Old House
US$171
US$133
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I am not sure if the management has changed but this is the new name and new location of the Old House. We stayed recently at Kevin's Home in April 2012 for a week and enjoyed it very much. We had our whole family with us in Shanghai and so we rented one large room (big enough for an extra cot and arm chair, sofa and desk) and one suite. The suite had a separate living room with two sofas and a clothes washer which we used with ease on two occasions. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated without being overly 'done'. The staff was very friendly and tried to be helpful although not all staff spoke English. The owner speaks Japanese and English.
We found the location excellent. We could walk to two subways stations easily - 5 and 15 minutes away - on line 7 and line 2. The hotel is located right beside and connected to a good Italian restaurant which prepares a decent cup of morning coffee delivered to your room with scrambled eggs, bread, yoghurt and juice. The only odd thing was that if you ordered scrambled eggs for two, you always got one plate of eggs - presumably two eggs, scrambled, but not two servings of scrambled eggs! Not a complaint, just odd. If the weather is good, breakfast can be eaten on the roof patio.
We highly recommend this B & B. It felt very comfortable to stay for a week. Despite the prime location, it was quiet in the morning - you could hear the birds singing - probably because the location down a lane blocked out some of the street noise.

Room Tip: The suites were bigger but not as pretty. However suites had clothes washers and were probably quieter because not above restaurant.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank elizabeth l
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We selected this hotel based on the hotel's designation by Fodors'.....ignoring the negative comments on tripadvisor. As usual, this was a big mistake.
We were seeking somethin that was small, not a large, international chain. However, we did not want to stay in a rundown, poorly maintained property.
Although we had paid extra to book a large, superior room, we were given a miniscule room our in the back. When I questioned the staff they said that the room we had been assigned was, in fact, a deluxe suite......
I then explored the hotel and determined that, without a doubt, we had been given the smallest room in the place. When I told them this, they said that we had gotten what we paid for/reserved.
Unable to resolve the issue, I contacted our travel agent. After she contacted the hotel, we were moved to the type of room we had reserved. I don't know why they tried to "pull a fast one" but I was very glad that we were moved. If they didn't move us I would definitely have left (an option our travel agent gave us).
Anyway, we stayed as we were tired of moving (this was a one month vacation). But this is not what I would expect from a "Fodor's choice". Although recently renovated for the expo, the whole place badly needed a painting and cleaning. I saw absolutely no evidence of renovations.
I expected a great little restaurant next door but it was closed. Breakfast was very very minimal compared to others offered at similar properties.
Once the room assignment was resolved, the staff was very nice and helpful. However, this place has not been kept up. I understand the ownership is absent. It is evident.
This was the only property we selected (out of 9) in china that was a disappointment.....and it was the only one that I didn't listen to trip advisor!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bcqajbk
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on three different occasions and have been impressed with the level of personalized service. The staff are wonderful and the room and breakfast are always terrific.
Mark R., Oakland, Calif

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Thi sis lovely hotel on the far fringe of French Concession area. Downstairs is a restaurant affiliated with the hotel, A future Perfect. We enjoyed breakfast each morning and lunch on the day of our arrival. Food is good - not outstanding. The rooms and decor are lovely. The front desk is very accommodating. I would surely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the Concession area but remember it is NOT in the heart of the area. Although a short stroll brings you to many shops, restaurants and taxicabs.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed at the Old House as a part of our honey moon and we really loved it! The staff was a little uninterested and less helpful than what you would expect in Asia, the breakfast average and served in a not so charming bar, but this hotel is all about the rooms. Absolutely beautiful!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple