New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Ranked #76 of 4,566 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Truly an exceptionally good hotel where it is a joy to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My sister and I wanted to spend a few days holiday in China. Before going I read hundreds of reviews and, based on what they said, only a few days before we travelled out from the UK, I decided on this new Sheraton in Shanghai. What a good decision that was! We received a very warm welcome and had a most enjoyable stay. We have just got back to the UK after spending five nights there.

Nitin Abbi the manager was charming, personally welcoming us to the hotel and was able to generously upgrade us to a room on one of the Club floors and to extend the benefits of the Club Lounge to us. These benefits should not be underestimated. The lounge is much nicer than those I have come across in other hotels and. it is a really lovely place to have breakfast and enjoy the wonderful refreshments during 'Happy Hour' in the evening. The food I found to be consistently excellent. It was always freshly made, well presented and enjoyable. I think that the standard of food throughout the hotel is very high. I looked at the Feast restaurant which has a pleasant layout and excellent food on offer.

We were invited to try the Miyabi Japanese Restaurant on the same (37th) floor as the Club Lounge. It has the best views looking out towards the Bund and the river and produces an instant 'Wow' factor on entry. Here too the food and welcome deserve a special mention. The salmon and tuna Sashimi is great and the Teppanyaki Beef, tender and delicious, is a 'must have' if you go there. Other courses were good too. Personally I thought that the Miso Soup was the best I had ever had anywhere (including Japan!) The service was good but a little rushed perhaps. It might be better to have clear pauses between courses and allow people time to drink in the spectacular view, the ambiance and the pleasing decor and presentation of the food.

The relatively new manager Paul is very personable and has a number of ideas that he will be introducing which promise to make the restaurant even more desirable. I can see it becoming a very popular and fashionable place for people to meet even if it means travelling in from the outskirts of the City.

I thought the rooms in the hotel were sumptuously comfortable and loved the fixtures and fittings in the bathroom and the walk-in wet-room style shower. The bath, with a wonderful view through the bedroom windows is also of a very pleasing design. Everything was spotlessly clean and gleaming. My only criticism would be that I think ladies definitely need a brighter light by the make-up mirror and it would be better to have a smaller mat in the space by the sink that doesn't catch on the bathroom and toilet doors when they open. I agree with the comment too that the lighting in the room might be brighter.

A particular plus for the hotel in my opinion is the magnificent indoor 25 metre swimming pool. In the spirit of the hotel it too is warm and inviting. The chairs around it are comfortable and stylish and there are nice little thoughtful touches like having a plentiful supply of complimentary drinking water around - as is the case in the rooms too. The ladies changing rooms does do badly need towel hooks outside the showers though! At present the only option is to put one's towel on the wet wall of the splash pools.

I now only stay in hotels that have complimentary wifi available in the lobby and/or certain communal lounges. Rest assured this one does!

As other reviews have highlighted, the location of the hotel is very good given its proximity to the metro station literally just across the road. It is a very short journey of just three or four stations to the most popular parts of the town too so takes only a few minutes. Given the short distances involved taxis are not expensive so they provide another easy option for getting to other places..

Finally when you go be sure to notice the hotel coffee cups which are of an unusual and interesting well sculpted design. They are quite a talking point!

This hotel, highly and equally suitable for all categories of visitors on business or leisure trips, rightly deserves its high rating on this site I think. You will not be disappointed!

Congratulations and thanks to the management and staff who really and readily go out of their way to please. Special thanks to Nitin Abbi.

CB London UK

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view we had where you could watch the trains far below climbing along a stretch of el...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bee292

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Last week I was looking to do something special for my mom for her first trip to Shanghai. My mom has been an incredible support and amazing mother and I wanted to make her feel special and appreciated during our trip. Normally I am a Marriott customer, but I was so impressed by the reivews that people shared and the kindness of the staff, in particular Mr. Abbi, that I decided to book a club room at the Sheraton Hongkou.

Prior to our arrival I wrote an email to Mr. Abbi and noted that I had chosen the hotel because I wanted to do something special for my mom. Mr. Abbi responded with a warm and enthusiastic welcome and informed us that he would try to upgrade our room and make our welcome special. He also informed me that to ensure that my mom's stay was extra special for her, he would offer my mother a complementary massage in the Shine Spa. At that point I knew we had made the right choice.

Upon our 11pm arrival we were greeted by the Duty Manager with a warm welcome who noted that Mr. Abbi had asked that the Manager pass on his regards to us. Upon checking in, we found that Mr. Abbi had upgraded us to a club room with a river view and more spacious facilities. Finally, when we walked into the room, we were greeted by a large fruit arrangement and chocolates especially for my mom! Both my mom and I were bowled over.

We met Mr. Abbi the next morning in the Executive Lounge on the 37th floor, with striking views of Shanghai. Mr. Abbi was incredibly warm and welcoming. He and I made plans to meet up the next day to discuss my mom's massage surprise in more detail.

