“A spot of boutique tranquility”
Review of Hotel Blue Conga

Hotel Blue Conga
Reviewed 1 April 2015 via mobile

Fantastic stay. Very special. So friendly. A lovely welcome and exceptionally helpful.

It is is the perfect location. Less than a km walk to the centre of town but far enough away from all the noise and bustle. Some of the best restaurants are by the hotel. A bar and 'super'market within 50m. You could rent a bike but it is so close it may not be worth it. We rented a $6 bike to cycle the 8km to Peurto Uvu.

We had the standard room in the ground floor. It had a big balcony with table and hammock. We fell a sleep a few times in the hammock...

The room was spotless and well sized. There was a double and single. As the website etc clearly states there was no air-con. Not that we needed it. We aren't used to being spoilt by such things. There was a super powerful fan. It worked a treat.

Bathroom was clean and nice. Lovely hot shower and big cubicle.

There were big insect nets around the bed but we didn't use. My girlfriend is loved by anything that sucks blood and she didn't get bitten the three nights we were in town.

Bed was comfy. I prefer a firmer mattress as it is better for my bad back.

The hotel had wifi throughout. No matter where you sat, by the pool or the room you got it. It was much better than anything you get in the UK.

Breakfast was perfect. We had just come from Chicago where breakfasts are disgustingly large. It was nice to have something tasty and fresh. A lovely array of fruit. Some was grown in the garden. Eggs different ways depending on day. About the quantity of eggs I would make back home so must be a couple each. Healthy levels.

They were happy to arrange tours. Rent bikes etc. We got them to arrange our bus back to San Jose for $50. It meant we were leaving before breakfast so they made something the night before and popped in fridge.

There was free bottled water. Saved us a fortune. An honesty bar for glass drinks was available and was the same price as the supermarket in town.

The pool area is amazing. Water warm and you can sit reading your book. Heaven.

The other guests were very down to earth and friendly. It was nice to meet guests who come back every year. A good sign.

Really a piece of paradise. Can't understand some of the terrible comments below because they can't be further from what we experienced. If the beer was expensive, it isn't now. There is no air con. I can read, it never said there was. The place is spotless. Staff super friendly and the wifi must have been updated as it is now amazing. The fan would blow you over it is so powerful. All contrary to what a few odd comments said below.

It had character. If you want a Holiday Inn then this is maybe not the place for you.

I hope I can come back! Fantastic.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank coxy_gj

Reviewed 29 March 2015

I stayed at Blue Congo with two friends. The room was very well maintained and the staff is more than willing to help with recommendations for restaurants and excursions. They have bike rentals and a pool - though we did not capitalize on either, many did. The location is easy to find and if you rent a car you must visit Punta Uva as it's a quick 10 minute drive away.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hoisinsauced
Reviewed 25 March 2015

My fiancé and I stayed at Hotel Blue Conga about a year ago and I am just now sitting down to write a review. Despite my tardiness, I wanted to share my experience because I had such a good experience at Hotel Blue Conga. I was 5 months pregnant at the time, taking a "babymoon," and my fiancé and I were supposed to rent a house from a local. After a long flight and drive, the local didn't show up to let us in the house! We were beyond devastated. Luckily, I had looked into other options before arriving in Puerto Viejo, so I had seen some pictures of Hotel Blue Conga. When we showed up late in the evening looking for a room, they saved the day! The hotel was able to accommodate us for the entire week, and we had such a nice stay. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the breakfasts were always fresh and delicious. We had a wonderful stay and would absolutely stay at Hotel Blue Conga again.

Room Tip: We liked having a room on the second floor with a balcony that overlooked the pool and courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LotusJC
Reviewed 3 March 2015

Eric and Stephanie were lovely hosts. They support the locals and take care of their guests better than you can imagine.

Close to the beach and the main attractions, I definitely recommend this place for anyone who would like to spend a great time around Puerto Viejo and its surroundings.

I wish I could have spent more time on the coast to appreciate even more all the recommendations of the owners.

Don't hesitate, this hotel is safe, peaceful and green !

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2015

My husband and I were in great need of a vacation and decided to return to Costa Rica. We had chosen the treehouse lodge, but they were already full for our first night. Finding stephanie and the blue Congo was better than we could have hoped. She took such good care of us. Our room was very clean and comfortable and the next day breakfast and the pool were perfect for us to unwind and get into vacation mode. We definitely recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple