All reviews the owner puerto viejo walking distance to town enjoyed our stay cocles beach every morning nice pool breakfast included couple of nights mosquito net hot water air conditioning coffee maker beautiful place great hosts pura vida howler monkeys
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Let me start by saying Stephanie is lovely, very accommodating and friendly. Hotel Blue Congo is a wee bit out from the centre but an easy 10min walk will get you there.

It has taken me a while to review our trip to Costa Rica. When we arrived in Puerto Viejo it was hot, even the locals were struggling with the heat. The hotel doesn't have air conditioning. The portable air conditioner unit in the room is not effective enough to claim air con. It only runs cooler air for a less than 5mins because it uses freezer packs, which in the any heat, defrost so quickly and isn't enough to make a bit of difference. We had 2 fans running all night which were noisy and didn't cool the room at all, circulating hot air. I'm a light sleeper anyway and I struggled having the fans on all night, circulating hot air.

The room we got was basic but clean, the hotel is a really lovely b&b, I wouldn't/couldn't call it a hotel. The facilities are just too basic for it to be a hotel. The breakfast is simple, 3 pieces of fruit, a fried egg and half a slice of toast. The place can claim to have breakfast, wifi and air con but not of a standard. It would be like me claiming I am a travel writer because I have been somewhere and written about it. The quality isn't high enough to make the claims in my opinion.

We had come from a b&b in Monteverde which was higher quality, cheaper and had the facilities that backed up their claims of wifi, air con and breakfast.

It is on the Caribbean and you don't go on holiday to sit in the room but when the heat is debilitating, I would seek my hotel room with air con rather than having to use the freezer section in the local supermarket. The water is not drinkable although there is a water urn to fill up your bottles and a fridge in the room. There is no tv which I completely agree with considering the area and close by jungle. Some luxuries I can go without!

If it wasn't for the friendliness and hospitable welcome of Stephanie, I would have given the Blue Congo an average rating and having met Stephanie, I believe I have given an honest representation of our experience which may be disappointing to hear, as I know she will read this. If I were to return to the town, I would probably look for a hotel. If Hotel Blue Congo were to rename to a b&b, I would give it 5/5. As a hotel, I honestly think they need to invest in a few improvements.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cozzie121
Reviewed 4 July 2017

What a lovely surprise! This is a charming little hotel, located walking distance from Puerto Viejo. We stayed here in May and were super impressed with the setting. We had an upper room with a large private balcony and views to the garden. The rooms are spacious and very well equipped with everything you need for a great stay. The property has a beautiful lush tropical garden that features a lovely swimming pool- our favourite spot! Great, hearty breakfast every morning. Wifi was excellent! Many thanks to the lovely Stephanie, for making us feel at home! We enjoyed our stay. Keep up the great work and please come to Panama for a visit :)

Room Tip: They have an honour system for the bar, for a super enjoyable and romantic evening by the pool!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa Q
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

I visited this hotel as the last stop for a Mission Trip with a group of teenagers and adults. The place was very accommodating to us and even packed up to-go fruit as breakfast for our early departure! When we arrived they welcomed us at the small parking lot and directed us to the eating common area to give us an intro and official welcome. The rooms we had already had the key in there so it was a very smooth transition!

The rooms were all different. Some of the group members had bunk beds and a queen bed in their room. My room had 3 twin beds. The water pressure was good and they had hot water which was a relief!! They had a small "AC unit" in which you put ice to cool down and a fan for the room which was enough since it was small.

The room was really nice, it had a small fridge, a microwave, a hair dryer, coffee maker, and a safe. My room also had a porch with a table and a hammock which wasn't really comfortable but good enough to relax for a little bit.

My only complain with the room was that the Internet was not strong enough in my room...at times I didn't even get the signal that it was available! I feel they may help this by getting an expansion...I mean if your going to offer something make it good!!

I will definitely recommend this hotel tho...it's a bit hidden in a back street but it was accessible. Just make sure your looking for it because you may miss it! It was close enough to everything too that you may not even need to drive around for shopping or beach access so that was awesome!!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2017

I stayed at the blue conga for 11 days and I could not have asked for more. Great location, quite, clean and a wonderful staff. Need anything just ask stephanie or peggy and they will take care of it. I cannot wait till the next time I visit.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 16 May 2017

Very friendly owners who will do whatever they can to make your stay a good one. Lovely little pool, undercover area for breakfast. Good location, 10 minutes walk from centre, 10 minutes walk to great surfing beach. Very friendly cat too.

Stayed: May 2017