“Unique Thermal Experience, Nice Rooms and Great Service!”

Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had a wonderful 3 nights at Tabacon Springs. I got to Tabacon Springs taking a Sansa flight from San Jose to La Fortuna (a very small airport near town) a 35 min flight for $70 o/w and took a $25 taxi cab to the hotel.
It is about a 20 min drive from the main town La Fortuna. The hotel is on the right side on the main road when you come from town, and the springs is a 3 min shuttle ride to the left.

I arrived to a nice lobby to a warm friendly welcome. The next day rented a car and had valet parking that was included, which was great. I would just call and anytime I needed it they brought it up fast.
The check in process was easy and had to wait for my room to be ready since I was an early arrival. I waited in the lobby and had a cocktail and the bar and seating area at the far side of the lobby. It is a comfortable place to sit and relax. The has an open area, with lush with trees, plants and grass.

Shuttles run to the thermal springs area about every 10 min.. that is where the main pool is, the springs, a restaurant, lockers & changing room, towels, gift shop, and spa.

Upon arrival I went to the restaurant by the thermal springs area, and had lunch there at the restaurant above the pool. I had the beef tenderloin, it was ok but not anything that great, which I expected from the reviews. This is where breakfast was served that was better - made to cook omelettes, waffles, pancakes, fruits, basically a good breakfast spread with many options.
I felt the restaurant was dated and just basic options with not the best location for dining. Some people would have dinner there there is a buffet and menu but I opted for other options to go to town or restaurants around. They did indicate it can be busy and said you should make reservations.

Looking back I should have jumped into some trunks gone to the swim up bar and ordered there and enjoyed the warm water of the pool which is like 90 degrees.

The highlight was the thermal springs, where you can sit in a pool of cascading pools, under waterfalls, or just enjoy the areas to relax. They are all amazing.. and hot thermal water cascading down multiple levels, pools and areas. I loved this experience and never experienced this anywhere in the world. Some areas had rocks that were a bit uncomfortable on the feet but I wore water shoes with rubber soles and no problems. Otherwise you could go bare foot but the rocks wont cut your feet but can be slippery or just be uncomfortable to the bottom of your feet. The springs are open to 10 and I would go to the top pools in the Shangri La (only hotel guests allowed) section with Cabanas, and hotter pools and just relax and chill out there. At night was really nice to have as the evening cools a bit and just more private.

Rooms were very nice, modern and clean and large. Beds were comfortable and nice sheets, and good air con. The bathroom was large and found that the water in the shower there had good pressure but not that hot.
They have water there in glass for drinking that they would fill, I tried it and it had a funny taste, they said it was filtered and purified, but I opted to other bottled water from the store that I got. There is a shower and tub in the suite with double sinks.

I opted for a spa treatment and this was really reasonable for the time and experience I had. The spa area has a very nice relaxation area, with a hot tub Jacuzzi, and outside treatment rooms. I had a honey oil massage which was so nice, perfect relaxing session with a hot shower outside afterwards that was just really great.

There is a concierge / activity desk that is really helpful for all / any activities like hanging bridges, waterfall, ATV, zipline what ever you may want to do. The girl there also gave great restaurants in town La Fortuna.

I had no problems with mosquitoes at the resort. But there was some bugs here and there but ya it is a canopy jungle so expected. There was mosquitoes at the hanging bridges so you never know but I recommend you bring bug spray.

Service was great throughout my stay and really this is mostly about the thermal springs and nice rooms.

I would say it is good for couples, friends and families. Maybe not with younger littler kids due to the springs and there was no real supervision or life guards there watching out for any problems.

It is definitely a place that will leave nice impression on you and create some unique lifetime memories.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank surfcali
Community M, Manager at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello surfcali,

Thank you for sharing your detail experience about your visit to Tabacon. We are glad to read you had a 5 star visit and that you enjoyed our all our facilities and services. Just as you mentioned, our thermal pools are located in the middle of a naturally flowing thermal river that come directly from the Arenal Volcano. The bottom of our thermal pools is covered by rocks and volcanic sand, for this reason we always recommend our visitors to use special footwear for water. On the other hand, we are sorry to read we didn't exceed your expectations regarding to our Food and Beverage service from our dinner buffet however we appreciate your review as it allows us to know in detail your experience and work on improving our services day by day. At the same time, it's great to read you visit our spa and had a relaxing treatment inside one of our open air bungalows located in the middle of the rainforest and surrounded by the rainforest lush where the sounds of nature will make each experience an unforgettable one. We appreciate your detail review and hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.

Marcel Stittner

Write a ReviewReviews (3,586)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed two nights at Tabacon while visiting Costa Rica. It was a wonderful experience from start to finish. Absolutely loved the hot springs in the rain! So much more fun than when we went back the next day in the hot afternoon. The breakfast was very good and staff was great as well. I would stay again if we are ever in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Hello hereinoregon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Tabacon. We are glad to read you had a 5 star visit and that you had a wonderful experience from start to finish. At the same time, it's great to read you absolutely loved our hot springs in the rain. It's wonderful to know you enjoyed all our facilities and services and that you consider to visit us again. We appreciate your review and hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I only booked a day spa at the resort but after arriving I realized we should have been there the whole time. It was beautiful! The Tabacon massage was excellent! The food was delicious and we stayed one night in a spectacular room. And it’s close to the Arenal Volcano so the view is amazingly!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Community M, General Manager at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Jacqueline,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Tabacon. We are glad to read you had a 5 star visit and that you stayed one night with us. It's great to read you had a great experience at that you enjoyed all our facilities and services. We appreciate your wonderful review and hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for an anniversary and from the start of the visit the service was impeccable. The reception staff were efficient and friendly. The reservation policy is horrible. We booked through The leading hotels and their cost was 415 dollars for a honey moon suite. Online the resort was discounting it to 325 dollars a day. The resort would not honor the online price. Our travel agent had it changed but we were placed in the orchid rooms for 315. The rooms were very nice and brand new so it was fine but bad policy with the hotel undercutting the agents. The hot springs were refreshing and as advertised. From the robes to the showers and the upkeep was excellent. Transportation to and from the resort to the hot springs was efficient. Hose keeping as well as all the staff were very accommodating and helpful.
The food was bland but the mixed drinks excellent. Wine was iffy. We ate ala carte daily but were disappointed based on the other level of excellence. The food in town is superior but it is 20 min to and fro. The concierge is very helpful. I would definitely stay but book dinner else where.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Yes!!!! This place is my “paradise” on hearth!!! One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, there are not enough words to describe it, I just hope the pics can show you the beauty.

We enjoyed each of all the waterfalls, the natural and non natural pools down the river, the colors, the sounds and the aromas of this treasure. It was a full senses therapy!!! The peacefulness you can experience in this hot Springs is just amazing.

The visit to Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa was part of a full day trip to the Arenal volcano we booked on line. Quite a long drive (almost 4 hours, each way) however DO IT !!!!

After almost 3 hours of water joy, we changed and got ready for the dinner; also at Tabacon, another great experience. Very well prepared food, lots of options and delicacies.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Community M, Gerente at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Adriana,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experince at Tabacon with us. We are glad to read you enjoyed each of all the waterfalls, ponds and pools of our property each of them directly heated by the Arenal volcano. It's great to know you had a full senses teraphy during your visit as well as to know you enjoyed our facilities and services, it's also wonderful to read you consider our Ave del Paraíso buffet dinner another great experience of your visit with lots of options and delicacies. We appreciate your detail review and hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.6 km away
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#5 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
6.2 km away
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
#10 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!