“True Caribe!”

Cocori
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Barva
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 16 February 2015

Cocori is a tiny hole-in-the-wall kind of place that serves first rate Caribbean food. Coconut rice, whole red snapper, chicken, etc. Having spent seven years living in the Caribbean, I consider myself somewhat of an expert on that cuisine, and Walter, the owner-cook, will not disappoint. It's as good as you're going to find.

1  Thank eestrebe

Reviewed 15 February 2015

The Caribbean Chicken with Rice and Beans is delicious, but especially with Janet's tasty home made hot sauce! Yum! Walter is a friendly guy, and it's heart warming to see the way he and his family have set up this nice little spot to bring the Caribbean to the central valley of Costa Rica.

Reviewed 6 February 2015

It's hard to find. The owner, Walter, is also the chef, maitre de, waiter, and bus boy. If there are a lot of people when you get there, plan on a bit of a wait. Although he has a menu, you're better off just asking what he bought at the market that morning. Tables and chairs serve their purpose, but not much more, and there are only three walls.

Think I'm complaining? I'm not. I've eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world, and this is one of my favorites.

If you like a predictable menu, you could call ahead and request that Walter buy the groceries for whatever you had last time, but for me half the fun is seeing what Walter can make for you out of whatever he happens to have in his kitchen that day. And, oh yes, be sure to ask for some of his homemade -- well, everything you'll get there is homemade -- but ask for his Caribbean ginger drink. Sort of like ... I don't know, just ask for it.

I go back as often as I can for whatever Walter is cooking that day, and I'll bet you will too.

Reviewed 31 January 2015

A hidden jewel! By luck, I found "Cocori, Carribbean Dish" (his spelling) tucked away behind a lawyer's office, just two house down the street from the Barva Cultural Center. I almost missed the small neon sign at the side of the office that said "Abierto". Walter Hines is the congenial proprietor of this tiny, one man, delicious restaurant. He has a limited menu; just the stuff that Mama would have made, had I had a Caribbean Mama. "Rice n Beans" made with coconut milk, Caribbean chicken (to die for), fish, shrimp, rondon soup (named for "run down" soup), platano in the traditional style, all with a Puerto Viejo taste. There's more on his menu, and I will go back many times as I have found the food that Walter makes to be tastefully authentic.