“Best Culinary Experience in Shanghai”

Lingo Restaurant and Wine Bar
Ranked #855 of 17,245 Restaurants in Shanghai
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: People’s Square
Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Great service!
High attention to detail with high quality food.
And best salmon I had in my life (never said this before).
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Reviewed 24 May 2016 via mobile

I have been here many many times before and they always provide great service and a fantastic dinner. Wine list is excellent. I'll be back on my next Shanghai trip.

Reviewed 12 April 2015 via mobile

We got to Lingo following the good reviews here on TripAdvisor.

Since it was Sunday evening, the restaurant was very quiet. As we sat down, a welcoming French host greeted us and provided some good recommendations on menu items. When we asked about a "green salad", which the restaurant does not have on its menu, he immediately said it was no problem to make one for us.

Along with the salad, we ordered the cheese fondue, a fillet steak and a dish with a menu name that I cannot recall, but it was what the Swiss call "Zurich geschnetzeltes" - veal escalope strips with onions and mushrooms in cream sauce, served with rosti.

The fondue was wonderful. The bread 'bowl' has the right 'French crisp' that combines perfectly with the melted cheese inside. This one is highly recommended.

The main courses were delicious. The fillet steak was very soft, and the 'Zurich geschnetzeltes' were as good as one ones you can find in Zurich (though the rosti was slightly smaller than what I would consider an ideal size for the dish).

For dessert we had a tiramisu with some strawberry sauce. It was also very good.

The service was very good, but as I mentioned, the restaurant was almost empty (Sunday eve). The prices seemed fair and reasonable.

While the food and service were good, our visit at Lingo was further enhanced by our personable host.

Reviewed 7 April 2015

My wife and I went here yesterday for lunch. The food was excellent.

Before coming to the food, a few words about the restaurant itself. It is located in Ciro's Plaza, an office building just off Peoples Park. It is close to Shanghai Theatre and other attractions. Location-wise, it is good.

The restaurant is decorated in Bistrot style and allows for a casual dining experience. Service was friendly and also fast, even though, the restaurant was packed to the last table. I would not call the atmosphere here romantic or vibrant. It is really more a Chinese version of bistrot feeling.

But the food more than makes up for this. It was delicious and the main reason for giving the 5 points.

For starters, we had the signature cheese fondue. In fact, it is so signature that you could see it on each table in the restaurant. Understandably, because it is good. You will get a large, round bread filled with a generous filling of hot cheese. Alongside this, you will then get a set of tomatoes, meatballs and roasted potatoes to put into the cheese. You can also order additional items for dipping. The meatballs and potatoes were very well seasoned and actually also tasted well without the cheese. On a downside: Since the cheese is served in a bread and not in a bowl that can be kept hot, it thinkens and cools quite fast.

Our second starter was the homemade tuna spread which was fresh and tasty.

Now the 2 mains. My wife had the seafood pasta. She liked it a lot. The pasta was made with octopus ink and it came with a lot of different seafood and with a delicate saffron sauce. The sauce was light and tasty without being overwhelming.

My main was the pan-fried Cod with 2 croques of mashed potatoes and vegetables. I can only say that this also tasted excellent.

Already half-way through the mains, we were both feeling rather full. But since everything had been delicious that far, we decided to order a Chocolate Fondant Lava Cake for desert. The chocolate was rich and creamy and went very well with the vanilla icecream served along with it. a greate finale to a good meal.

We will be back...
...soon

Reviewed 18 February 2015

I've been to Lingo a few times. It's been a while, I have to go back soon.
The restaurant is cozy and relaxed. Sometimes I go alone or with a friend. We usually have friendly and efficient service. I order a cheese fondue. It is decadent and takes you to heaven and back. So far, I've tried the steak, the soups and different desserts. I like it all, but really recommend the cheese fondue.

There's a lot of restaurant in Shanghai, but I like to go back to this one. I love French food for it's quality and creativity. I'm never disappointed when I go to Lingo. So far, they have kept a high standard each time I've went there. I really don't mind paying more for quality food !

Thanks Ciro's ~.~