I had a wonderful 3 nights at Tabacon Springs. I got to Tabacon Springs taking a Sansa flight from San Jose to La Fortuna (a very small airport near town) a 35 min flight for $70 o/w and took a $25 taxi cab to the hotel.
It is about a 20 min drive from the main town La Fortuna. The hotel is on the right side on the main road when you come from town, and the springs is a 3 min shuttle ride to the left.
I arrived to a nice lobby to a warm friendly welcome. The next day rented a car and had valet parking that was included, which was great. I would just call and anytime I needed it they brought it up fast.
The check in process was easy and had to wait for my room to be ready since I was an early arrival. I waited in the lobby and had a cocktail and the bar and seating area at the far side of the lobby. It is a comfortable place to sit and relax. The has an open area, with lush with trees, plants and grass.
Shuttles run to the thermal springs area about every 10 min.. that is where the main pool is, the springs, a restaurant, lockers & changing room, towels, gift shop, and spa.
Upon arrival I went to the restaurant by the thermal springs area, and had lunch there at the restaurant above the pool. I had the beef tenderloin, it was ok but not anything that great, which I expected from the reviews. This is where breakfast was served that was better - made to cook omelettes, waffles, pancakes, fruits, basically a good breakfast spread with many options.
I felt the restaurant was dated and just basic options with not the best location for dining. Some people would have dinner there there is a buffet and menu but I opted for other options to go to town or restaurants around. They did indicate it can be busy and said you should make reservations.
Looking back I should have jumped into some trunks gone to the swim up bar and ordered there and enjoyed the warm water of the pool which is like 90 degrees.
The highlight was the thermal springs, where you can sit in a pool of cascading pools, under waterfalls, or just enjoy the areas to relax. They are all amazing.. and hot thermal water cascading down multiple levels, pools and areas. I loved this experience and never experienced this anywhere in the world. Some areas had rocks that were a bit uncomfortable on the feet but I wore water shoes with rubber soles and no problems. Otherwise you could go bare foot but the rocks wont cut your feet but can be slippery or just be uncomfortable to the bottom of your feet. The springs are open to 10 and I would go to the top pools in the Shangri La (only hotel guests allowed) section with Cabanas, and hotter pools and just relax and chill out there. At night was really nice to have as the evening cools a bit and just more private.
Rooms were very nice, modern and clean and large. Beds were comfortable and nice sheets, and good air con. The bathroom was large and found that the water in the shower there had good pressure but not that hot.
They have water there in glass for drinking that they would fill, I tried it and it had a funny taste, they said it was filtered and purified, but I opted to other bottled water from the store that I got. There is a shower and tub in the suite with double sinks.
I opted for a spa treatment and this was really reasonable for the time and experience I had. The spa area has a very nice relaxation area, with a hot tub Jacuzzi, and outside treatment rooms. I had a honey oil massage which was so nice, perfect relaxing session with a hot shower outside afterwards that was just really great.
There is a concierge / activity desk that is really helpful for all / any activities like hanging bridges, waterfall, ATV, zipline what ever you may want to do. The girl there also gave great restaurants in town La Fortuna.
I had no problems with mosquitoes at the resort. But there was some bugs here and there but ya it is a canopy jungle so expected. There was mosquitoes at the hanging bridges so you never know but I recommend you bring bug spray.
Service was great throughout my stay and really this is mostly about the thermal springs and nice rooms.
I would say it is good for couples, friends and families. Maybe not with younger littler kids due to the springs and there was no real supervision or life guards there watching out for any problems.
It is definitely a place that will leave nice impression on you and create some unique lifetime memories.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs