All reviews ceiling fan one night pretty courtyard costa rica courtyard area hot water airport backpackers country
Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

I was not impressed with my stay here.
I had booked a PRIVATE single with shared bathroom, on the website I booked with it clearly stated that breakfast was not included for dormitory room bookings. Upon arrival I asked about the free breakfast but was told that it didn't apply to me because I was staying in the hostel part as I had a shared bathroom, I tried saying that on my confirmation email it only states that breakfast is not included for dormitory rooms, no where does it say any rooms with shared bathroom doesn't get breakfast either. The guy was having none of it though, this definitely needs to be made clearer as I was obviously in a private room.
So as I had a shared bathroom my room was in the hostel part of the hotel, which was on the top floor and a complete change compared to the rest of the hotel. My room was very small, dark and dingy, with cracked walls and had a dirty look to it. After three months of travelling this was the worst room I'd stayed in, I'd stayed in much nicer dorm rooms previously.
The shared bathroom was awful and the shower stopped working while I was under it, not ideal when you have a head full of shampoo.
I'm sure the hotel rooms are lovely as they obviously care about that side of their business, the hostel side (including the single privates apparently) is clearly just to make whatever extra money they can out of poor conditions and unsuspecting travellers who are thinking they are getting something completely different.
Definitely wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
KatadeSanCarlos, Gerente at Hotel Liberia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

Hola Nicola,

We are sorry for this misunderstood, we just check the information on the website you booked our room and definately could be more clear. We have already asked to update this inmediately in order to avoid another inconvenience.

Neither the beds in shared dorms or the private dorm with share bathroom offer breakfast included in the rate. Breakfast options in our restaurante are many and are affordable (prices around $4 - $8).

Private dorm you had is the second budget option, but we are aware some improvement need to be done as soon as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, the opinion of our guests is always important in order to keep working hard everyday.

Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

Hotel Liberia is a clean, cozy hotel just a block or two to city center. My flight was cancelled due to bad weather and the friendly staff helped me out immensely with a late night run to the airport, making phone calls to help find my luggage and help me get to my next destination. The open air patio is a peaceful place to relax and eat. I highly recommend this hotel as a great budget option in Liberia.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2016

I stayed one night in Hotel Liberia before flying home. It was $25 US per night then and a very good deal. basic room but clean. Staff were warm and friendly and I felt safe as an older woman. The taxi for the airport was early and the hotel arranged that for me.
I am thinking of booking again in March when I return.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the back. Central Liberia, so traffic can be an issue but you can walk to all amenities and great restaurants.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2016

The staff was very friendly. We asked if we could leave our bags in a secure area prior to check in so we didn't have to take them to the beach, and they did this, On one night of our stay they had to move us to a different room, they said they would move everything for us while we were out if we liked. They did so with no problems. When we arrived at our new room, with in a few minutes the manager knocked and gave us each a beautiful sangria to say sorry for the inconvenience of moving. The food and drinks at the restaurant were very good we stayed 4 nights

Stayed: December 2015
Reviewed 5 October 2016

Stayed here the night before a morning flight out of Liberia. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, the restaurant food was surprisingly tasty, and their airport shuttle was on time. Courtyard was cute and the facility is nice and quaint despite its central location. Only downside is lack of A/C, but the room's ventilation was good.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends