“Excellent service.”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Don Ronald is just awesome in what he does. Those have been the best cocktails I’ve had. Well balanced and well priced. The food is also good but not the highlight. The atmosphere is private and chilled.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

We spend 2 weeks in Alajuela every December, and Monteleone is our favorite place in downtown. The food is always good, and the beer selection is outstanding. As with most Costa Rican restaurants and bars, Manhattans are hard to come by, but other drink selections are very good.

The real star, however, is Ronald. He takes real pride in his craft - everything from welcoming guests to taking their orders to making sure food is to satisfaction. I always top it off with an absinthe that Ronald attentively brings to your table on a tray with water, glass with ice, sugar and a spoon, then he puts it all together with flash and a flame. A great nightcap. As for cost value, $50/couple for a few drinks and a good meal is a bargain by US standards.

No matter where I go in Costa Rica or the US, finding someone like Ronald who is a real service professional is rare and a treat. As with all travel experiences, when it comes to food I find it best to appreciate things for what they are, not for what they are not. Ronald and Monteleone bring a real treat to all of this.

1  Thank Brad O
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

After a fantastic meal elsewhere in alajuela, we came here per trip advisor recommendations. We were greeted by a very friendly, multilingual host/server/bartender who took us to our zebra print seats. He sold me on a local craft beer, which was very good and recommended the ribeye steak for me and the sea bass for my fiancé. We took his recommendations and waited for our meal as I enjoyed my beer.

Our food came out in a timely manner and was underwhelming on the plate. The ribeye was fine, just nothing special, and cooked with quite a bit of salt and butter. The sea bass was also fine, but covered in a buttery sauce that reminded us of hollandaise. In fairness, our friendly waiter did ask if we were okay with the sauce.

Our experience here was good, just not great. Full disclosure: we tend to gravitate toward very healthy, fresh food, which may be why we were less than impressed with this place. If you want a hearty, buttery, well marbled steak and a heavily sauced fish, you may like this place... it just didn’t quite do it for us.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Great service, very nice people. They take excellent care of their customers! The food was super fresh and delicious and definitly worth the price and the visit.
I can only recommend to have a relaxed dinner at Monteleone! I went to dinner on my own and with the enjoyable atmosphere I met super nice people after dinner.
Thank you again, it was a pleasure!

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

I have taken groups of tourists here several times for the fact that Ronald, the frequent server, is so wonderfully pleasant and attentive.

The food is great, big portions for good prices. I will definitely keep taking groups there.

He llevado varios grupos aquí por el hecho simple de que el servicio que ofrece Ronald es muy bueno. El es muy amigable y atento.
La comida es muy buena con porciones grandes por buen precio. Definitivamente pienso seguir trayendo grupos a Monteleone.

Muchas gracias Ronald!!