US$188
US$133
US$205
US$153
Agoda.com
All reviewshailun roadjapanese restaurantthe club loungemetro stationspg platinumbund viewthe entire hoteltop floorbusiness tripvery nice hotelfour nightsbund areaconvenient locationbreakfast buffetpudong airportmiyabitaxi
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Typical stylish and comfortable Asian hotel. Comfortable, stylish, quiet rooms, good beds. Large bathrooms and shower stalls. Several restaurants on site to choose from. Would stay here again. Check in was prompt. Communication in English was very easy.

Room Tip: No particular tips
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
David C, General Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear Angus_Inca,

Thank you for taking time to share your wonderful feedback with us.
We are pleased to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable, comfortable experience and that your high expectations were met on a variety of services and amenities that were available to you.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

It's the little things that separate an ok travel experience from a great one, and that usually comes down to management building a team that really cares. We had a lot of great little experiences with thia hotel's team that made our stay enjoyable.

Here are a few of them.

1. My colleague and I don't speak or read Mandarin so we relied heavily on the bell staff to communicate to taxi drivers for us. It was clear that some of the staff were struggling a bit with English and rather than just taking a guess as I have had happen elsewhere with bad results, they enlisted a coworker, checked on their phone's map, and so on till they were satisfied that they really understood, and made sure the taxis knew where to take us.

2. We arrived back at the hotel Friday evening tired and famished after hours of sight seeing. We had wound up in an area where we couldn't find a restaurant so grabbed a taxi "home" and headed to the hotel's buffet restaurant (Feast) thinking that grabbing food right away from the buffet would be best while we were so hungry. But the buffet was over and being torn down, the hostess explained. We thought at first that she was saying the restaurant was closed, and our reactions must have made an impression on her. I think I said something like, "but we're so hungry!" imagining the time it takes to get room service, before we realized the restaurant was still open for a la carte. Either that or she saw how we looked longingly at the cut fruit and cheese that were still out from the buffet on our way to the table. Whatever it was, she saw how exhausted and hungry we were and she did something awesome. She put together a plate of cut fruit and brought it to us. No fruit has ever tasted better than those slicds of melon, papaya and dragonfruit! A small thing that cost the hotel nothing but totally made our night. On top of that, my colleague's Nicoise salad was a thing of beauty with huge chunks or lightly seared tuna, and my wonton noodle soup cme with slices of lean bbq pork and a nice broth that was not overly salted. An excellent end to a long evening.

3. My colleague left a couple of items in the lobby lounge when we left for the airport. He called the hotel, who immediately connected him with someone who knew where the items were. I have had calls like that be frustrating and fruitless but this one was immediately reassuring. They took his contact info and promised to follow up about getting the items to him. Before the plane took off, he got a call back from a hotel employee whose English was excellent to make then arrangements so we took off reassured that he would get the items back.

None of these examples are huge, but the consistency stands out. I would choose this hotel again over one that is closer to our office or the tourist zone because I know the service culture runs deep and especially for a frequent business traveler, that is huge.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Dear SJinHK,

Reviewed 3 September 2017

I encountered a service issue which caused a hiccup in my trip logistics. I wrote to the General Manager of the property with my feedback via email twice and fax once, over the course of 5 weeks the GM simply will not respond to me. Regardless whether the GM considered my feedback legit or not, even if he did not agree with me, I believe at the minimum he should have the basic courtesy to respond to an SPG Lifetime Platinum member. It's an example of a hotel top management's failure to value guest loyalty.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Stayed here 4 nights on a business trip. The room itself was nice with a great shower and comfortable bed. My only complaint, and it seems to be a trend, is that the only thing on the bed was a duvet. Not sure why these are so popular since it only allows 2 sleeping temperatures. You can sleep with nothing on or a heavy duvet. I much prefer a blanket and sheet which gives you a lot more options for temperature control. My room was on the 25th floor and had a decent view.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I thought the food was just okay. The breakfast buffet had a lot of choices but it seemed liked 75% of it was fried. I only had two other meals in the hotel and again the food was good but not exceptional. I struggle getting used to service outside the US where the responsibility is on the customer to get the attention of the server for another drink or the bill. There were times in the bar on the top floor where it took 20 minutes to get a drink refilled or get the check at the end of the night.

The gym had decent equipment and the pool was nice. Both seemed a little crowded in the morning but were usually empty mid day. The spa was closed, permanently I think, which was disappointing because I was looking forward to a massage after the long flight. I would have expected them to have a recommendation for another place close by or an affiliation with a group that provides on site massages but they didn't.

In summary the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet which I find most important but the overall experience wasn't 5 star.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
David C, General Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Dear Mike K,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience.

We are glad to hear that you like our room and enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Your comment regarding our duvet has been shared with our rooms department. Actually, we have various kinds of quilts can be selected if you have the request. I apologize that our waiter on the top floor did not perform proactively. Our management team and I will pay more attention to our staff’s services and make them be more professional.

We really look forward to seeing you again and have a better experience.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

location is very great, 3 min walk from HaiLun metro station, where you can ride for 2 different lines;
Not far of drive from the bund and PuDong and Shanghai city center;
Facility is with 5 star Sheraton standard, and well maintained
Room is spacious and neat;
but this hotel already been existed for quite a few years, so not the most modern decors;
Swimming pool is broken, and during our stays there's no sign of repairing efforts,
Price is in higher side, and service is adequate, but nothing spectacular...
Generally it's an adequate high-end hotel with satisfactory convenience.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Dear EdwardLu,

Thank you for taking time to share your wonderful feedback with us.

We are pleased to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable, comfortable experience and We hope that your high expectations were met on a variety of services and amenities that will be available to you during your next stay.