See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed at deluxe room with window. The room is good but air condition doesn't cold. The temperature outside was better. The location of this hotel is good for walking to the Bund and Nanjing road. Near hotel has convenient stores and some of restaurants. Anyway it's difficult to find a taxi in this area. Talking about service, I felt very disappointed with service here. The staff is unhelpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cutienoona
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed in the suite of this hotel for 6 nights during my 1 week visit to Shanghai and nearby cities. As the title says, this is basically an average hotel.

Upside:
- The only plus point of this hotel is the location. It's located just 3 mins walk to The Bund, 5 mins walk to the nearest entrance of East Nanjing Road subway station (Line 10 - Exit 6). <10 mins walk to East Nanjing Road. YuYuan Gardens & Bazaar are also close by and easily accessible by subway or even by walking (~25 mins walk).

Downside:
- The breakfast is just average with limited choices and barely rotates.
- The room has a little wet stench as soon as you enter and the wall has some mold stains (which should be contributed by the humidity in the room)
- Staffs weren't very friendly and not putting up smiling faces
- Wifi weren't always accessible and available in room even though it says fully covered for the entire hotel.

Neutral:
- Offers free rental for bicycles for 1st 2 hours (did not try this, hence cannot comment too much).
- Since it's a boutique hotel, the decoration brings back the feeling of the old Shanghai but it's not essential part of the stay.
- The room and hotel area are generally clean but since it's an old boutique hotel, you will expect certain places to be slightly dirtier.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lutlut7
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its location, directly on the Bund downtown and very close to the main Nanjing road. Especially for the rate paid, it's hard to find something similar with this location.

Of course, it is not a fancy hotel. The rooms are very basic with no windows and a small bathroom but if you are in Shanghai, you are hardly spending any time in your hotel room anyway.

The decor of the hotel is pretty nice, like art decor style with nice old pictures.

The service from the bellboys was friendly and helpful. The check in/out was just so so but I have experienced friendliness is a problem in Shanghai hotels in general.

If you look for a budget hotel in the center, a very good choice!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ilovetotravel649
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Manhanttan Bund Hotel is recommended for a short functional night stay. Located near to the bund and surrounding food stalls, it is around 10 mins walk to the nearest MRT Station.

Rooms, however, were designed in an off shape - circular beds with a mirror directly above the bed (which makes the property seem a tad dubious). The wifi signal wasn't too strong in certain areas of the room though.

Nonetheless, if you are looking for a functional hotel, this is it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fuschial
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I purchased two nights in this hotel while I was buying a flight on Expedia. The fare was tempting even considering that the Bund area is one of my favourite in Shanghai. Some evaluations should have warned me but still I decided to give these guys a chance.
I now suspect that for those who buy trough Expedia to a convenient price the Manhattan staff reserves a special treatment!
Infact, despite the hotel has a nice environment, with a sort of 'art deco' feeling, I was allocated in a strange room, with no windows, pervaded of a strange smell...like of mold.
No surprise then when I found mildew presence all along the walls and inside the sheets.
Beside this slight remark my stay was pleasant; for sure not worse if compared to many Bed & Breakfast that I experienced in my teens when visiting UK.
I have to thank all Manhattan Business hotel for letting me feel young again.
Now speaking of what really disappointed me, I didn't like the hostile behaviour of the guy who was at the reception when I checked in as well as the extremely poor quality of the morning breakfast: no butter and bad coffe probably made with municipal water which in Shanghai is not even barely drinkable.
Finally I think I may consider to come back to the Manhattan just in order to remind to myself that life is struggle and things can always be worse than the worst you may expect.

Room Tip: One thing for sure: do not allow them to put you in room no 8517
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business