Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$332
Hotel Arenal Montechiari(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$88
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$99
US$95
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$114/night.

Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$109
US$77
Hotels.com
US$78
US$76
  • Breakfast included
Brisas Arenal Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$88
US$85
Allamanda Rooms(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
US$25
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$390
Nayara Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$563
1,411 results
All reviewshot tub in the roomhot springscosta ricaday bedfloor to ceiling windowsrooms are hugemud maskamazing viewsbeautiful groundswelcome drinkour honeymoonpool sideamazing hoteltravel agentrainy seasonunobstructed viewtwo queen beds
Reviewed 18 November 2006

This place is very beautiful. We stayed in a suite and had the most awesome view of the volcano. It was clear a few days and we saw the lava flow almost every night. This place definately has the best and closest volcano view. Maybe I'll add some pics later. Anyway, it was very clean and the landscaping was absolutely amazing. We tried the food and it was very good. The staff was also very helpful! It might be a bit pricey but we found it to be worth it.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SpikerFamily
Reviewed 13 October 2006

WOW! is the only word I can describe about this property. When you check in you are offered beer, wine or any other drink (and the wine and beer are both amazing).

The hotel is by far the closest to the volcanic activity of any other hotel in La Fortuna area. Don't be fooled by others who say they had awesome views (they obviously didn't stay at Kioro).

We checked out the views of several other hotels including the views from Tabacon Hot Springs and there was nothing even close.

The hotel sits directly in the path and directly in front of the entire mountain with no obstructions at all. (God help you if there is a gigantic eruption though!!!!)

While many other hotels could only see the far left or far right side of the mountain, at Kioro you are afforded views of the entire front face, from left side to right side, with ZERO obstructions of any kind. There is not a hotel that is closer than Kioro.

We did not use the pools as it was a bit chilly and it did rain a bit. You could see the entire volcano only about 35% of the time, the rest is either partially covered in clouds or completely covered (when it's raining hard).

I took amazing photos at night and you can clearly see the hot fire boulders cascading down the volcano side. (Remember this is not lava but boulders spewing out the top which are on fire, they then break up into thousands of smaller pieces causing a huge fireworks show cascading down the entire mountain.....it looks like fire glitter at night as the rocks tumble down, simply beautiful and quite dramatic for anyone who has never seen volcanic activity....it's just different than the volcano in Hawaii)

The restaurant has the best service of any restaurant you will find in the area however the food was a bit bland. We were not impressed with the food in the La Fortuna area.

DO NOT BUY INTO THE DINNER BUFFET AT TABACON, SIMPLY HORRIBLE AND A WASTE OF YOUR MONEY, EAT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!

And if you arrive at Tabacon after 6:00pm, the price drops to $35 per person (normal price is $45 per person) Remember if you go after a hard rain the water hot spring temperatures will be cooler and not so hot)

Sky Trek has an amazing Canopy Tour nearby Kioro but it's not for the faint of heart. Canopy Tours in Costa Rica do not skim along the canopy tree tops but instead zoom you across huge and vast canyons with incredible views of the canopy below (I'm talking 600'-1000' in the air, very very high up). If you are afraid of heights even in the slightest, these tours will terrify you.....but go anyway as it's an adventure you will not experience anywhere else. Just don't expect to be casually sliding along taking photos of monkeys, as you're speeding along over 1000 feet in the air at about 45mph.....you've been warned...just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I would stick with breakfast at Kioro and have lunches and dinner somewhere else. Free shuttle from Kioro to Tabacon Hot Springs by calling the front desk as it's very close by.

The spa was amazing at Kioro, you should definitely try a treatment.

Howler monkeys howl in the distance near Kioro and parrots can be heard too.

OH, and the jacuzzi from inside the room with a wine glass in your hand, now that is how to view the volcano Costa Rican style.

Worth every penny we paid (the only hotel in Costa Rica that was better than this one is Gaia near Manuel Antonio).

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
8  Thank sfcafox
Reviewed 3 October 2006

I´ve just got back from my vacation, and I´ve spent 2 days in the Hotel Arenal Kioro this was in the late´s September, for me one of the best hotel in the area of La fortuna, a hotel with the best view of the fabulous Arenal Volcano in fact the very best view.

The hotel as I said before is the best in the area is certainly less crowded than tabacon, which is really closed to Kioro by the way. If you go to the arenal area you can not get any closer nor can you get a clearer and unobstructed view of the volcano which is about 900 mts away.

There is no advantage to be in any location so I would suggest being closer to the front desk rather than far away. The rooms are very big and very unique, every room has it´s own Jacuzzi, which is a lovely feature, you can even watch tv, drink a cup of wine and lie in the Jacuzzi and see the lava flow right down the mountain practically to your feet.

Breakfast can be serve in the room, which for us was really good, the food in the restaurant was good but expensive by any standards especially Costa Rica and does not justify the prices.

This is the rainy season in Costa Rica, but our stay was lovely, the only thing is just to plan your tours on a sunny afternoon and gave way to the rain.

The staff tries, but is not well train, one day I had to go to the front desk to get some information on the restaurant unfortunately Two lady’s (Erika and Blenda )that were there looked as if they did not want to worked because all the information I ask was answer in a very rude way, they just act as a regular day, the did not smile, they didn’t even said good afternoon, I didn´t like there attitude so I went back to my room and came later that day now there was a young men and he help me out and threaded me as a king, he invited me to sit down an offer me something to drink, he answer all my question that I had about the hotel and the restaurant.

The minibar was well taken care of, if we drink a soda the next day was replace and that was all we need just to have fun and relax.

We have already talk about going back to arenal kioro, but I´ve think is going to be in a while, maybe what it needs it’s a little more experience, But we really enjoy everything else other then the problem with the two lady’s. O and thanks to the young men that help me out ( am sorry I did not remember your name) I really appreciated but we will go back some day.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple