“Just Amazing food”

Solano's Trattoria
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

This place is great! I am a foodie and this small restaurant is all you want if you like Italian food: fresh pasta, lasagna, pizza, garlic bread... It is a small place but you will not regret. Good prices when compared with quality. Cons - parking is hard, it is next to the street so just a couple of cars can park in front of the place but... find a place near by, you have to try this one.

1  Thank Fernando H

Reviewed 27 January 2016

We are indeed fortunate to have a Culinary Institute of America graduate in our midst. Hugo is an expert at using the freshest ingredients to create perfect dishes. We are also lucky that the restaurant is in Belen rather than Escazu because dinner or lunch is a real bargain!

2  Thank BarryB967
Reviewed 28 October 2015

The place is much more thematically decorated than is typical for Costa Rica, especially for a little place like this. But it doesn't feel overly kitschy. The vibe is more like relaxed little Tuscan villa. The back patio is covered, but gets a nice, gentle breeze.

The executive lunch is a great deal. It was about 4,000 colones (roughly $8), and included salad, main course, drink and dessert. I had the chicken parmesan, and the breading was nicely crispy with a flavorful red sauce, full of diced tomatoes for texture. The cheese with it was a bit odd, and didn't quite work for me (a semi-maduro, meaning a notably stronger flavor than mozzarella), but it did melt nicely, and the overall meal was well-balanced and flavorful.

My partner ordered the Gorgonzola ravioli, and was served a somewhat small portion of very tasty and somewhat larger-than-normal gorgonzola tortellini. It ended up being a good portion size, in the end, just not the usual gluttony fest that somebody from the US might assume for an Italian restaurant.

All in all, this is one of my new favorite restaurants near my office, and I plan on taking all of our visiting executives there.

1  Thank Alex H
Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

Had dinner here for our last meal in Costa Rica and it was the right place to do it. It was so romantic. The owner spoke wonderful English and was very excited and passionate about his restaurant and the quality of the food.

Get the Sangria!!!! Holy moly the best sangria we ever had. I can drink those forever.

The plates were perfectly proportioned and the appetizers were very delicious. The salmon was crispy on the outwitted and so tender and juicy inside. The lobster was perfectly seasoned and sauced. You just have to go and check it out for yourself.

You walk in and once you sit down you're instantly transfered to another place. I loved when the train ride by. So cute.

1  Thank atticfloc
Reviewed 19 July 2015

Hugo, the owner and chef attended the Culinary Institute of America in New York. His knowledge and skills have attributed to the best handmade fresh pasta I've ever had the pleasure of eating! The afternoon we were there he offered fresh salmon filled raviolis he had just made. We divided a couple of orders for an appetizer for four of us. They were light and delicious! A must to order is the calamari appetizer! It is the best we have ever eaten in all of Costa Rica!

For the main course, my husband order one of the specials, a grilled to perfection huge fillet of Atlantic salmon served over a bed of fresh fettuccine with vegetables. I was delighted with another special; smoked salmon on a bed of fresh fettuccine with an Alfredo sauce. One of our friends was delighted with the chicken piccata and his wife enjoyed a pasta with sausage and vegetables. The focaccia bread is a must to try too! We have eaten there several times recently and every meal has been delicious. Portions are huge, resulting in taking some home for another meal. It is on our top list of places to dine. You will be amazed at the prices along with the superb quality and quantity of the food served by friendly staff.

Hugo is in the process of doing a little remodeling to make the ambiance more conducive to a wonderful dining experience, but it's not interfering with the service. It's a small, family operated, casual restaurant. A must try!

1  Thank Laurie58574