“ Night walk was EXCELLENT ”

Arenal Oasis Wildlife Refuge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience Arenal´s only wild frog sanctuary at night, when colorful tree frogs and other rainforest wildlife are most active and most easily observed. At least 28 frog species have made their home the ponds of Arenal Oasis. The Rojas Bonilla family carefully maintains native plants of Arenal, to create needed frog habitat in this private wildlife reserve of fresh spring water fed ponds; within a rainforest refuge connecting the rainforests of the Arenal Volcano and El Rio Burio. The night tour continues past the frog ponds along flat trails immersed in the noisy night rainforest. The guide will point out animals hiding from you. Support, enjoy and learn about the only wild frog sanctuary in the Arenal Volacano Area. Tours led by trained naturalist along flat rainforest trails start at 5:45pm at Arenal Oasis. Flashlights are provided and reservations are necessary. Included in the Tour: - Flashlights - Transportation Round Trip - Certified Naturalist Guide - Entrance Fee - Drinks What to Bring: - Camera - Closed Shoes - Long Pants - Raincoat - Confortable light Clothing - Big Smile
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

If you want a decent chance to see a red eyed tree frog, a bunch of other frog species and perhaps a snake or two DO THIS WALK!!
I took professional level pics of the red eyed frog and good pics of the 12 other species of frogs we saw on the walk. Handled one of the two small non-venomous snakes that was along side the trail.
This walk has a slight slope in the beginning but nothing major. Good gravel trail with the occasional rocks as stumps in it.
Very few mosquitos on the night I visited.
Best animal tour I had in my entire 2 week visit to CR.

All reviews
"night walk"
in 34 reviews
"night tour"
in 27 reviews
"frog tour"
in 11 reviews
"the red eyed tree frog"
in 9 reviews
"costa rica"
in 23 reviews
"wear bug spray"

Reviewed 9 March 2018

I only had coffee at the cafe and went on the night hike which was amazing! The guide was very knowledgeable and we saw lots of frogs.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

We loved this tour, and so far it's our kids favourite. It was raining a bit, but that actually made it better. We saw two species of snakes, tons of cool insects and spiders, and of course several species of frogs, including tree frogs. Our guide was amazing and was very patient for pictures taking and all the kids questions.
Wear shoes and long pants, and maybe even a sweater. Flashlights are provided.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

My 7 year old son was looking forward to the night frog tour, and it did not disappoint. Our tour guide Oscar was fantastic. He knew all the calls, and we were able to see two sleeping birds, as well as an owl, numerous frogs , a millipede, and two snakes. He was able to take good pictures with my cell phone for me. I’ve included some examples. Well worth the money.