“an interesting visit”
Review of Il Cavallino

Il Cavallino
Reviewed 24 January 2018

I took my wife here for dinner after reading several reviews. When we arrived we were greeted and escorted to a table. The restaurant was busy and everything looked great. A very nice waiter arrived and told us about the specials. We ordered drinks and looked over the menu. A waitress arrived at the table and proceeded to ask us if we had been told about the specials. She spoke so fast that neither my wife nor I could understand her Spanish. My wife is Tica and I have 30 years travelling and living in Central America. When she noticed the puzzled look on my face she proceeded to ask if it was better that she spoke in English. It might have helped except that she spoke equally fast in not so great English. She apologized and explained that they were very busy. Asked if we were ready to order, and I asked for a few more minutes to look over the menu. Then another waitress or maybe not waitress came to our table and asked if we were ready to order. We said yes. My wife ordered her entrée, and then I ordered an appetizer. I specified that this would be an appetizer for my wife and I to share. Then I ordered my entrée. After waiting about 20-25 minutes they brought my wife's entrée. Then came back with another plate asking if we were going to share it. I explained to the waitress that we had ordered an appetizer and did not understand why the entrée came out first. She asked if she should take it back and I said normally an appetizer is served first and Yes please bring the appetizer first. Two minutes later she brought the appetizer. Then the entrees, after we finished. The food was very good. Small but ample portions. We finished our meal. The fast speaking waitress returned and asked how was the food, we complimented the chef and asked for the check. We waited about 15-20 minutes for the bill. I reviewed it and noticed that they had charged twice for my wife's entrée. I waved over the waitress that bought us the check and she already knew why. The corrected check came back less than a minute later... We had ordered several expensive drinks, some of the most expensive entrees on the menu. And they try to charge me for their mistake. We were attended by 5 different people. That is a mistake. Too bad that our initial waiter had not served us the whole time. I am sure that we would have had a much better experience. We watched the staff rushing to reset tables instead of attending to the customers that were already there. We spent about $120 for dinner for two. And they felt that they needed to try and take advantage of us, and hope that I would just pay the bill without looking at it. The chef obviously knows how to cook very well. The wait staff are quite unprofessional. It might be better for lunch when the staff might have a chance to have things under control.

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

I popped in for a quick lunch in early December. The place is well designed and has a classy feel to it. I had the risotto which was really tasty. I don’t think it helped my waistline though. The waitress was great and really friendly. She could see I was on my own and made an effort to chat with me. Bear in mind there is a business park next to it and therefore it gets busy with a lot of business types, whose conversations you never feel tempted to eavesdrop for long.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

My wife and I went here as a change of pace from the nearby Marriott hotel. The food was excellent and the speed of service was good. Nice quaint location

1  Thank Jason N
Reviewed 29 December 2017

Located one block away from the Marriott hotel and better than what this gorgeous hotel has to offer. A good alternative for lunch and dinner with seafood dishes, pizza's, risotto etc. Also, serving some local dishes and worthwhile a try when staying over at the Marriott.

1  Thank lex195
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We are tour guides for US basketball teams visiting Costa Rica. It is difficult to get meals at one time for a whole team. El Cavallino's amazing chef made us a special menu so we could pre-order. We needed food at some odd hours and had various dietary exceptions and they were so gracious in serving us. The food was over the top good. Their Caesar salad is great and every sauce is perfection. We probably sent 10 groups of 30 through with NO complaints. Thank you Il Cavallino!