Quintet Bed and Breakfast Guest House
US$72
Trip.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$82/night.

US$148
US$109
US$159
US$120
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The second half of our China trip was to be a week spent in Shanghai, during which time I would be celebrating my birthday. We thought we would splurge a little bit and decided on the Quintet B&B. However, we did still end up going with one of the cheaper rooms, the Fleur de Shanghai, which was still 900RMB/night. Their website is fantastic, very aesthetically pleasing with lots of information about the property and the city.

Bruce greeted us upon arrival and helped us up the stairs with our bags. And there are lots of stairs. 35 stairs, to be exact, to our room which was only on the second floor. That can definitely get tiring after a long day. I would also not recommend anyone with any type of mobility issues to stay here because of them.

Our room was decorated very tastefully, as were the other rooms I happened to see into. It is quite small, though. I've stayed in small rooms before so the size wasn't a big deal, but for the price we were paying it hurt a bit (about $140 CDN a night). There were lots of amenities like robes, two free water bottles per day, tea and tea pot in room, good bath products, hair dryer, safe and more.

Breakfast is Western style, with a choice of eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, tomato, or museli and yogurt. When you check in, you get little slips for each person, each day that you make your selections on and give to the cook each morning. The food was prepared well, but we stayed for an entire week and after a few days it would have been nice to have some different options (and I did have different combos each day).

Some other pros and cons.
Pros:
- I was able to use the computer and printer in the office.
- The rooftop patio is cool
- They left me a note and chocolates on my birthday.
- Sheet with many attractions written in Chinese.
- Close to two metro stations on different lines.
- Big bathtub.

Cons:
- The shower/bathtub leaked like crazy! There was a drain right there, but it took forever to clear off the floor. Dangerous.
- The street noise was very loud.
- While the Quintet is nice, I felt like the price was still way too high for what it was.
- The stairs also make a lot of noise, even if someone is trying to walk quietly. Very disruptive when napping or at midnight when people would come home.

The Quintet is a nice place, but my overall experience was average. If I were to stay in Shanghai again I would look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MissWanderlustCA
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Lovely place to stay in Shanghai. Tastefully decorated rooms and yummy breakfasts. Excellent location, close to two metro stations and loads of restaurants. Kenny and Bruce were both great hosts, very accommodating. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Really excellent place to stay in Shanghai, the location is great and the rooms are immaculate, stylish and comfortable. Breakfast was really delicious, cooked fresh for you by the chef, and the staff (Kenny and Bruce) go out of their way to help. Simple touches, like a handy list of places to go written in Chinese characters ready for you to give to taxi drivers and a list of good places to eat locally, really make a difference. We stayed in 'Aurora' which was perfect, complete with private terrace. We will be back.

2  Thank Lucy E
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Husband & I stayed here for two nights & loved it. Was our last stop on a 2-week trip in China, and the perfect end. Clean, great location, friendly & helpful staff, and a delicious breakfast too! More than accommodating, the Quintet staff leaves great tips for your sight-seeing ventures in Shanghai, arranges taxis in a timely fashion, and even assisted us in finding out if tickets were still available to a local show before making the trek there. Also, when our departure time required us to leave before breakfast, they'd had delicious sandwiches packed in our room to take on the road. We were in the Bubbling Room, which was quite nice. Only downfall was the few steps to the bathroom, as we'd done an extensive hike the day before arriving and our legs were quite sore. All things considered, highly recommend!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JSM41
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at Quintet for five nights in early February. We loved the location, on a nice French Concession street just a couple of blocks from two subway stations that serve three lines. (One of these is line 2, which serves both airports.) The building and rooms are quaint but fully renovated, with all conveniences and many extras (robes, bottled water, hair dryer, tea kettle and tea set, large safe for valuables, etc.). Excellent breakfasts are cooked to order and served in the dining room on the ground floor. We would definitely stay here again.

My only disappointment: we stayed in the "Oriental Pearl" suite on the ground floor. It's the most expensive accommodation, because in addition to the sleeping room it has a lovely glass-walled and roofed sitting room with a chaise longue and an antique desk. That room is very nice, but because of all the glass, in February it was much too cold to use. I wished we had booked one of the less expensive rooms, although I can imagine that in warmer weather the Oriental Pearl suite might be worth the extra money.

Room Tip: Don't pay a premium for the Oriental Pearl suite in mid-winter; the sitting room is too cold to use.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends