All reviews hailun road japanese restaurant metro station club room bund view business trip top floor the executive lounge four nights rain shower convenient location bund area buffet breakfast pudong airport miyabi taxi china
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Hongkou for 6 nights and I have to say that it was one of the best experiences we have had. I was there with my wife for a leisure trip.
The hotel is fairly new so the décor and facilities are what you would expect in a luxurious 5 star hotel.

The hotel is located near the bund and we were lucky enough to have a suite on the top floors. Now, the suite was perfect because of all the amenities and on how clean it was but what was breathtaking was the view. Our room had floor to ceiling windows facing Pudong.
We went to Shanghai to see the city but it was hard to leave the room.

We didn’t really eat in the restaurants because we slept late and went out at night but we did try the Sheraton executive lounge on the top floor that served a small buffet and all you can drink beverages. The staff were amazing and the food was delicious.
We tried room service twice and everything was so delicious. Staff were very polite too

Upon checking out we met the western General Manager who was very nice and professional.
All in all, I highly recommend the Sheraton and we’ll definitely be back

Room Tip: Ask to face the Pudong skyline and to to get an upgrade to a suite. They are HUGE!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear Gab76,

Thank you for your comments and we really do appreciate your kind words!!

Please contact us whenever you plan to visit us again.

Neil McDonald & Nitin Abbi

GM & Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is definitely the best choice for smart travellers in Shanghai. It's quoted price with discount is always surprising people which gives people an impression of only three-four star this hotel is. But when you see the hotel building itself, you will realize what a fantastic hotel it is.

We stayed in an executive room which is gorgeous. I have travelled for about 10 days before arriving in Shanghai and staying in several five-star hotels all across Asia but this bed is the most comfortable and both me and my wife love it so much. The size of the room itself is not so great, but every decoration in the room makes it looking modern and lovely.

The breakfast at the 37th floor of executive lounge is another enjoyable moment. The view of the city is perfect, and having the breakfast in such a good environment makes a really nice start of the day. However, I would like to say the quality of the food is relatively normal, so in order to get better taste, I was told it's better to have the breakfast in downstairs restaurant.

One of the things I don't like of the room is the light is a bit dim, and really I like a room with bright sight. But that's a personal taste, and believe there are people who prefer the secret feeling.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear featheast,

Thank you for your review and it is good to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again, so that I could personally take care of your room allocation.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I arrived in shanghai with my boyfriend on Dec 23rd 2011. We had stayed in hostels so far and decided to we fancied a little luxury for Christmas eve and Christmas night. After searching through endless reviews on google we decided that The Hayatt hotels were way over budget and came to trip advisor for some guidance. The Sheraton had fantastic reviews and was considerably cheaper so we jumped on the subway to go see for ourselves.

We arrived at the hotel (literally across the road from the subway) and headed to reception to enquire. I really wanted a high floor for the view and wifi as we wanted to Skype family on Xmas day. After discussing our options it was still over budget by a long way, around £180pn. Sadly we walked away n headed for the subway. I couldn't even make up the rest if I tried....

The guest service manager Nitin called us back to the entrance and asked us why we had left. We explained we were on a tight budget and just couldn't stretch to it. He invited us back inside for a chat in the lobby bar and brought over hot drinks and biscuits. He went for a chat with the GM and came back to us with the most amazing news! He had upgraded our room to a Club King Bund View, breakfast, wifi and club lounge access and all for our budget of £100pn! My jaw hit the floor! We were over the moon!

To add to this he asked us if we would like a tour of the hotel whilst we were there so we knew where everything was the next day. He took us into the spa which was just beautiful! We went to see the pool, gym, feast buffet which had every food imaginable, even a sweet section with a chocolate fountain and pick and mix! Amazing! We went to the japanese and Chinese restaurants and the club lounge.

Our room was Awesome with a great view, free bar and food in the club lounge from 5pm - 8.30pm was fantastic, drunken room service at 12am arrived in 30 minutes, beautiful steak, prawns and ice cream just delicious. Nitin had given us vouchers for the spa which we used on Xmas night for a foot massage. We also ate in the japanese restaurant on Christmas evening, the food was out of this world.

The hotel was absolutely immaculate. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face the whole time. We were treated like royalty, felt like we were on our honeymoon or something, I could not have asked for more. I'm usually quite hard to please and love complaining but this has got the be the best hotel I've ever stayed in hands down. The service and staff were fantastic, nothing was a problem. Considering we were arrived in scruffy clothes with our backpacks we were treated like celebs from the moment we walked through the door.

Amazing experience, highly recommended!! Thank you to Nitin and the staff for making our Christmas :) Kim x

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KimR27
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear KimR27,

Thank you for your detailed comment and I still do remember you. It was really great to have met you in person and moreover it is good to see that we were able to make your stay memorable. As you have experienced from our handling, we really do care about our valuable guests. It starts at the top with our GM and Hotel Manager and really flows down to each of the associates. For us it is really about making the guests stay memorable.

Our club lounge is one of the best lounges in Shanghai and our GM emphasized on setting and maintaining a high level of standard.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit Shanghai again so that I could personally take care of your room allocation.

Kind regards from Shanghai

Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed in the Deluxe room during our trip in Shanghai, which on both occasions offered spectacular views overlooking Pudong landscape and the lit-up Oriental Pearl at night.

The location of the hotel was a major plus as its proximity to Metro Lines 4 & 10 made it convenient to travel across different parts of the town. Note, however, there seem to be limited choice of restaurants/eateries around the vicinity, one would have to venture to Sichuan North Rd or the Bund precinct for shopping and tourist activities. Breakfast served fresh in the hotel restaurant catering a variety of tastes from Western to traditional Chinese dishes.

Rooms - spacious and well appointed, requests were efficiently dealt with in general. We retreated to our room one evening to find a kitchen-fume-like smell venting through the air-conditioner, a lady staff quickly attended to the problem with an air ionizer in order to improve the state of the room. We appreciate briefly meeting with Mr. Nitin the GM who offered to resolve issues relating to our booking and we thank him for his kind gesture.

The hotel has adequate facilities and overall a high standard among other business hotels in Shanghai such as Swissotel Grand and Le Royal Meridien. It ticks the right boxes in our book and we look forward to future stays when visiting Shanghai.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank HelenHui
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear HelenHui,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed comment about our property. The view to the Oriental Pearl is definitely a highlight which enriches our guests experience. One can experience even a better view from our Japanese Restaurant Miyabi.

It was really pleasure to meet you in our Club Lounge and I appreciate the feedback. However, I would like to mention that I am not the GM of the hotel, I am the Guest Service Manager, our GM is Mr. Neil McDonald who is a fantastic GM and who emphasizes a lot on going the extra mile!

Please do contact me whenever you plan to visit us again so that I could personally take care of your well being.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

We spent 9 days in Shanghai and I do not exagerate by stating that I really had one of my best holiday trips ever. In large parts we owe this very good experience to this hotel where we stayed. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable, the pool area is one of the largest ones in Shanghai and the food is excellent (particularly the Japanese restaurant Myabi at floor 37). Regarding interior and equipment, the hotel can be highly recommended for both holiday and business trip as well. The location is fantastic, right at the subway station Hailun Rd, line 10, only few stations away from Nanjing Rd. and People's Square (incl. e.g. the Shanghai Museum) in the West and the Pudong financial district (incl. e.g. the Jin Mao Tower) in the East. Even from our hotel suite in the 34th floor, we had a wonderful view over most of these centerpieces. Many thanks to the staff - especially the guest hotel manager Mr. Nitin Abbi provided us an extraordinarily excellent service, perfectly tailored to our needs. We/I will definately come back!

Room Tip: Ask Mr Abbi
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank King K

Dear King K,

Thank you for your great comments on tripadvisor. We all are pleased to see that you had a great stay at our property. The location is actually really convenient due to the nearby subway station and I do agree that our Japanese restaurant provides various culinary highlights.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again!