One of the main reasons for visiting the area is to see the Arenal volcano. We were there for a week, and only saw the top of the volcano a couple of times. Clouds tend to catch on the top of the volcano, limiting the view. When we were at the beach, there were day tours to the Arenal volcano, but it’s a lot of driving to maybe not see something, so I would advise coming to the area for at least a few days instead of the day tours.
This resort is pretty much self-contained. Our rate had breakfast included, but I think you can also get room rates without breakfast. The breakfast was in the main restaurant area by the pool and it was a pretty large buffet with many things the same, but a few things different each day. There was also an omelette bar if you wanted that, but it can be busy so you might have to wait a little. The rooms are mostly single story spread out over the well-kept grounds. A small creek/river runs through the property and you can walk trails around the property. They have lots of signs with the names of the various types of trees. They have a large main pool in the center of the property, and several hot pools close by. The temperature of the hot pools vary so you can pick out the temperature that agrees with you. Waiters from the main restaurant and bar area watch over the pools and it is pretty easy to flag them down to get a drink or appetizer. Drinks are served in plastic stemware so you can have them in the pool. Happy hour (2 for 1) is just before dinner time. There is another swim-up bar away from the main restaurant, and you can also get appetizers there. There is also a late evening happy hour at the bar near the hotel entrance where they have billiards and other bar games. One highlight of the stay was the towel animals that the housekeepers did each day. We were there for a week and there was a different animal each time (e.g., birds, frogs, lady bug, centipede).
Once you get outside the property, you are right on the main highway to Fortuna. If you don’t have a car, you can get a taxi to town (for $10 I think). The town is probably too far to walk to and not really that safe on the highway. The very next road goes to other hotel properties and a nature reserve. The road isn’t too busy, so it’s OK for a walk and the nature reserve is worth a visit. If you want to go on any tours, the front desk can help you with that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At VOLCANO LODGE AND SPRINGS, located in La Palma, La Fortuna de San Carlos, at the foot of the majestic Arenal Volcano, our hot springs and lush tropical garden gives you joy and relaxation to our guests and companions. Undoubtedly, our location allows you to witness the imposing Arenal Volcano from a vantage point. QUALITY SERVICE: Knowing that service is the main reason of hospitality, the Volcano Lodge & Gardens’ team, will do our best to make your stay a very fond memory to take home. FACILITIES: All our 66 rooms are Superior and non smoking, have deluxe finishes, 2 comfortable full size beds or 1 king size bed, TV/cable, telephone, air-conditioned, coffee maker, hot water shower, hairdryer and a nice terrace facing the Volcano. We also offer 4 rooms for handicap. RESTAURANT:Sura Restaurant, capacity: 120 people, we’ll be offering you our traditional local and international food, while you enjoy the majestic view of the volcano, birds surrounded nature. You can ask for room service too. OTHER FACILITIES: *Two swimming pools for adults, two swimming pools for children and two Jacuzzis, all of them with view to the Volcano.*Laundry service, Private parking, Internet Access / Wireless Free, Tours information, nature trail, Playground.* Massages Service from 9 am to 9 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Volcano Lodge & Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano Lodge And Gardens
- Volcano Lodge & Gardens Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Volcano Hotel