“Wonderful hotel & excellent Hilton HHonors Diamond treatment.”

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #6 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 16 March 2012

There is a separate hotel entrance on the side street that I was not aware of. Anyway, there were two doormen that quickly radioed my name from the luggage tags to the front desk. This is really how it should work in five star hotels. By the time we got to the front desk, everything was ready and I was just escorted to the suite where the check in formalities i.e. scanning of the passport was done.

The suite was absolutely stunning. Even though it was called just a junior suite, it could have been as easily classified as an executive suite as well. In addition to the spacious bedroom there was a separate half sized room with a work desk as well.

The fruit display with cherries was the most impressive I have ever received at a Hilton property. In addition there was some hard candy on the other room and selection of desserts on the bedroom next to the television.

I was surprised to find Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Soul bathroom amenities.

Fitness center had modern equipment, but was quite small considering the size of the hotel. Same for the pool. The workout facility was not busy when I was there.

The breakfast was very good that is complimentary for Diamond, and most likely for Gold members as well. You had a selection of items that you could order from the ala carte menu and rather extensive buffet.

This was really a very good Hilton family hotel. The service is typically not so great even at “better” hotels in China. My stay at the Waldorf-Astoria Shanghai on the Bund was as perfect as it could have been, however. Wouldn’t hesitate to return and most certainly will.

Room Tip: Try to get a room/suite with a Bund view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LoyaltyLobby
Write a ReviewReviews (1,542)

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Great location, fantastic accomodations, delicious food, cordial and helpful staff - the blending of the historical structure with the new hotel tower yields one of the most beautiful and spacious lobbies I've ever seen.

Room Tip: The views on the East side facing the river are spectacular!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Waldorf Astoria is a piece of Shanghai history. The staff gave us a complete tour and the brunch was beautiful. Soon we are going back for drinks at the once, longest bar in Asia or the excellent harpist at tea time.

Room Tip: The front rooms are amazing. The view of The Bund inspiring.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2012

this is a great hotel.

the rooms are beautiful. the service was wonderful. the gym and pool facilities are good.

we found the internet service slow sometimes, but not a real issue.

the location is perfect.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2012

As soon as we arrived, we felt treated like someone very special. The check in process was so smooth right in our room with great introduction to room and the area. The room is very spacious with great view of Pudong. The bed is very comfortable with 8 choices of pillows. The main controller for lights, curtains, TV and others are handy. Spring water and sparkling water is fully supplied with variety of tea, Nespresso coffee, snack and fruit. The bathroom is spacious with separate tub and rain shower with marble finish. Toiletries are very good quality. There is also a TV right in the bathroom mirror. TOTO toilet is very impressive with lots of features. Breakfast has abundant choices with choices of coffee and other morning drinks. The hotel atmosphere is just grand.

But the reason that really made me write this review was their exceptional service. The first day, I found out I lost something in the plane, I called concierge and asked for the number to call Lost and Found at the airport, they tried to help me right away and offered to make the phone call for me. The next day, I needed to have information from the airline and about shipping a package, they have taken care of that very quickly. They also helped me connected with our private guide who showed up a little late. The hotel is quite big but we felt very welcome wherever we walked. After we left, we found out that we left some belongings there. I called and got very prompt response and our stuff would be sent free of charge to a hotel in Beijing just in time for our arrival.

Having stayed at a lot of hotels around the world, I have to say this is outstandingly exceptional.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple