“Are there two Tabacons, because my experience was BEAUTIFUL!”

Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 April 2010

It truly hurts my heart to read some of the negative reviews about Tabacon because I had a WONDERFUL time! I knew going in that the room would be expensive, especially considering I traveled to Costa Rica alone and didn't have someone with whom I could split the bill. I booked a Standard room and chose to upgrade for only $25 more to the Standard Superior. It was the best decision I made. The room was not only spacious, there was a mosaic-tiled Jacuzzi and a small outdoor patio with two chairs and little table. Let me give this advice: opting for a Volcano View IS A WASTE OF MONEY! Keep in mind that the peak of Arenal Volcano is almost always socked in by clouds and the constant rain and humidity almost ensures you'll rarely get a chance to see it. And if I'm being honest, I never sat outside my room and could have cared less about seeing the volcano.

The king-sized bed had a featherbed on top and my sleep was very restful. The room included a flat screen TV with a DVD player. I never saw nor experienced bugs but I agree that at first I never got hot water in my shower. The person at the front desk informed me that the hot water comes from the springs and sometimes you need to let it run for about five minutes until the hot water starts flowing. Not ideal for if you're in a hurry, but I had no problems after waiting a while. Regarding Wi-Fi, I intended for this to be a vacation and never once felt the need to get online so the additional fee never affected me. I found the staff to be courteous; they allowed me to borrow one of the yoga mats from the fitness room and use it in my room to complete a fitness DVD and when I asked if I could check out at 1pm there was no problem. I had my entire trip planned down to the day three months prior, so there was no need to ask the concierge for recommendations. I try to avoid asking them for their help because most often they refer you to operators they have a relationship with - which doesn't always translate into value or being the best in the area. I would recommend you review a Frommer's guide which gives an unbiased opinion on what is in the area and how much it costs. Los Tucanes restaurant is a little overpriced and the food isn't that spectacular, but when I went into La Fortuna one night with a couple I met on the trip (to Don Rufinos), they paid $15 driving in and I paid $11 to return. I figured it wasn't worth the additional $25-30 to go out of my way.

My most memorable experience would definitely be the hot springs. I had planned all day excursions and it was wonderful for the evenings. It can get very steamy in the hot springs and it's like sitting in a wet sauna - meaning I could only take it for about 10-15 minutes. The chlorinated pool is warm and I loved the small waterslide and swim-up bar. Please make sure you budget for at least ONE spa session; it's a shame to read reviews of people who flew all the way to Costa Rica and couldn't splurge on a $135 treatment. Massages are done outdoors under cabanas and the sound of falling water is as relaxing as can be. I tried the Thai massage (loved it!) and the Volcanic Mud Wrap. That's definitely my recommendation; they use warm mud from Arenal Volcano and you rinse off in your own private pool of the hot springs. Unfortunately the water wasn't warm when I was there, but I plan to do that treatment again on my next trip. Overall, I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank appetite4trvl
Write a ReviewReviews (3,640)

Reviewed 31 March 2010

This resort is AMAZING! The Hot Spring are breathtaking! The buffet was incrediable. Really enjoyed our stay here. We wish we would have stayed at this place longer!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We're pretty avid travelers and have been around the world. We also used to the nicer things in life. We got to Tabacon early in the morning, checked in, and decided to hit the hot springs for the day. Absolutely amazing -- I will upload some pics when I download them.

We ate in the restaurant, Los Tucanes for dinner. Dinner was overly expensive, however the food was excellent. I wish the resort had an option to dine for a bit less. Dinner wound up costing us around $120 abd we didn't even drink a lot!

The real surprise didn't happen until that night. My husband woke up really early in the morning with bites all over his body. We did a bit of exploration and we found bed bugs. We pulled the bed away from the wall and there they all were. And there were TONS of them.

The worst part -- we called down and the staff denied these were bed bugs and said: "this is a rainforest, we get all kinds of bugs here."

Not only were they terribly rude to us, but they wouldn't refund our money.

What a horrible place and a horrible vacation.

I would not recommend Tabacon resort to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank hagersammy
Reviewed 26 March 2010

In a nutshell, I have to say that overall we enjoyed our time at Tabacon. My opinion of this resort is that they are relying way too much on the natural hot springs for their 5-star rating.

With that said, The hot springs are incredible! There are many many pools that you can get into all up the mountainside with the very top having a great view of the Arenal volcano on a clear day. The water feels great and the spa service was very relaxing, although expensive ( but what spa isn't?).

This leads me to the hotel... The hotel has a 5-star rating and although in our experience it was very clean and the rooms were't lacking, I was disappointed with the overall experience in relation to the money we spent to stay there. My wife and I were visiting on our honeymoon and one of the reasons we chose Tabacon, besides the hot springs, was because it was a 5-star hotel. The room rates were a bit steep but we were prepared to splurge a bit because we were celebrating! Once we arrived, our room wasn't to be ready for another 2 hours so the gentleman at the front desk offered to have our luggage looked after and told us we could go explore the hot springs and have some lunch if we'd like. He even offered to let us change into our bathing suits so we could enjoy the springs. We decided that we would just walk down and do some exploring and have lunch, saving the hot springs for later that evening after we'd settled in and had some dinner. The area where the springs are is just a quick little walk down the hill, no more than 5 mins (the hotel will drive you in a shuttle and pick you up if you request). After we explored and took some photos we went into the restaurant for some lunch and this is when the sticker shock began. ... My wife and I each ordered a sandwich, nothing fancy (I had a hamburger and fries) and some water, the bill was $50. Unbelievable. You have to be aware if visiting that all the prices on the menu at the restaurant and the buffet include a 13% tax PLUS a 10% service charge. Remember when I said we were prepared to splurge, we were, so this wasn't anything we were too upset about at first. When we finally got to the room, it turned out to be nothing special at all. A bed, a TV with cable, a mini-bar w/ $6 cans of Coke, and a bathroom. The resort offered 24hr room service which is convenient but expensive and not that fantastic.

If you remove the hot springs, and rate this hotel on value by itself, it's not worth the money. I've stayed in many 3-star hotels that were nicer than this one.

The down side to Tabacon is, once you're over the beauty and experience of sitting in the hot springs (and it really only takes 2 or 3 trips down there before it's not exciting anymore) there isn't anything else to do at the resort unless you're getting spa treatments.

There are many tours available in the area and I recommend booking some tours through Costa Rica Wonderland. They offer a lot of different activities! If you like wildlife, there is a river tour that begins just 2 miles south of Nicaragua in Los Chiles, or zip-line through the jungle, check out the La Fortuna Waterfall but be prepared to climb your way back up! There is also a hike to the base of the volcano where you can see/hear it erupting all the time. We also loved the hanging bridges tour! Ask for Jairo (pronounced Hy-Doh) at Costa Rica Wonderland, he's an excellent tour guide and speaks very good english, and he's very knowledgeable!

If you're considering Tabacon, I would recommend staying at a different resort in Arenal and making a day trip to the Tabaon Hot Springs. Paying the day-time entry fee (I think $65) just one time is well worth avoiding all the extra costs for a mediocre hotel room and outrageously priced food an drinks just for the unlimited access to the hot spring. After all, you can probably get a mediocre hotel room for much less at another location!

Don't get me wrong, Tabacon is a nice hotel and we had a decent experience there, it's just not a good value for the money. You pay way too much for what you get, and then you pay some more.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 00WaWa
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Arenal is such a great place to stay for a few days! Tabacon is beautiful although it is a little expensive. The restaurant too was a bit pricey too, but luckily there are some great options a few miles down the road. Also, admission to the spa is included in the hotel price so definitely take advantage of the springs as for as long as you can!

We also did the temazcal at the spa, which is kinda like an indigenous sauna which was great right after New Year because it's a form of spiritual rebirth. Very interesting experience - I would definitely go back and do it all again!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.6 km away
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Manoa Hotel
#11 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.6 km away
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort &...
#24 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!