4 people are viewing this hotel
US$157
Free cancellation until 01/02/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
US$136
PricelineUS$176
eDreamsUS$157
Orbitz.comUS$135
2,013 results
All reviews water slides swim up bar hot springs arenal volcano butterfly house costa rica hot pools zip lining horseback riding breakfast buffet spring pools no wifi in the rooms beautiful grounds standard room shuttle butterflies hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 October 2021 via mobile

Very mixed feelings about this place. While the grounds are absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed our stay here there were a few things that just didn’t feel right.

-First of is the service. Among the worst we had during our 17 day trip in Costa Rica. Just overall not very service minded staff. Didn’t feel welcome and every time we interacted with a staff member we really felt like we were bothering them. See below for a more detailed example of their service and attitude.

-The food is not great. Breakfast buffet was fine and they had taken great measures to make it safe during Covid. Lunch and dinner however is just not worth getting at this place. We had dinner the first night and then never again. Bland and overpriced and terrible service. If possible, please go and enjoy some of the amazing restaurants La Fortuna have to offer instead!

-The rooms feel very dated. We also got a room at the very top of the hill and it was not fun having to walk uphill from the pools or breakfast everyday. They should offer golf carts or something for the people staying on the hill. We had WiFi in our room and it was clean. We did however have an ant problem and our room flooded a bit during massive rains.

-Didn’t try any of the activities or spa treatments since we found them way overpriced. The pools however are very nice and we saw them clean them daily.

Overall it feels like this place could be amazing, but they’re too lazy to try to get it to that. They just hope that their beautiful grounds will make up for the rest.

Now if you’ve made it this far, here’s an example of an incident we had that could have been handled better by the staff:

So our room required that we place one of our room keys into a little thing by the door to be able to get power for the AC. We placed it there when we first checked in and then never took it out. We had our other room key and made a very big deal out of making sure we had it every time we left the room since the other one was “stuck” powering the AC. One day we got back from being away from the resort for a few hours. We’re pleased to find our room cleaned but noticed that the AC is turned off. This is when we notice the room key is missing from its holder by the door.

At first we think we must have accidentally brought it so we search our pockets and backpack, but we’re at the same time very sure we never removed it and that we left the AC running when we left. Now we really didn’t wanna be the people accusing the cleaning person to have stolen our key, but we knew it was there when we left the room and that the room got cleaned while we were away.

We call the front desk to ask them if maybe the cleaning person accidentally took it from our room. They ask us to hold and we hold for 15 minutes until my fiancé gives up and goes down to the reception instead. The response he gets is that we must have lost it and we have to pay for a new one. No effort to look into it, not even a nice attitude, nothing. Now I’m sure they get all kinds of excuses for lost room keys, but they could at least try to be nice while explaining that we have to pay for it.

This was overall the attitude of the service here. “Not my problem” , “pay extra for this” and “we can’t help you”

Room tip: Don’t set your expectations too high
Date of stay: September 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2021 via mobile

My family of 11 people had a great time in Los Lagos! We had three separate "superior rooms". I liked that they were actually free standing cottages, allowing for lots of privacy. The hot springs were clean, relaxing and not too crowded, especially in the morning or after dark. The buffet breakfast was really good, with gallo pinto, sweet plantains, cassava pie, pastries, pancakes and this yogurt drink we all obsessed over. I would call it above par for a hotel continental breakfast. The swim up bar was a great spot to hang out, but the food wasn't too exciting. A few of us got the back massage treatment at the spa. I recommend trying at least one of the treatments during a stay. The rooms are partially open air, letting you take in the sounds of nature, and you get to relax in a private room with tea afterwards. The 40 minute back massage was a little under $60 per person and they were very punctual.

Our favorite thing about Los Lagos by far was the horseback riding tour. There is a barn on the property where you leave from and take a trip through the jungle to an observatory that shows a beautiful view of the Arenal volcano. Our guide was Danny, who I highly recommend. He was incredibly friendly, funny and skilled at controlling the horses. The ride up was tricky but the horses were very calm and knew what they were doing. We were bruised and sore after the ride, and a few of the more nervous folks were a little scared, so that is something to keep in mind. However, I felt very safe and we all had a great time by the end. The tour lasted about 2.5 hours and we left at 8am. If you go doing rainy season, I suggest going early to avoid the rain.

I took one star off because one of our rooms lacked hot water, which we brought up to the front desk and was never resolved. We were too busy to follow up, so I consider that partially our fault. Also, another room had a sulfurous smell, but again I don't think that was brought to the attention of the front desk. Overall the rooms were well kept, if simple.

Room tip: If you want to get a good view of the volcano, you have to wake up early. Don't eat at the restaurant, there are plenty of tastier and cheaper spots 5min down the road.
Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sonni B
Reviewed 17 August 2021

The rooms were dark and dated. The deck, however was spacious and kept us out of the rain so we could enjoy the beautiful plants and surrounding beauty. We were out at tours during the day - the breakfast buffet was good - the variety did not change much but everything was tasty.

Horseback riding - was an exercise in controlled chaos - imagine 20 people who had no idea what they were doing on a horse, and 20 horses who were trying to finish a marathon up-and-downhill race as fast as possible - with narrow pathways and rocks and gravel. It was not for the faint of heart - but it was our first day - and by god we were going to conquer our first activity. This was one of the most challenging activities we completed - do not do this if you are looking for a relaxing horseback riding experience. It is NOT for anyone under 12 - ever.

The only real negative about this resort was the "Mean Towel Lady", as I began to refer to her. No matter when I went to get a towel with my room towel card - she was not behind the counter. And if I went calling her, she would not respond, but she would come around the corner and ignore me and the other people waiting. She would get on her phone and/or engage in a conversation with another hotel employee and ignore us until one of us approached her and asked if she was working, and she would act surprised and reply - "oh, si!"

Date of stay: July 2021
1  Thank jackiesV1868KJ
Reviewed 1 August 2021

My family and I stayed at Los Lagos for 3 nights in May. The highlight of this place is the thermal pools. One of them has a swim up bar where you can order great mixed drinks and food. There is another pool with a water slide that is much colder. The waterslide is not for small children. It's geared for teenagers and adults. One you let yourself go at the start, there's no stopping. It's a really fun ride down to the bottom! There is also a small one for children at the other cold pool. The resort looked like it had a couple of other slides at one time, but they've been filled in with plants. a couple great hot tubs in the thermal pools too. Great for relaxing and never crowded.
The restaurant has a really good breakfast buffet and is very popular. Much quieter in the evenings for dinner. La Fortuna is close by and an easy drive with a car. Reading the reviews, I was concerned about not having wifi in the rooms so I chose the basic room closer to everything and wifi worked just fine. The rooms are the only ding I would give to the resort as they are small and kind of dated, but they worked out well for us. The price of the resort is a really good value and I would not have a problem staying here again in the future.

Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank 302jacem
Reviewed 30 July 2021 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights here. Pros: The grounds are well kept, lovely spas and pools, full restaurant. The location is excellent, close to all major activities in Arenal. The staff was very helpful!! English and Spanish spoken, daily maid service, very attentive. Rooms are good sized and set up like small cabins so you only have one neighbor. Plenty of parking.

Cons: in our room there was no fan in the bathroom-one shower and the room was muggy all day. There’s minimal furniture. No table, no chairs, just the beds. It was rainy one day and nothing could dry out because no air circulates in the room.

Date of stay: July 2021