“Family Vacation 2018”

Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

I've went to this resort on New Year's Day and stayed for 2 nights. I loved the view of the volcano. Although it clouded alot of it. The room looked nice. I would prefer like a queen size bed and 1 full size bed in the room. The resort offered wi-fi in the lobby and in the wi-fi room. I think it's better to add wifi in the rooms as well. The A/C worked fine. The Hot Springs Pool was very nice. The restaurant looked presentable. They didn't had a variety of breakfast foods. The food was good to be honest. Great service.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed 8 January 2018

The view of the volcano is fantastic (though often clouded), and the warm pools are very nice. There are a few things that let this place down, though. I didn't see any smoke detectors in the rooms; that's really just unacceptable. The restaurant is *incredibly* loud. There's no acoustic dampening, and the sound of the chairs scraping on the floor (whenever someone sits down or gets up) is unbearable. (It would be so easy to fix: get some big sheets of felt pads and spend a couple of hours installing on the bottom of the legs.)

These are small and inexpensive fixes. They would help enormously, and guests could then have better enjoyment of the wonderful location and very pleasant warm-water pools.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2018

So we stayed in 2 "superior" rooms. Perhaps there are nicer rooms, but our experience (for the price) was definitely ... meh. Mildew smell, bathroom door designed not to open the whole way - the actual cabin was mediocre at best - the facilities in general (spa, etc) were kind of run down, badly designed and not what you expect from traveling in other places. My husband was here before and said that it's all worth it when you can see the volcano and its right BAM in your face. In December, the cloud cover is so dense that you can't see it at all, so the big advantage wasn't there. The blankets in our room smelled disgusting and there is no wifi to speak of (they say there is, but it was only in restaurant and no one in our party could get any signal) - not that you're there for wifi, but it helps.

Food was decent - good breakfast, menu choices for dinner were ok - some dishes had no taste, some were really good.

Another thing - the "jacuzzi" and hot springs were mostly cold and tepid. One pool was hot. Beds were hard as a rock, so if you like that, you're good (I didn't)

As for "eco" - (which happens to be my field)...I have some serious reservations. The ecological footprint of that campus is hardly the best ecological choice, but I'm sure most travelers don't care about that. I think this place is perfect for young people traveling and backpacking around - we were a family and we had come from one of those all-inclusives so we definitely felt the step down in quality (again, this is relative to what it cost - if it were a lot cheaper, I would not be complaining).

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Had a great experience at this hotel. The people at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. Rudy Hema, a friendly gentleman at the front desk, went out of his way multiple times to accommodate us for dinner reservations and transportation off of the resort. Good location to access excursions off of the resort. The free breakfast buffet was excellent and the dinner service and menu was also reasonable and very good. The bungalow suite which we stayed at was outdated, but for the price, this is what I would have expected. Overall we had a great stay at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone who does not need to stay at a 5 star resort hotel.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Montaña de Fuego Resort and Spa

I just checked in yesterday and had a wonderful check in experience. The front desk staff was very friendly, they already prepared a packet with my name on it. Very organized. I was impressed. I was also informed that I received a perk because I was Expedia VIP. That was a very good start.
After unpacking, I decided to check out the spa and the hot mineral pools. One of the reasons I booked at the hotel is they have hot mineral pools available for the guests.
To my surprise, the mineral pool I was going to get into was surrounded by a lot of dirty, muddy backpackers. The owners of the backpacks were in the water. I don’t know how clean they might have been when they got into the mineral water, but their backpacks and the clothing put back on were filthy dirty with mud. There were about 20 of them, enough to fill the small mineral pool. So, I decided to check out the spa. The Jacuzzi at the entrance of the spa looked inviting. No sooner did I think about getting into it than 13 of the backpackers jumped in and we’re shoulder to shoulder. They have bright yellow wristbands which apparently a day pass. I asked about at the front desk, and I was told that they came in on a day pass for $17. I am staying three nights which cost over $700..... I do not think I should have to share the mineral pool with a bunch of dirty backpacker bodies, or be completely excluded from the spa Jacuzzi because it is COMPLETELY FULL of bodies with the bright yellow wristband indicating day pass.
I am staying over New Year’s weekend at inflated prices. I don’t think the owner and management need to get so greedy by allowing a big group of backpackers come in and crowd the paying residence out of the facilities. I would recommend going to another establishment that doesn’t encourage backpackers to come in just to make a few extra bucks. Management should have more appreciation and respect for the residents that have paid their inflated holiday rates.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends