“Great location and breakfast”

Swissotel Grand Shanghai
Ranked #109 of 5,203 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

Fifth time here but still consistent service. Great location and hospitality. Just bout 5 mins walk to subway. Receptionist allowed early check in. Room is of average size but have a good view facing main shopping district. Overall good experience

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Dear Cynthia Y,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Swissôtel Grand Shanghai.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. The hotel is in an upscale and prime area of the city with metro Lines 2 and 7 nearby and shopping malls around for leisure pleasure. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to see you again soon.
Rena Fu/Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

Very disappointing visit just over one year after several good stays. Bathtub in the bathroom had a broken drain, meaning it wouldn't open. You'd think housekeeping would have noticed in those three days? Or I should probably add the bathtub wasn't clean in the first place either...
Breakfast seating service seemed to be mostly provided to locals, meaning that nobody would ever ask if I wanted coffee or tea with the buffet. Again a deterioration compared to before and the food served in the buffet appears to have been scaled back as well, including in quality.
It was impossible to get a taxi and little to no support was received from the staff on hand, who were mostly interested in fixing their hair on their smartphones. The concierge had advised to queue for a taxi rather than book a car. As a result ended up being late after lengthy queueing every day. Only after vocally complaining was any service provided to get some taxis to the hotel. I certainly wasn't the only foreign visitor stuck in the taxi queue.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Dear Peter H
Thank you for sharing your perspectives regarding your most recent stay with us. Naturally we are truly saddened to read your viewpoints and clearly it seems on this occasion our services fell well short of your needs and expectations for which we profusely apologize.
We have followed-up and checked the bathtub in your bathroom, and we have also taken on-board your comments regarding breakfast. In regards to securing a taxi for you that morning, we do understand that you were greatly inconvenienced by the wait, and again we are truly sorry. However, being at a peak-time, and with it also raining, does unfortunately have a significant effect on taxi availability. It is therefore frequently necessary for our Bellmen and Doormen to use Taxi APPs on smartphones to “call” taxis directly on behalf of guests and this was certainly necessary that morning.
We feel it is such a shame that your stay seems to have been so marred. With this in mind, and in the hope that you will return to us once again – and in the not too distant future - if it is convenient to you, could please kindly contact me so that we can ensure that we look after your needs fully and properly. Thank you. My email address is: Rena.Fu@Swissotel.com

Best Regards,
Rena Fu

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Perfect Hotel. It means nice location either for business, shopping or at evening. Most friendly staff, wonderful rooms especially Pinnacle Suite is highly recommended. Preferred Hotel to me since years. Executive floor including all Service much better than at other comparable hotels. Always a pleasure staying here. Special thanks to Executive Floor Team for making your stay always as comfortable as possible. Thomas S.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with swissotel.com
HotelManager-SSH, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear TS-LV,
We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at Swissôtel Grand Shanghai.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed services at our executive lounge. It is always encouraging to learn that guests are satisfied with our service. As demonstrated by our savory brand reputation what we strive for every day.
Thank you for your time and sharing. We look forward to see you again soon.
Rena Fu / Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed 14 November 2017

I stayed here for the location it is very close to the Jinan temple and shops and restaurants. In particular I visited the Jen dow vegetarian restaurant which is directly behind the Jinan temple. 3 floors of Taiwan vegetarian style food. If you are a vegetarian you will love this place.
This is a beautiful part of Shanghai, they light up Nanjing rd west shopping area at night, creating busy but at the same time atmospheric scene. The hotel foyer is very welcoming and the lobby lounge is excellent. The pool and spa facilities are also excellent. There are many luxury hotels in this area but I found this one to be the best value for money.
Rooms are very well laid out and functional bathrooms are a very nice size.
My room although not a fantastic view was very comfortable and clean and had the added feature of being able to open the window which was nice to let some air in, not common in most Shanghai hotels.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room facing Yu yuan rd
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
HotelManager-SSH, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Dear Surfweb,

Rena Fu

Reviewed 5 November 2017

I have sympathy for a hotel when bad reviews occur on trip advisor when the guest (me) did not complain. However, I did not have time to complain as I was working and a top hotel should not leave the guest for the wish to complain.

I was in room 626 and would advise every traveller to avoid this room. There was no view bar the air-conditioning units which made a noise keeping me awake. Other guests loudly arguing in the corridor also disturbed my sleep. My bathroom had no working hot tap in the bath so I had showers. The shower did not functioning brilliantly either.

If the hotel was not supposed to be a quality one I might have scored it high on the basis of the breakfast which was good. However, I was offered 'young girls' on leaving the hotel and the management needs to jump on this as it is very seedy. This was not the only time I was accosted by professional in Shanghai.

I am sure I was unlucky with my room but there should be no bad rooms in a five star hotel so they need to up their game.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Dear Thomas Ind,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us such a detailed review. We truly appreciate it.

We all take great pride in setting out to provide our guests with the highest standards of service and therefore I am very sorry to learn that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused you due to the bathroom shower water temperature and pressure not being sufficient and I would like to assure you that this will not happen again. Likewise, we are also deeply concerned, saddened and profusely apologetic to learn of your experience when you left the hotel and we are following up with the relevant authorities accordingly.
Your feedback is very important to us and I wish to assure you that we take all comments seriously and we will address these issues accordingly. Receiving feedback, whether positive or indeed negative, certainly allows us to continuously review the quality of services we provide. We also appreciate your kind comment regarding our breakfast.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback, and we do hope that you will allow us the opportunity of warmly welcoming back to Swissôtel Grand Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,