US$148
US$132
US$154
US$111
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbutler servicespg hotelssocial restaurantdrawing roomstarwood groupbody washtoilet flushin room diningplatinum memberjapanese restaurantfloor overlookingfree weightshotel facilitieslobby floorstunning hoteljingan templelobby restaurant
Reviewed 30 November 2017

Arrived with a friend to check into the hotel and we were passed arround by the front desk agents as if no one wanted to check us in. Finally after two agents flip flopped about who was going to handle the check in we were checked in.

Our first room that we checked into had a smoke filled bathroom, pretty dissappointing for a long days worth of travelling. The 2nd room had a strange water pressure issue with both the sink and the shower, the water would randomly spray out of the faucet. Definitely not what 12k worth of SPG points is worth.

The few highlights, breakfast buffet offered a variety of options and the executive chef came out to greet guests and ensure that they were enjoying their meal. The bell/concierge staff did a great job offering directions and ensuring we didnt get lost.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
WEI HAO W, 经理 at The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2017

Dear PandaLovesTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the St. Regis Shanghai Jingan with us. Your feedback regarding the service our team provided caught my attention. I am very sorry to learn that the we failed to provide high standard service upon you arrival. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the team in an effort to improve our service. It was also disappointing for us to learn that we were unable to meet with your expectations on some hardware-wise issues in room. And we have taken your feedback very seriously and that we will look into those issues in serious manner. I also would like to appreciate your kind feedback regarding our restaurant and concierge service. Moreover, I am indeed happy to share your compliments with colleagues and I am confident that it would further encourage them to provide continuous high quality service to our customers. Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Shanghai.

Dan Xu
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

I made a minor complaint here on TripAdvisor months ago. When I checked in this time, i was told that the hotel is aware of it, making me happy that probably they would do a better job this time.
However I was totally wrong.
I did the mobile checkin, as a Platinum member, I noticed that they offered a suite to me on my SPG app. But when I arrived at the hotel at 6 pm, the front desk told me that I was downgraded for no reason and just gave me a club room whatsoever.

I made no protest because everyone would make mistake and just take the club room. I booked the room days before, while the room has not entertained any of my preference nor with welcome fruit or letter.

I called the switchboard to reconfirm them with my preference so that I would receive them every time and told them to do the evening services. After I came back I found none of my requests being done. The duty manager offered sincere apologies over it and asked what he could help after all, I said just two bottles of water would be fine. Already 1:30 am, an hour after I hanged up, I still got no extra water.

On the second day, I communicated with the duty manager to switch the room as we have many many luggages, at around 3pm. We were told to wait, as long as they were ready, they would call. The news is that no one ever called back afterwards.

In the evening, I made four calls to ask the concierge to collect the luggages and switch the room, which took them more than an hour to get it done.

At very late night, we came back to the new room, apparently no preference was honored, nor a minor turn down service like the first night.

The duty manager came and apologized sincerely as well, nothing could be done. I proposed to see the GM the next afternoon around 1:30pm and she sweared to try help.

On the next day, I came back from lunch at 1:40pm and waited in the room more than an hour to see the manager.

Finally we met because I had to check out downstairs. It seems he happened to be at the lobby. We just shaked hands and a few words exchanged and only pretended nothing bad really happened because I was only left 1 minute to talk before I got to catch my train.

Just unbelievably disappointing.
There was No iPad control system, no wechat communication function with the butler, nor personal recognition as I walked down the lobby and none of the management team or front desk would notice and pull me over to see the GM. I was even seemingly criticized by their FOM like I was wasting their GM’s time because the GM has been waiting for me all the time.

At least one time they being efficient and professional would make me happy but they just wouldn’t.

Anyway, they don’t care a dime about guest services and that’s the conclusion.

I do appreciate it that they somehow arranged me seeing the GM while apparently they underestimated my anger and GM was not at all briefed about my situation. GM should not be just a souvenir, I don’t want to waste my time talking again and again about your lousy services. Manager should come and provide the final solution instead of knowing little about what happened to your guests.

Please do have some decency or mercy, not to play around with your loyal guests any more.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
WEI HAO W, 经理 at The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Dear TimGiotia_Ren,

Thank you for sharing your comments, and I sincerely apologies for us not being able to respond fast enough to your service inquires. Please allow me to highlight that the room provided was an Executive Suite room, which is two categories above your originally booked category, thus being the correct upgrade and in line with your members benefits. I can assure you that our team is trying very hard to accommodate all guest preferences, thus making an effort to provide you with even another option in order to accommodate your requests. Again, as I offered my help before, feel free to contact me directly in case I can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the St. Regis Shanghai for the first time this November with two friends. I had my own room which was appointed with a very comfy king-sized bed. The bathroom was beautiful with an enormous bathtub and rainshower system. The views from my room on the 41st floor were stunning.

I ate the buffet breakfast once during my stay and found it good but not exceptional. We also ate dinner in the hotel bar one night and were quite disappointed with the food. The pizza was soggy and the burger was way undercooked despite being ordered medium. The drinks are nice. I do not recommend eating in the bar, but it is lovely for a cocktail and has beautiful decor.

Service was overall very friendly, especially the concierge desk where staff members were very helpful in ordering taxis and booking appointments or reservations for us. They generally spoke excellent English. The staff in the bar spoke varying degrees of English with some speaking very little. I live in Hong Kong and of course understand and appreciate that not all staff in Asia will speak fluent English. However, my only request in these instances is that the staff member recognizes his or her own difficulty in communicating with the customer and tries to find another staff member to help. I would much rather wait a few minutes for help with translation than receive the wrong order or cause a misunderstanding.

The location of the hotel is nice for business or shopping and there is some good dining nearby (we really enjoyed Bella Napoli across the street). However it is at least a 8-10-minute walk to the subway and then a ride down to the Bund or other areas. Cabs are basically required for transport to the lovely French Concession. The airport is very far away, as is Shanghai Disneyland. In traffic on the day of my arrival, it took 1.5 hours in a taxi from the airport (and cost 260 RMB). Be aware.

I did not visit the fitness room, spa, or pool. I certainly would have gone to the pool if there had been a co-ed hot tub there, but there are only small sex-segregated hot tubs within the spa. This was a big disappointment as I am a female traveling with two male companions and we were hoping to relax in a hot tub in the cold evenings.

We all agreed that it was a very nice stay overall and we would stay here again, but I would also take location into consideration based on what activities I had planned for the stay.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
WEI HAO W, 经理 at The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2017

Dear Sarah C,

Thank you very much for staying at The St. Regis Shanghai, the new address in this unparalleled city. I am delighted to learn that our team provided you with the comfort and level of service, The St. Regis brand is renowned for. Moreover, it was my pleasure to share your kind words with my colleagues and I am confident this will motivate them to exceed our guest’s expectations in the future as well.

Please be assured that your constructive feedback on taste of bar food has been shared with our chefs, moreover since your detailed feedback allows us to identify the areas that we will need to focus on, in order to ensure that any future visit of yours will be a perfect and memorable.

We would be pleased to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in order to prove to you our true ability to deliver a service with meets or even exceeds your expectations.

The St. Regis Shanghai

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed for a night here over the weekend in October. Very nice decor and the the hotels architecture. However, the service & maintenance is average for the hotel of this caliber (ie when compared with Park Hyatt for example).

Some of the things to note: The toilet bidet consistently leaked water, the bath electric blinds made a loud clunk sound when closed and then opened and they don’t have international power adapters or extension cords strip?!? Also the cushions along the room windows had some very visible white stain marks..!!!

The breakfast is good but not great. I asked to make a scrambled egg and got an omelet (very poorly made with soft parts inside). In contrast, Park Hyatt makes super fluffy eggs and you can taste the quality there.

One thing that’s the best though is the bed! Very nice pillow top matrices.

Overall, I’d give it 3 out of 5 stars for my experience.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Faisal A
WEI HAO W, 经理 at The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Dear Faisal A,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, but also to provide some valuable feedback for us, something that is surely appreciated as it helps to better identify the areas in need of improvements. First of all, please accept my sincere apology for not matching the standard of service you have been used to, but please let me assure you that we are following up on all your comments while working diligently to keep improving on all our services. Having said that, I’d like thank you as well for highlighting the hotels nice décor, and our super comfortable matrices and pillows, something most of our regular guests truly enjoy and appreciate.

Mr. Faisal, thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future hoping that you would be giving us another chance to redeem ourselves and to once again restore your confidence into our brand.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Room is really nice with great views. Only recently opened so staff still need training for consistency.
I always ordered green tea for breakfast, over the ~10 nights stay I received:
-3x One full cup (very small) without ever been asked whether I want a refill
-3x A full cup and then leaving the tea pot on the table, which I appreciated.
-I ordered green tea and my colleague black tea. I received the black tea and my colleague nothing.
-I ordered green tea and received coffee.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear Martin K,

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed our rooms and thank you for the constructive feedback for our consistency in services particularly for our breakfast. We hope you will accept our apologies for not being able to recognize our long staying guests and your preferences. With your constructive feedback, we will emphasize to our staffs with urgency on the consistency of tea and coffee service provided with a set standard, so all guests will expect the same day in day out. I also hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future and see our effort to make it right, please do let me know via email derrick.lim@stregis.com the next time you visit, and me and my team will be right at your service.

Derrick Lim