. They seemed to know our toddler immediately by name, and all came to say hi to her every time we came near the restaurant, or anywhere near any staff. They absolutely adore children, it is so obvious and so beautifully warm and kind. We never used the sitter service or the kids club, our daughter was too young and her grandparents being there, they wanted every second they could with her.
We did the dolphin safari, sadly there were no dolphins that day. Yet, another couple said the day prior they saw many, even babies swimming right up to the boat. So I guess you take your chances there, it was still a great boat ride and followed by good snorkeling. The trip to Shell Village was very nice, and a little heartbreaking at the same time. They are so poor, and I wish we had brought more things for them. We knew before heading to Fiji, we were planning to give away some clothes and toys, but we didn't bring enough to Shell Village. However, a lot of the staff live there, so we ultimately got things to them in the end. I suggest saving some items for the wood carving village, which is the second stop on this tour, because they seem to have even less than those at Shell Village. The free snorkeling was great, lots to see. However the snorkeling right off the beach is good too. We didn't do Sunflower Reef, only because we were told by others the free one is better. Line fishing was apparently fun, (I didn't go myself, others in our group did) but no one caught anything, except the guide. The Island Hop was great. We went towards the end our trip, so it was nice to get to other resorts by then, just to see something new, snorkel, do some light shopping. We had planned the sunset cruise early in the trip for our last night..sadly the weather was too rough to take it, I wish we had done it early instead. We went to church on Sunday, they take you up to the top of the island, beautiful views. The service was mostly in Fijian, the singing was beautiful. The basket weaving class was fun, easier than it looks.
The nightly entertainment was okay. The band really great, Mr.Plantation Island was hilarious, the Polynesian and Fijian nights were fantastic. The rest a little tired... but we were tired too after our long days in the sun, so turned in by 9 or 10 most nights anyways.
Would I return to Plantation? Absolutely, it was an incredible trip that we will never forget. Beautiful memories made in a beautiful place. Thank you Plantation Island Resort!

8  Thank searchingnirvana
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We have only just arrived home from our 4th fantastic holiday at Plantation over Christmas / new year and my husband and I are going back in March for 10 nights for my 50th birthday. We can't get enough of the place! If you want the best holiday of your life and enjoy having a good, fun time Plantation is the place for you. I don't know what is wrong with some of these people, they must go on holidays to whinge.
Imagine this....... dining barefoot with your feet in the sand 3 metres from the water whilst watching the most beautiful sunset in the world. Free snorkelling, free handline fishing, entertainment every night.
Sometimes, yes, shock horror I have had to wait for a beach towel but hey, if thats the worst thing that happens while I'm on holidays I'm laughing. You have to remember you are in Fiji and you are on an island, don't we go on holidays to find things different from home, isn't that what makes it a holiday.
Many of the staff are our friends and we look forward to seeing them greet us on the jetty when we arrive, if you say Bula when you see them and ask their name and introduce yourself you will be rewarded with that big fijian smile and friends for a lifetime.
If you read the negative reviews and believe them you will be sorry. We have taken many friends and family to plantation and everyone has had a fantastic time and wants to go back.
So if you want to see the REAL Fiji get yourself to Plantation, start practising your best Bula, relax and enjoy Fiji time!!

• Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank caljo
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Look, for us, Plantation Island was wonderful, everyone is different and their expectations are different.

We wanted a holiday to relax and enjoy time with the kids being a very busy family from Australia and that is what we got. The Staff were adorable, happy faces & greetings with big hugs and a lot of mutual emotions when we left. The Service Staff are sooooooo lovely, the bar were a little different, not as embracing, but we didnt have much to do with them. I work at a 5 Star Casino and I am big on Customer Service and I felt Plantation Island did all they could for us to make us feel welcome and enjoy our stay.

The Breakfast I too wasnt a big fan of', but I am hugely fussy (even at home), but my hubby & kids loved it. Only suggestions for meals are a little more variety for kids meals. Adult meals were EXCELLENT with lots of variety and theme night food like Mongolian & Indian food nights just awesome !!!!

Location is gorgeous, Bures great, weather was beautiful, very very relaxing place with plenty to do if you wanted to keep busy. We didnt use the pools but saw families having a great time in them. We are heading back next year- it has sealed a place in our hearts.
Thanking Elena, Matt, Thomas, Nancy, Milly, Maria, Mary, Joey, Jim, Fu & Richie for their wonderful hospitality towards us.

ps: My Father-in-law looked at our a portion of our photos (I took over 800) and asked if there were any other people on the island, because apart from meal times we were able to have our own private time in the water while others did the same not too far from us. We both work with people so that was the objective for US, having our piece of private Fiji without going to a secluded island. But for those who want to mingle there is plenty of opportunity to do that.

3  Thank rjisydean
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Bula, we [ me ,my husband our four children, my mum and stepdad as well as my 2 older brothers 10 of us in total] have just returned from spending 10 beautiful nights on plantation island resort.As i had booked this holiday for all of us and being our first holiday in a very long time ,i was very worried and concerned after reading some of the reviews on this sight. So i went in with an open mind and my fingers crossed not knowing what to expect.
We arrived on the island with a lovely warm greeting and then all shown to our bure's.We stayed in a studio garden bure which was very spacious , clean and comfortable and about 10ft from the picture perfect clear blue water . we were in paradise.We opted for the meal plan[ buffet style] and found that the food was nice as well we also tried the two other restaraunts on the resort which were really nice for a change .My children really enjoyed the meals.The swimming and snorkelling were fantastic as was the shell village tour our days consisted of swimming ,snorkelling, lazing around the beautiful sea or splashing around in one of the three pools or in one of the many beachside hammocks,and yacht trips .The yacht "take a break" trip we went on was a real highlight as we went to some beautiful snorkelling locations and also came across some dolphins playing nearby.The staff on the island were very warm and friendly and absouletly adored our children, we definetly have made some beautiful new friends and are already savind for a trip back next year. We are a down to earth family and you have to remember this is a 3 star resort and is a great place and have no hesitations of recomending this resort. A quick note to those who have given very bad reviews about this resort, these people work long and hard for little money and if you treat them with disrepect you will get the same in return ( relax , take it easy ,you are on holidays)
Vinarka PIR Hope to see you soon.

6  Thank 123marni