Lowest prices for your stay
US$89
Hotels.com
US$89
FindHotel
US$60
TravelocityUS$89
Trip.comUS$114
Agoda.comUS$83
All reviews rip jack yoga retreat costa rica laid back upstairs restaurant pura vida amazing food beautiful beach surf lessons comfortable rooms great restaurant short walk rainy season perfect place can't wait to go back great surf live music
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 March 2021

The Ripjack Inn is a gem of a boutique property. It is spread out into smaller buildings each with character and has stone walkways winding around lush landscaping, hammocks various outdoor seating areas and 2 beautiful small pools. In the center is a glass yoga room with bamboo walls, another yoga studio is on the 2nd floor of one of the buildings. The walkways wind around to a second floor restaurant that is open for breakfast lunch and dinner with live music on the weekends. The food and drinks were the best we had on our Costa Rica trip. The staff is amazing, friendly and professional. Our room was a suite and had 2 king size beds side by side and another room with a kitchen like area and living room and a covered front porch. There is plenty of shade around the pool area as well. The entire property is clean, well maintained and well staffed. The beach is a very short walk down a sand path. We look forward our next visit!

Date of stay: March 2021
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Nubia Dominguez, General Manager at RipJack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2021

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, it is so helpful for travellers to hear from our guests. We look forward to seeing you again on a future visit!

Pura Vida,

Reviewed 7 January 2021

Our family of 6 stayed at Rip Jack over New Years and we had a fantastic time. This was our first time being in Playa Grande and it was great. It's far enough away from Tamarindo to be away from the crowds , but close enough to visit for the day if you have a rental car. The hotel is right on a great surf break and all you need to do is walk down the path and you are on the beach. We had a poolside suite, which was wonderful, and plenty of space for four people. The kitchenette is great! Our older kids stayed in room 5, which is under the kitchen, and came with a cute table and chairs and hammock outside. Everything we had at the restaurant was amazing, but the poke bowls were the star of the show in my opinion. I couldn't eat enough of them! The drinks were also great- especially the cucumber cooler with Titos. All the staff were friendly and warm and went out of their way to help with anything we needed. We loved all the dogs and the kids especially loved the cat that came to visit us daily. I can't wait to come back !

Room tip: The rooms under the kitchen can be a bit noisy.
Date of stay: December 2020
RipJack Inn, Owner at RipJack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2021

Hi Amy!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. You have done an amazing job capturing the essence of who we are and I agree with you, can't go wrong with the Tito's cucumber cooler! We look forward to your next visit!

Pura Vida,
Team RipJack

Reviewed 28 December 2020

Awesome!!!Great people. Best location in Playa Grande. Food was great as advertised. Quiet. The roads are greatly improved since my last visit. We enjoyed the pool. Parking was good. Such a amazing place to spend some time.

1  Thank jmaples2020
RipJack Inn, Owner at RipJack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2020

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! And yes, the new roads are a game changer! We are so happy to be able to reopen once again and share this beautiful spot with wonderful guests like you.

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 28 December 2020

I was traveling solo (unless you count my surfboard, haha) and this place checked every possible box for me. If you're looking for a party town this is not the place -- but I wanted to slow things down. Surfing, doing yoga and enjoying the beautiful beach was all I wanted and this was the perfect spot. The location is amazing, just a 30 second walk thru the beautiful tropical jungle to what is one of my favorite beaches anywhere in the world. The other huge benefit of the location is that you can stay at the Rip Jack without a rental car and have everything you need within a short walk. A few great restaurants (including the one at the hotel which has great food and awesome open-air vibes), surf shops, and a mini market are within a short walk. This is a huge bonus because rental cars in Costa Rica are prohibitively expensive, especially in peak season.

I've stayed in the Playa Grande area before but being at the Rip Jack is just a different experience. Even being 3 minutes drive from the beach is completely different than being able to walk out with your morning coffee and check the waves or do some stretching on the always uncrowded and gorgeous beach...and then hurry back to your room to grab your surfboard because the waves are almost always good at Grande.

The Rip Jack is a family run hotel and you can feel how much the staff and owners care about the place and their guests. They are amazing and really go out of their way to make the place great. The little touches like the locally made body wash and shampoo are awesome. The rooms are thoughtfully appointed with little things like lots of hooks to hang towels and bathing suits. Small things that go a long way for me. Also, they have a machine with filtered cold and hot water which is a big deal because I hate wasting money and putting more plastic in the world buying bottled water. I stayed for a week and by the end of it felt like I was part of the Playa Grande community in a way that I had not when I stayed nearby in a fancy rental house.

The rooms are simple and no frills but they have everything you need and the beds are comfortable -- I'm super picky about that on surf trips because surfing all day and coming home to a crappy mattress is a deal-breaker. I can't recommend this place higher. Come to Grande, stay at the Rip Jack, and experience the mellow vibe of real Costa Rica which is preserved in this little town just 20 minutes away from the hectic vibe of Tamarindo.

2  Thank DevonR_11

Thank you Devon! We absolutely love having you and are so excited you came back! You are officially part of the RipJack family and will always have a home away from home in Grande! I'm glad you can appreciate the tranquility and peace.

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 15 December 2020

We enjoyed our stay. The live entertainment was good. The only disappointment was when we arrived just after 4pm for Happy Hour the waiter listed 5 appetizers that were not available on the menu. Maybe The Pandemic had something to do with availability.

1  Thank James B
RipJack Inn, Owner at RipJack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2020

Hi James!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out. We apologize that some of the bocas were not yet available. You are correct, we have just brought back our full menu offering after having to be a very small version of ourselves for a while. This has been a challenging time for sure but we look forward to better days ahead!

Thank you again for your feedback and Pura Vida!