The Executive Club breakfast was amazing and the views were fantastic. We struggled to choose between our room or the Executive Lounge for breakfast as both views were incredible!

From the hotel it was incredibly easy to get around. Though you could walk to the river, we chose to take the Line 10 metro, which was literally right outside the hotel's front door, two stops to E. Nanjing Rd which is the main access point to the Bund, shopping and the city's central parks. I didn't realize from the description how easy it was to get around from this hotel. It is truly in a fabulous location for sightseeing.

In the evening my mom and I had cocktails in the Executive Lounge, which also had great nibbles and desserts. One could easily have made a full dinner out of it if you chose to do so. We decided to go out and in the evenings we took a taxi back to the hotel. Though the hotel is new, we didn't have any problems with the taxi's finding the hotel. Just in case, your hotel key comes in a card holder with the hotel address and phone number, should you have any problems.

The next day, after fantastic sightseeing, Mr. Abbi showed me the facilities that my mom would have access to during her massage. The massage room was amazing! Incredibly, incredibly beautiful. Mr. Abbi also gave me a tour of the meeting rooms, ballrooms and other facilities for corporate gatherings. Roomy, spacious, with great breakout rooms, the hotel is ideal for corporate functions and large scale dinners.

The next day, my mom went down to her massage after a long day of sight seeing. She came back raving about the amazing room and wonderful masseuse. It was just what she needed after several days of tromping around Shanghai.

In the end, we also had the opportunity to briefly meet the GM, Neil MacDonald. Mr. MacDonald was equally warm and welcoming during our time there. The management team is exceptional in their warm rapport and fantastic service.

We are thrilled to have chosen this hotel and highly, highly recommend it for people looking for a wonderful experience in Shanghai.

Thank you to the Sheraton Hongkou team for making our stay absolutely unforgettable!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank syg205
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear syg205,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review on tripadvisor.com. Furthermore, it was really a pleasure to have met you personally. It is wonderful to see that we were able to meet and exceed our brand promise.

Please do contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

Additionally, please pass my regards to your mother.

Have a wonderful day!

Kind regards

Nitin Abbi

Guest Service Manager
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

At the end of a busy business trip stopping in mainly Chinese hotels (which have been very good, although difficult at times) its been nice to stop somewhere that offers a little luxury and comfort. Although we had a little difficulty reserving the room, the manager soon sorted the issue out for us, and gave us an upgrade by way of an appology. The attitude of the staff is excellent, as is the quality of service. The western style restaurant and the Japanese restaurant are both excellent, with a wide choice of food that will appeal to many tastes. If you have to stop in one hotel in Shanghai, I would certainly recomend this one!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rngrng
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed here for three nights, and was fortunate enough to get upgraded to a Club room. This hotel is stunning! The rooms are spacious, beds ginormous and the pillows are the most comfortable I've ever laid my head on.

The service from the staff is outstanding. The concierge and reception speak excellent english, and are only too happy to help you search out xiao long bao dumplings (make sure you try these, they are delish) and any other hidden Shanghai treasures.

It's only down side is it's not right in the heart of city, BUT...it's so cheap to catch taxis, it really isn't a problem and there is a nearby shopping street to explore. It's a little on the slightly more expensive side, but it's worth the splurge. I didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on the food, but I'm sure it's incredible, as is all the food I've enjoyed in China.

If I return to Shanghai, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure they put you on the side looking towards the bund.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kiwijodie
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear kiwijodie,

Thank you for your comment and I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us. Our 471 Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are definitely one of the best beds within the hotel industry.

Please do contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

Warm regards

Nitin

Guest Service Manager
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Hongkou for 6 nights and I have to say that it was one of the best experiences we have had. I was there with my wife for a leisure trip.
The hotel is fairly new so the décor and facilities are what you would expect in a luxurious 5 star hotel.

The hotel is located near the bund and we were lucky enough to have a suite on the top floors. Now, the suite was perfect because of all the amenities and on how clean it was but what was breathtaking was the view. Our room had floor to ceiling windows facing Pudong.
We went to Shanghai to see the city but it was hard to leave the room.

We didn’t really eat in the restaurants because we slept late and went out at night but we did try the Sheraton executive lounge on the top floor that served a small buffet and all you can drink beverages. The staff were amazing and the food was delicious.
We tried room service twice and everything was so delicious. Staff were very polite too

Upon checking out we met the western General Manager who was very nice and professional.
All in all, I highly recommend the Sheraton and we’ll definitely be back

Room Tip: Ask to face the Pudong skyline and to to get an upgrade to a suite. They are HUGE!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Gab76,

Thank you for your comments and we really do appreciate your kind words!!

Please contact us whenever you plan to visit us again.

Kind regards