Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Easy fun surfing; great for a first timer

We booked this excursion through our travel agent before arriving in Costa Rica. They arranged... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
serraturtle
serraturtle
via mobile
Great Surf Lessons and kayak trip

Used Arenas Adventures for surf lessons one afternoon and kayaking on another day on June 2018... read more

Reviewed 13 September 2018
Alicia D
New Orleans, Louisiana

All reviews atv tour howler monkeys motorcycle rental dual sport needle fish parrot fish surf lessons star fish great surfing costa rican vacation rent surfboards pura vida secluded beach paddle boarding eli bismarck honda
Reviewed 17 July 2017

My kids were dying to learn to surf, and our travel agent scheduled private lessons for them at Arenas Adventures. When we got there, Randall Vines met us with a smile, promised he would take great care of the kids, and said that his instructor would have them up and surfing in minutes. Randall proved my skepticism wrong, as my kids were literally up and surfing within minutes of hitting the beach! The first instructor - named Eli (who I would highly recommend asking for by name) - was patient with my kids, made learning fun, and did a great job of teaching them to surf. He was personable, spoke perfect English, and went out of his way to ensure everyone had fun during the outing. In addition, when the waves picked up and the surf spot became very crowded, he brought the kids in, as he wanted to ensure their safety.
When we returned, Arenas Adventures gave the kids free ice cream (always a hit) from the ice cream and juice bar onsite. We also found that they had a really cool skate and surf shop with good prices directly onsite. We had the chance to hang out with Eli afterwards at Longboards (a Costa Rican BBQ restaurant nearby we would highly recommend), who told us more about the area, what to do, and what to see.

We were so impressed with Tamarindo and Arenas Adventures, that we went back the next day (spur of the moment decision and without an appointment) in hopes of getting further instruction for the kids or to rent surfboards for the day. Once again, we experienced great customer service, as Arenas Adventures got us another great instructor (Bismark), who took the kids out for another 90-minute surf lesson and excursion, which was great. When we returned, the kids again got ice cream, and I got the chance to talk with Randall. After talking to Randall, I wish we had had more time or at least planned better, as Arenas has a fleet of brand new Honda Dirt Bikes for rent CHEAP ($49 for a 24-hour period), and there are great places to ride. They also offer ATV tours that looked excellent. We ended up hanging out there for awhile before our dinner reservation at Pangas (which was about a 15-minute walk down a busy ride), and Randall even offered to take my family of 4 to the restaurant on ATVs.

There are a lot of places to book things through in Tamarindo, but I cannot imagine any being equal to or better than Arenas Adventures. My family had a blast with the experience, the service and people were great, and the memories they helped us make will last me a lifetime. If you want to experience the Coastal area of Costa Rica and the people, then there is no place better to do so than Arenas Adventures.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 17 June 2017

I rented a dual sport Honda 250 for a day and was not disappointed. You pay $50 for 24 hours, which is a lot more reasonable than renting a car around Tamarindo. I put over 100 miles on it exploring the countryside and that bike held up perfectly. They keep them in good condition and make renting a breeze, you just need a credit card and a motorcycle endorsement on your license. Only downside is they give you bicycle helmet, but I can totally understand why they wouldn't give out full blown expensive motorcycle helmets when people will probably drop them and damage them all the time. Employees here were honest and helpful, and they offer roadside assistance in case of a break down.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 14 June 2017

We used Areans to rent a motorcycle for the day, do a jungle ATV tour, and then finish up with some ziplines.

The ATV tour is fast and the guides are great about not limiting you on how fast you can go. While on the ATV tour the guides took time to show us local wild life and they drove us up to get a great view of the entire area. There were a few noob drivers on our tour that stalled and our guides were great about heading over to help them get unstuck. I highly recommend them for the ATV tour. The ziplines are nothing great but they're worth doing. The ziplines are 7 fast lines and a good climb up to one tree (Like rock climbing) to start your final descent. Overall for the price of the tour we got good value out of the tour. I'm taking one point off the rating because several of the ATV's only had one working break which is a little disconcerting when going down some of the downhills.

The motorcycle rental was just a basic rental for the day to go drive around the trails and explore the area. The motorcycle was well maintained.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank mattsos
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

Wonderful, patient and enthusiastic job by the crew at Arenas. Our family of four all got up, including boys 11 and 13. Definitely recommend.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Took two adventures with this group. First met Louis at the ramp at Flamingo. Went snorkeling clean boat, and he showed us all the ropes in and out along the way. We were so happy we booked an atv tour the next day. Even requested Louis again. Of course Randall complied with our needs. Great trip again. Monkeys etc.
great people!!